The Student Room Group

Uni essays difficult

I've been at university for almost 2 years now and I'm finding the work quite difficult and I have been told that in my last essay my English is poor even though it's my mother tongue.

Often people think I'm foreign and I do learn other languages quite intensley. Don't know if that's anything to do with it? But I am English.

It's really discouraging me for my next few essays, because I'm worried I'll write something wrong or it will be 'poor English'.

Anybody have any advice?
Original post by eat146
I've been at university for almost 2 years now and I'm finding the work quite difficult and I have been told that in my last essay my English is poor even though it's my mother tongue.

Often people think I'm foreign and I do learn other languages quite intensley. Don't know if that's anything to do with it? But I am English.

It's really discouraging me for my next few essays, because I'm worried I'll write something wrong or it will be 'poor English'.

Anybody have any advice?

:console: sorry to hear that.

Does your uni have an 'academic skills centre' or something similar to that? If so, they should have courses and workshops that should help you improve your writing skills amongst other things.

Whether it's to do with you knowing other languages, I'm not sure. :redface:

It may also be worth looing at previous essays, seeing if you can spot the issues yourself, if not ask for feedback or have someone read it for you and see if they can point it out, and learn from that. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest