The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Lots of places prospectuses say they will not discriminate against students who don't have a forth AS level. I have no idea what ME/CFS is but I guess most medical students should!
Reply 2
Most med schools say that they do not discriminate on the grounds of disability unless your disability would prevent you from fulfilling your duties as a doctor as stated in "Good Medical Practice" by the GMC.

I'm not sure how bad chronic fatigue is or how much it affects you personally, but it'd definitely be worth phoning any med school before applying to check that it won't affect your application.

On the other hand tho, being a doctor can be very tiring/exhausting for people who are healthy. So I guess you have to think about whether you could cope with it given you've got CFS...
Reply 3
Medical schools are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of actual entry to practice either... Medicine is, after all, *just* a degree...
Reply 4
Fluffy
Medical schools are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of actual entry to practice either... Medicine is, after all, *just* a degree...

Yes but surely if you are disabled to the point where you cannot complete/take part in the clinical elements of the degree you will not pass the degree. There must be some point where your ability to complete the degree is compromised by your disability.
The 3 A levels might hinder you unless you can say it was due to the ME or that your school just doesn't do 4 AS levels as a rule.

As for your ME, the RF&UCMS prospectus goes into the general guidelines in quite explicit detail. Here's a link:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/prospective-students/prospectus/index.htm
Reply 6
Iscariot
Yes but surely if you are disabled to the point where you cannot complete/take part in the clinical elements of the degree you will not pass the degree. There must be some point where your ability to complete the degree is compromised by your disability.

I know someone with NPS who got onto a medicine course. Between interview and starting they had to prove that they could adequately do CPR, but that was all. They got together with a very senior nurse (interestinly now a doctor - well in a few months!!) and worked out a technique that worked.

Latest

Trending

Trending