The Student Room Group

Citalopram side effects

Hey everyone :biggrin: I'm on 20mg of Citrolopram, I was on 10mg before and with 10mg I felt sick for quiet a while but that was the only side effect that I've had with Citrolopram with the 10mg ones and I felt a bit panicky as well for a little but but I'm pretty sure that's normal when you first take tablets, On the 20mg ones I've been feeling like not talking to many people and staying in doors though and not feeling like going out, I also have a question for people on Citrolopram is it possible to have 2 thought at the same time? One in the background of your orgional thought?
Thanks
Jade :biggrin:
Hi I have been on citalopram previously (suffering depression related to a difficult bereavement) and I had to stop it due to severe side effects however I think I was on 40mg of citalopram at the time.

It's important to keep talking to your GP and letting them know how you are getting on. If you feel this treatment isn't suiting you there are other antidepressants available.

Citalopram is after all a treatment that affects the serotonin in your brain so again as you started it so recently this may account for the odd thoughts you have been experiencing.

Citalopram like any drug can have a number of side effects, some people may experience none at all whist others may experience more problematic ones.
How long have you been taking 20mg? For me, the side effects lasted around 2 weeks before they eased up. Citalopram is a bit famous for dodgy side effects so I wouldn't say it's anything to be concerned about - if you're really concerned I'd recommend letting your doctor know.
Thank you for replying back to me so quickly I've been on the 20 MG Citrolopram for almost a week now and I will ring the drs on Tuesday to see what they say when I talk to them.
I found the 10mg ones were the worst I felt sick wih those ones but with the 20mg ones I haven't felt bad with them just not wanting to go out or really talking to many people.
I was looking at forums and I could see that people had said that the tablets where dodgy for a lot of people maybe could try other antidepresants.
How long have you been on them?
Jade :biggrin:
Don't worry, I felt panicky too when I had it, it does settle after 2 weeks and you notice a difference in your mood. Whether it's a good difference or not is unique to you. In fact, everything you've described in the op is word for word my experience, especially with the staying indoors :redface: It you've noticed a negative change with it, try a different one :smile:
Thank you so much and I will be talking to my dr :biggrin:
I'm wondering if I have more effects because I have Dyspraxia do you guys think that could be why?
I've been taking 20mg since April, the side effects were pretty bad at first (it was mostly jaw clenching, sleeping a lot, depersonalisation and a lot of yawning) but they were almost completely gone after around 4 weeks. Doctors usually prefer to give the medication around 4 weeks before considering changing, unless the side effects are particularly bad.

When you say you don't feel like going out or talking to people, is it because you just don't want to or is it something like you're not enjoying it any more? Can I also ask what you're taking them for?
I'm taking them because I've been depressed and I've been irritablitable too and a lot of stuff has been happening at home that has made me depressed. I feel like my mum's bf has been getting inbetween me and my mum for along time now and I try and tell her that he has been but of course as he's her bf she's not going to listen to me and that makes me feel down and not want to talk to people as well my mum and a lot of my family think I have a mental condition like my dad he had Bipolar so I get classed like my dad a lot because me and him have simular traits - I was with someone in Iceland but I've now ended the relationship because my mum and her partner didn't agree with me being with him and a lot of that has caused my depression and I've been told to move out from home more than 2 x because a lot of this it's a longer story than that but I cut off some of my family members as well because I felt like they were picking on me while I was at theirs I've always felt the outcast of my family because I have Dyspraxia a lot of people don't understand it espeically when they aren't in your shoes,
I also tend to get picked on as well when I go out unless I know it's a safe enviroment for me so I only go out when I know it's a safe enviroment or as safe as it can be,

Quick Reply

Latest