The Student Room Group

(AQA) A2 Sociology *SCLY3 + SCLY4* | 2016 Official Thread

(AQA) A2 SOCIOLOGY OFFICIAL THREAD

The aim of this thread was to share revision tips, model answers, resources, and even practice together as we got closer to the exam date (which has now officially passed!)

*Dates of exams*
SCLY3 - 20 June 2016 (am)
Completed
SCLY4 - 23 June 2016 (pm)
Completed

How did both exams go? Share your thoughts and experiences here.

ACTUAL QUESTIONS

Beliefs in Society

Identify and briefly explain why ethnic minorities are more likely than the majority of the population to join religious or spiritual organisations. (9)

Assess the extent to which religion promotes social change? (18)

EITHER Critically examine the nature and extent of secularisation in the world today (33)
OR Question about science and ideology (33)

Power and Politics

Identify and briefly explain why opinion polls may not reflect the actual vote. (9)

Assess the view that there is a dominant elite in society today. (18)

EITHER Critically evaluate the role of the contemporary state (33)
OR Critically evaluate the functions of Pressure Groups and New Social Movements (33)

Mass Media

Identify and explain three arguments why exposure to media violence does not cause violence. (9)

Assess the way in which some media representations of the young and old can be seen as stereotypical. (18)

EITHER Assess the impact of New Media (33)
OR 'News is always biased.' To what extent do sociological arguments support this view? (33)

Global Development

No one has provided the questions for this section as of yet.

Crime and Deviance

Discuss sociological explanations of the effectiveness of crime prevention strategies. (21)

Discuss sociological explanations of the trends and patterns of state crime. (21)

Self-completion questionnaires when investigating victims of crime. (15)

Asses the postmodernist era and how postmodernism provides the best explanations of the world today (33)

Fill in the really quick and easy form below if you can:

AS Grade:
A2 Personal Target Grade:
Topics studying:

I'll do mine:

Spoiler

May this 2016 be a successful one for all of us! :dance:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

AS Grade: B
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Topics studying: Mass Media (Unit 3) and Stratification & Differentiation (Unit 4)

there are A2 exams in May though??? i thought Unit 4 was on 23 June :s-smilie:
Original post by itseigengrau
Topics studying: Mass Media (Unit 3) and Stratification & Differentiation (Unit 4)

there are A2 exams in May though??? i thought Unit 4 was on 23 June :s-smilie:

Ah silly mistake! I was reading the AS exam date - thanks for pointing that out! :colondollar:

How are you finding the course so far? :h:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Ah silly mistake! I was reading the AS exam date - thanks for pointing that out! :colondollar:

How are you finding the course so far? :h:

I love how relevant Sociology is but I find it so difficult to interpret mark schemes... plus the Unit 4 we do at my college is boring because it's just the basic views of theories (wish we could do Crime as well but apparently it's too long:confused:) so sometimes I dread :frown: I need to up my grade though because of the uni offers I got but I have no idea how that's gonna happen...:s-smilie:
How about you?
Original post by itseigengrau
I love how relevant Sociology is but I find it so difficult to interpret mark schemes... plus the Unit 4 we do at my college is boring because it's just the basic views of theories (wish we could do Crime as well but apparently it's too long:confused:) so sometimes I dread :frown: I need to up my grade though because of the uni offers I got but I have no idea how that's gonna happen...:s-smilie:
How about you?

Crime and Deviance is VERY long but it's the sort of stuff you'd remember. A lot is dependent on you learning independently too so I'm not sure whether you'd like it or not :lol: My class is going too slow though so I've gone ahead and completed the two topics we have left of it and I'm starting to read through SCLY3 (Beliefs in Society) on my own :redface:

I find it really hard to put together an essay, there's so much to put in but you have to remind yourself that you don't need to squeeze everything in!

I sort of like the Methods in Context section but I'm so scared about what area of Crime and Deviance they'll choose to pick :afraid:

I suck at essay type questions in general (which i saw in my broken down results sheet) so I've really got to work my backside off this year!
Reply 5
I need some advice guys
Do you think I should retake unit 2 education paper or leave it as the low B grade I've got and concentrate on trying to get A's on Unit 3 and 4?

People always say to be careful when in A2 and not do so many retakes as you may spend less time on the A2 units which is worth more but at the same time I need an A grade and if j can improve the Unit 2 mark...it would mean I will need less marks in A2
Reply 6
:party2: (AQA) A2 SOCIOLOGY OFFICIAL THREAD:party2:

*Dates of exams*
SCLY3 - 20 June 2016 (am)
SCLY4 - 23 June 2016 (pm)

The aim of this thread is to share revision tips, model answers, resources, and even practice together as we get closer to the exam date.

This thread may be a little early but I'm sure by now (it would be worrying if not) people know whether or not they will carry on Sociology for A2

We are officially the last year to do the old spec (thank god!) so our AS grades still count towards our final A level grade :afraid:

Fill in the really quick and easy form below if you can!:

AS Grade:
A2 Personal Target Grade:
Topics studying*:

*(For AQA - Unit 3 choices are Beliefs, Global Development, or Mass Media. Unit 4 choices are either Crime & Deviance with Theory & Methods, or Stratification & Differentiation with Theory & Methods)

I'll do mine:

Topics studying*: Beliefs + Crime and Deviance

May this 2016 be a successful one for all of us! :dance:

Are you retaking any AS units?
Original post by xxvine
Are you retaking any AS units?

Hey!

No I won't, I was 4 UMS (about 1-2 marks?) away from an A but I really feel like I can keep myself on a B if I attain a mid-C overall across the 2 papers, which isn't too low so I could even aim higher and perhaps get an A! :eek:

I'd rather just focus on my papers now and get a B overall, because that's all I need as part of my offers (not studying Sociology btw)

In terms of your retake, Education is a big large section which will take up quite a bit of independent study time and I don't think there's that much overlap between the A2 and AS, so you'll have to keep up in your own time :s are you confident and don't get that easily muddled up when learning about sociologists and their theories/studies?

When is your college/sixth form deadline to decide on whether or not you want to retake?
Reply 8
Hey!

No I won't, I was 4 UMS (about 1-2 marks?) away from an A but I really feel like I can keep myself on a B if I attain a mid-C overall across the 2 papers, which isn't too low so I could even aim higher and perhaps get an A! :eek:

I'd rather just focus on my papers now and get a B overall, because that's all I need as part of my offers (not studying Sociology btw)

In terms of your retake, Education is a big large section which will take up quite a bit of independent study time and I don't think there's that much overlap between the A2 and AS, so you'll have to keep up in your own time :s are you confident and don't get that easily muddled up when learning about sociologists and their theories/studies?

When is your college/sixth form deadline to decide on whether or not you want to retake?

Thats a good point! Also we only have like 5 months to the exam....argh:frown:

The thing I need an A for the uni I want to go to and if i just rely on the A2's..incase they don't go to plan...i really wouldn't want to regret not retaking Unit 2....but like you said Education is a big unit and there is a lot to take in and learn...as well as all the A2 stuff.

I have until the end of Jan to decide so i have a bit more time but still i need to make a decision quickly so i can crack on with revision. The other subject I am doing is Poltiics....(i am only doing two a-level's as I already have an B grade in Biology).

The only thing is the methods part of education will be pretty much the same as crime...although different topic.
Original post by xxvine
Thats a good point! Also we only have like 5 months to the exam....argh:frown:

The thing I need an A for the uni I want to go to and if i just rely on the A2's..incase they don't go to plan...i really wouldn't want to regret not retaking Unit 2....but like you said Education is a big unit and there is a lot to take in and learn...as well as all the A2 stuff.

I have until the end of Jan to decide so i have a bit more time but still i need to make a decision quickly so i can crack on with revision. The other subject I am doing is Poltiics....(i am only doing two a-level's as I already have an B grade in Biology).

The only thing is the methods part of education will be pretty much the same as crime...although different topic.

I completely understand what you mean. My teachers encouraged us to get the most marks as possible in AS because it'll be harder to get the same grade at A2. Plus, have you seen the resit prices?! It's like £27 per unit for Sociology :s

I'd say since you're doing two subjects you can take on the AS but it's all dependent on you. Your working pace will undoubtedly speed up around February time onwards as your teachers rush to get you all to finish the syllabus, so you'll have a lot on your shoulders. Like I said, it's dependent on you. There are people out there who do 4 A2s an extra AS because they know how to manage their revision.

Yep, I get what you mean about Research methods. Also, you could possible risk mixing up the essay structures with one another, although the 21 markers are very similar to the 15 (I think??) assess marker questions in education.
Reply 10
I completely understand what you mean. My teachers encouraged us to get the most marks as possible in AS because it'll be harder to get the same grade at A2. Plus, have you seen the resit prices?! It's like £27 per unit for Sociology :s

I'd say since you're doing two subjects you can take on the AS but it's all dependent on you. Your working pace will undoubtedly speed up around February time onwards as your teachers rush to get you all to finish the syllabus, so you'll have a lot on your shoulders. Like I said, it's dependent on you. There are people out there who do 4 A2s an extra AS because they know how to manage their revision.

Yep, I get what you mean about Research methods. Also, you could possible risk mixing up the essay structures with one another, although the 21 markers are very similar to the 15 (I think??) assess marker questions in education.

Yeah i might go for it you know...i don't want to have regrets and the do keep your highest mark. I would hate to miss out on the grade i want because of 10 or so marks...and plus like you said..this is the final year of the syllabus so we have no idea what they will throw at us this summer with regards to units 3 & 4!

Like you said....some people do study like 5 level's...i just have to make sure i manage my time well and fit everything in. Can't say I am not scared but i have to do what i have to lol! I am going to start revision from Monday....making notes etc...so that by march all I have to do is past papers....

The education paper is a big unit though..thats what I'm dreading!
Reply 11
HEY GUYS, FOR ANYONE DOING MASS MEDIA FOR UNIT 1, CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR AN ONLINE CHAT!! I know there isn't many of us, since the majority studying Sociology are doing Religion, but it gives us a chance to discuss through each of the topics, key sociologists, and construct plans for essays...together!

Plus...mocks.:colonhash:

Spoiler

>>>>> https://us19.chatzy.com/77086227805702 <<<<<
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rm_27
HEY GUYS, FOR ANYONE DOING MASS MEDIA FOR UNIT 1, CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR AN ONLINE CHAT!! I know there isn't many of us, since the majority studying Sociology are doing Religion, but it gives us a chance to discuss through each of the topics, key sociologists, and construct plans for essays...together!

Plus...mocks.:colonhash:

Spoiler

>>>>> https://us19.chatzy.com/77086227805702 <<<<<

That is such a brilliant idea! Once there are more people we could probably create separate online group chats! :biggrin:
Original post by xxvine
Yeah i might go for it you know...i don't want to have regrets and the do keep your highest mark. I would hate to miss out on the grade i want because of 10 or so marks...and plus like you said..this is the final year of the syllabus so we have no idea what they will throw at us this summer with regards to units 3 & 4!

Like you said....some people do study like 5 level's...i just have to make sure i manage my time well and fit everything in. Can't say I am not scared but i have to do what i have to lol! I am going to start revision from Monday....making notes etc...so that by march all I have to do is past papers....

The education paper is a big unit though..thats what I'm dreading!

Then re-sitting should be your choice, better to be safe than sorry!

I'm sure you'll be able to ace this if you get your head down and work now. Good luck!
Reply 14
That is such a brilliant idea! Once there are more people we could probably create separate online group chats! :biggrin:

Why thank you :u: Yes, hopefully!!
AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A/A*
Topics studying*: Beliefs in Society + Crime and Deviance

Guys how are you structuring 33mark questions? like how many paras etc?
Original post by Uw0tm8_

Intro about perspective
Main points + evaluation
Their methodology e.g. if they value quantitative data (positivists)
Their contribution to other areas e.g. education, family etc. with evaluation (at least 2)
Conclusion

Not sure how many paragraphs since idk whether to split the evaluation into a new one or put it straight after the point argued? :s

What about you??
Hi guys,
Could anyone tell me what the questions were for the SCLY3 paper Mass Media in 2015?
Thanks is advance! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Uw0tm8_

I like to keep an easy structure so what i do

beliefs in society structure ( intro - point, evidence, example then explain what the example is telling ) do this for AO1

crime and deviance- point,
Reply 19
Original post by Uw0tm8_

I like to keep an simple structure, but throw as much knowledge in.

beliefs in society structure:
imagine a question on feminism, how does religion oppress women?

( intro about feminist and their perspective, beliefs, you can be cliché and throw in sociologist you be using to counteract your arguments or support it - point, evidence, example of sociologist what they say then explain.

For AO1 and AO2 if you have great knowledge then 3 strong a01 n a02's however if your a little weak on knowledge then write 4/5 okay paragraphs because you can always gain back points you lost out in your previous paragraphs. pay more attention to the a02's as you get marked higher on them some times I do 3 AO1s and 4 AO2's just throw knowledge in their face! if CONFIDENT enough!

remember the sociological words.
pic and mix religion, quote sociologist you know all tha good stuff :wink:!.

crime and deviance structure: point, example e.g statistics, sample and it's outcomes and explain and link back to question always good. my teacher always says 'sound like you know what your talking about even if your don't'

I hoped this was helpful

Latest