The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Diagnostic radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strabane15
Hi had anyone applied for Diagnostic radiography & received offers or attended interview

I got an unconditional didnt even do an interview :smile:
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by beth313
Hello everyone,

I'm a first year student doing diagnostic imaging at UWE and I'm here to try and give you some advice for interview etc. I know what it's like to be looking for information and not finding any! Myself and some of my course friends are happy to answer your questions if you message me directly. I might not be very efficient at answering because I do have a lot of work to do but I want to help if I can.

Good luck! :smile:

Can I ask you what placement is like? E.g what hours do you do and do you ever do nights and stuff like that?
Original post by beth313
Hello everyone,

I'm a first year student doing diagnostic imaging at UWE and I'm here to try and give you some advice for interview etc. I know what it's like to be looking for information and not finding any! Myself and some of my course friends are happy to answer your questions if you message me directly. I might not be very efficient at answering because I do have a lot of work to do but I want to help if I can.

Good luck! :smile:

Hello! Thank you so much for answering the questions above, it has been so useful! I am currently undecided about Cardiff or UWE? I just don't know which one to choose as my firm! Please may I ask why you picked UWE, where else did you apply and which accommodation are you in currently? Thank you!!
Reply 23
Original post by shannolivia
Hello! Thank you so much for answering the questions above, it has been so useful! I am currently undecided about Cardiff or UWE? I just don't know which one to choose as my firm! Please may I ask why you picked UWE, where else did you apply and which accommodation are you in currently? Thank you!!

I have been exactly the same but decided on Cardiff as firm and UWE as insurance as its closer to home and more familiar to me as I live in Wales. I had a good feeling about Glenside campus at UWE, more so than Cardiff. However Cardiff wants BBB and UWE 300 UCAS points so it depends on what you think your grades could be. I have other UCAS points to go with my A Levels for UWE but Cardiff iis not so flexible. I am aiming for BBB but if I have to take UWE as my insurance it won't be the end of the world. I thought it made sense to put the higher grade Uni first as firm and if I met BBB I may have been gutted if I had put UWE as firm.
The only pain will be if I don't meet Cardiff and get UWE I will have to apply again for the bursary with NHS England after applying to NHS Wales as well as the accommodation. That won't leave you much time to secure the bursary from results to starting and no guarantees of getting accommodation in Glenside.
Reply 24
Original post by daniellee0
Can I ask you what placement is like? E.g what hours do you do and do you ever do nights and stuff like that?

I haven't been on placement yet but as I start next week (eek!) I can tell you some things. For your first placement you have to do something like 525 hours over the 14 weeks which works out at 37.5 hours a week. This is generally Monday to Friday with half a day off each week (decided between you and your placement). As far as I know, first year you do not do nights. I think you might be given the opportunity in following years but you do not have to take it.
NHS bursary will pay separately for your travel expenses and accommodation expenses (if you have to move away for placement). For UWE, all the hospitals they use are in the surrounding area: Southmead, BRI, UHB (Bath), Weston, Gloucester and Swindon. You do not get to choose where you go but you can subtly hint :wink:
On placement, you get to have some time in each area e.g. General, A&E, CT, theatre etc. You get assessed by a log book (recording what examinations you have done), reflective essays on your week and appraisals (where someone watches you do an examination). Yes there is a lot of paperwork that goes with placement but I'm sure it will be a really fun experience!
Reply 25
Original post by shannolivia

I didn't look at Cardiff because it was just too far away from home for me. I am biased for UWE so it's good someone answered about Cardiff :smile:
I applied to Exeter and Portsmouth and got rejected from both so an offer from UWE was my only option but it was a great option. My course friend had 5 offers from pretty much everywhere it seems but she chose UWE because it's closer to her home, she loves Bristol and the course is amazing.
In regards to grades, my UWE offer was 300 UCAS points and I came out with BBD but with my dropped AS grade and an EPQ I managed to get in! As you can see, I wouldn't have got into many other places! My predicted grades were much higher but A levels are hard (as you probably know). I'm glad UWE gave me the flexibility to not do as well in one subject (physics so understandable!)
I'm currently in the Hollies accommodation which I love! I'm just a 5 minute walk from lectures but yet have enough distance to not always be thinking about work. I share a flat with 4 others and we have a really lovely kitchen/diner. We do share a bathroom which I was worried about before I came but we've had no problems yet. The bedrooms are large and it's nice to have your own space. They have recently redecorated some of the flat's in the main building and they are very modern and lovely. The people here all care about each other and it's fairly quiet most of the time too. It's just a 15 minute walk to the shops and there's a lot of choice: Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Poundland etc, We all say with the Hollies: it's great value for money!
There are bonuses to being on Glenside campus accommodation because you are so close to lectures and the grounds are pretty. What put me off is that the kitchens and bedrooms really do vary in size and shape quite dramatically. One 8 bed flat has a really tiny kitchen compared to how many people live there. (And there's also the fact that Glenside is haunted...)
Overall, pick UWE because the course is really good, the lecturers and students are really friendly, you get a good amount of practical experience and you will become an awesome radiographer.
Reply 26
Original post by doubter
I have been exactly the same but decided on Cardiff as firm and UWE as insurance as its closer to home and more familiar to me as I live in Wales. I had a good feeling about Glenside campus at UWE, more so than Cardiff. However Cardiff wants BBB and UWE 300 UCAS points so it depends on what you think your grades could be. I have other UCAS points to go with my A Levels for UWE but Cardiff iis not so flexible. I am aiming for BBB but if I have to take UWE as my insurance it won't be the end of the world. I thought it made sense to put the higher grade Uni first as firm and if I met BBB I may have been gutted if I had put UWE as firm.
The only pain will be if I don't meet Cardiff and get UWE I will have to apply again for the bursary with NHS England after applying to NHS Wales as well as the accommodation. That won't leave you much time to secure the bursary from results to starting and no guarantees of getting accommodation in Glenside.

Why can you not apply to both wales & uk for bursary etc so everything in place until results come in... thats what I done for scotland & uk
Reply 27
I didn't know you could do that. That would be great if I could. Did you just tell the bursary you didn't want when results came in?
Thankyou
Reply 28
Original post by doubter
I didn't know you could do that. That would be great if I could. Did you just tell the bursary you didn't want when results came in?
Thankyou

Yip thats it that way everything sorted & no hold ups when results are out...
Ive interview now uwe on Thursday how'd you find it ... super nervous especially about written piece really don't want to mess up
Reply 29
Original post by strabane15
Yip thats it that way everything sorted & no hold ups when results are out...
Ive interview now uwe on Thursday how'd you find it ... super nervous especially about written piece really don't want to mess up

No need to be nervous pretty laid back and staff are nice. You are just using key words relevant to radiography that you would have used in your statement and mentioned in radiography career info. 4 questions based on teamwork, communication, caring etc and plenty of blagging lol
Good luck you will be fine.
Reply 30
Original post by doubter
No need to be nervous pretty laid back and staff are nice. You are just using key words relevant to radiography that you would have used in your statement and mentioned in radiography career info. 4 questions based on teamwork, communication, caring etc and plenty of blagging lol
Good luck you will be fine.

Thanks appreciated & good luck with bursary
I am also undecided about Cardiff or UWE!
I felt that the Glenside Campus was very dead when I was there for interview? It didn't have much of a buzz around....did you guys think so? Maybe I just caught it on a quiet day :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by aingeal.de.paor
I felt that the Glenside Campus was very dead when I was there for interview? It didn't have much of a buzz around....did you guys think so? Maybe I just caught it on a quiet day :tongue:

I firmed Cardiff and put UWE as insurance. It was a quiet campus compared to some but take into account you will be doing placements so you may appreciate the quiet. There will be other healthcare students doing the same but there is nothing stopping you staying at Frenchay campus and cycling or catching bus.
Reply 33

It is a quiet campus but I don't see it as a bad thing! I agree it's good for on placement so you can get some sleep. Everybody gets to know each other and it is a brilliant community. Loads of flat parties go on and it is easy to get to Frenchay campus anyway. It's a beautiful place to be and has a real community feeling :smile:
Original post by doubter
I firmed Cardiff and put UWE as insurance. It was a quiet campus compared to some but take into account you will be doing placements so you may appreciate the quiet. There will be other healthcare students doing the same but there is nothing stopping you staying at Frenchay campus and cycling or catching bus.

I'm still waiting on another reply so I can't accept anything yet :frown: True it might be nice to have some peace and quiet!
Original post by beth313
It is a quiet campus but I don't see it as a bad thing! I agree it's good for on placement so you can get some sleep. Everybody gets to know each other and it is a brilliant community. Loads of flat parties go on and it is easy to get to Frenchay campus anyway. It's a beautiful place to be and has a real community feeling :smile:

It did seem like there would be a good community spirit there :smile: do you find that the college is very far from the city? Or do you tend to stay on campus?
Reply 36
It did seem like there would be a good community spirit there :smile: do you find that the college is very far from the city? Or do you tend to stay on campus?

It's like 20-30 minutes from city centre (good buses) but I don't go that often because it's normally quite busy there. I generally stay on campus and just go up to Fishponds (local shops) if I need anything.
Original post by beth313
It's like 20-30 minutes from city centre (good buses) but I don't go that often because it's normally quite busy there. I generally stay on campus and just go up to Fishponds (local shops) if I need anything.

Cool, thanks for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending