The Student Room Group

What's it like in Lancaster?

I'm planning to study economics at Lancaster and I don't really know much about the city. The uni is 6 hours away from where I live, so I won't be attending any open days. Is it multicultural? ( I heard its 97.8% white)What's the night life like?
Thanks in advance ☺️
Reply 1
Original post by blossommango97
I'm planning to study economics at Lancaster and I don't really know much about the city. The uni is 6 hours away from where I live, so I won't be attending any open days. Is it multicultural? ( I heard its 97.8% white)What's the night life like?
Thanks in advance ☺️

terrible nightlife, incredibly boring city thats pretty disgusting - definitely choose somewhere else
Original post by rob swire
terrible nightlife, incredibly boring city thats pretty disgusting - definitely choose somewhere else

I thought it was a beautiful city 😔 I don't want to go to a big city like London or Birmingham. I guess I will visit Warwick and Nottingham
Thanks 😊
Original post by blossommango97
I thought it was a beautiful city 😔 I don't want to go to a big city like London or Birmingham. I guess I will visit Warwick and Nottingham
Thanks 😊

It is beautiful, I have visited there twice and have nothing but positive things to say. Plus there's a castle :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by littlenorthernlass
It is beautiful, I have visited there twice and have nothing but positive things to say. Plus there's a castle :biggrin:

i live there and believe me it isn't haha
I don't think its a disgusting city to be honest.

I chose Lancaster because I really liked the university, which is a little bit outside of the city. The university has an excellent management school and a good employment rate. I really liked the campus and it felt safe. It definitely does not have a big city feel, being a large campus university.

The night life is okay, we have Sugarhouse as a night club and each college has its own bar. Sugar is okay, it is rather popular so you wont be alone in there but i don't think it would compete with some of the city night clubs?
Original post by rob swire
i live there and believe me it isn't haha

I think you're wrong then. It is a gorgeous place.
Reply 7
Rainy.
Reply 8
I think rob swire must of gone to another Lancaster, defi not the one I'm at. Beautiful city, really good nightlife - granted no big clubs but a lot of nice bars and pubs, I'm Asian and have never had any problems - although it is predominantly white. northerners are really friendly I find.
Reply 9
The city has a Dickensian feel to it with the architecture. Quite an old and historic town. Nightlife is decent, not comparable to big cities but considering the size of Lancaster it holds up well. That said the nightlife was a lot better around 4 or 5 years ago. There is a thriving but small arts and culture scene if that's your thing. Lancaster has a small but significant community of Asians, and of course the university has a multicultural mix. It is mostly White British, but don't let that equate to bigotry or prejudice, most people up here are pretty tolerant and welcoming. Weather wise it is rainy, much like 80% of the UK, but hardly ever cold due to it's proximity to the coast. Short journey to the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales, and also adjacent to Morecambe Bay if you like nature.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I think you're wrong then. It is a gorgeous place.

This is the girl who insists that Bradford is a nice place :facepalm:
Original post by Friar Chris
This is the girl who insists that Bradford is a nice place :facepalm:

Yeah ok I've gone off Bradford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending