The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay for anti-depressant prescriptions on the NHS?

As per title, employed adult.
Yes, if you live in England.
If you normally pay for prescriptions then yes. I don't pay for my antidepressants because I have hypothyroidism and that allows me have a medical exemption card.

Are you over 18? If you're under 18 and in full-time education then it's also free.

In Scotland it's all free. (maybe Wales too?)

I wouldn't let this be a consideration for whether you take ADs though. Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I used to pay and I always valued sanity/functioning over the £8 per batch. I would always ask the GP to prescribe me the max months supply if poss so that the money goes further and you don't need to shell out for the prescription as regularly.
Original post by Anonymous
If you normally pay for prescriptions then yes. I don't pay for my antidepressants because I have hypothyroidism and that allows me have a medical exemption card.

Are you over 18? If you're under 18 and in full-time education then it's also free.

In Scotland it's all free. (maybe Wales too?)

I wouldn't let this be a consideration for whether you take ADs though. Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I used to pay and I always valued sanity/functioning over the £8 per batch. I would always ask the GP to prescribe me the max months supply if poss so that the money goes further and you don't need to shell out for the prescription as regularly.

Sorry just realised you said that you are an employed Adult. Ignore the 18 bit.
Reply 5
Thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest