The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know why the grade boundaries are so ridiculously high? You can only lose like 3 marks on each essay before dropping to a B!
I'm an IB student, so a bit of an outsider on here :ninja:

But I saw a few people are doing King Lear and analysis is analysis so how different can our approaches really be?

If anyone is interested in doing revision together/sharing notes etc for King Lear, A Streetcar Named Desire or The Glass Menagerie, please let me know :h:.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I feel like you could easily do Antony and Cleo is 3 weeks (if you read it all with the translation before starting) but The Rivals and WoB takes time. Especially since you need to learn some snippets of the medieval English which is a pain to do haha. Antony and Cleo have quotes you can use for any question (you get two choices in the exam) and you just need to remember a handful of critics - my teachers recommended we only know quotes from Frank Kermode and Lucy Hughes-Hallet.

Yep, Antony and Cleopatra will be a life saver (hence why I performed well in the mock). I definitely need to work on A04 though (context).

I found WoB fairly straight forward to be honest. The bit I'm struggling with is Antony and Cleopatra! We've spent nearly 4 months on Antony and Cleopatra and we're only up to Act 3, Scene 11. The worrying part is that we've done very little A02 analysis, pretty much no A04 and we haven't even started A03. Would definitely appreciate any help at this point, I just want to get on with memorising the important quotes and practicing essays!
does anybody have a link to the 2015 paper? :smile:
Is anyone studying 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'? I swear literally no one does this text!
Has anyone started memorising quotes
I'm doing Volpone and Blake and King Lear

Literally have no idea what to write for the exam (Volpone and Blake) its so open and there are so many things you could discuss.
How's everyone else revising??
AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A/
Section A: King Lear
Section B: The Rivals and Wife of Bath

Any revision guides/ techniques recommended for the comparison essay on T.R or W.O.B?? :colondollar:
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I'm an IB student, so a bit of an outsider on here :ninja:

But I saw a few people are doing King Lear and analysis is analysis so how different can our approaches really be?

If anyone is interested in doing revision together/sharing notes etc for King Lear, A Streetcar Named Desire or The Glass Menagerie, please let me know :h:.

I did A Streetcar Named Desire last year for coursework and loved it!
Hi I'm currently studying King Lear and 'Tis Pity She's a Whore with Paradise Lost.

Please tell me someone else is studying these?!?

I would be very grateful if anyone could get back to me with revision tips, or some quotes?

Thanks!
Original post by Eeshie154
Hi I'm currently studying King Lear and 'Tis Pity She's a Whore with Paradise Lost.

I would be very grateful if anyone could get back to me with revision tips, or some quotes?

Thanks!

I'm studying tis pity and paradise lost book 9! instead of king lear i'm doing the tempest instead
Original post by katerobertsonxx
I'm studying tis pity and paradise lost book 9! instead of king lear i'm doing the tempest instead

Great! is there any way you want to compare notes/quotes or something? :smile:
Original post by dental17
A2 Personal Target Grade: A/
Section A: King Lear
Section B: The Rivals and Wife of Bath

Any revision guides/ techniques recommended for the comparison essay on T.R or W.O.B?? :colondollar:

I was struggling with the comparison essay a LOT until my teacher gave us a sheet just walking us through how to write the essay. In summary, it the plan goes like this:

1.Introduction (set the scenes ad contexts), outline in one or two sentences the general argument and counter argument.

2. Start with the counter-argument (perhaps do 2 points - x2 wife of bath x2 the rivals).. Both points need to be compared, so basically two (or four if you want to split it up that way) paragraphs of comparisons.

3. Structure of both the drama and play that refers back to the question

4. Actual argument - start by saying while xyz is presented in a xyz, it would be difficult to ignore that xyz is also emphasised by both Chaucer and Sheridan. - 2 points consisting of 2 comarisons (same as counter argument)

5. Conclusion summarising the the points that link back to the question
e.g. both authors revel in writing about the absurdities of male behaviour. However, although male violence towards women is seen more often in the Wife of Bath than the Rivals, Chaucer and Sheridan also reveal in their writing that hidden beneath the veneers of humour is the dangerous, darker nature of male behaviour that is cunning and controlling.

Hope this helped :smile:
I was struggling with the comparison essay a LOT until my teacher gave us a sheet just walking us through how to write the essay. In summary, it the plan goes like this:

1.Introduction (set the scenes ad contexts), outline in one or two sentences the general argument and counter argument.

2. Start with the counter-argument (perhaps do 2 points - x2 wife of bath x2 the rivals).. Both points need to be compared, so basically two (or four if you want to split it up that way) paragraphs of comparisons.

3. Structure of both the drama and play that refers back to the question

4. Actual argument - start by saying while xyz is presented in a xyz, it would be difficult to ignore that xyz is also emphasised by both Chaucer and Sheridan. - 2 points consisting of 2 comarisons (same as counter argument)

5. Conclusion summarising the the points that link back to the question
e.g. both authors revel in writing about the absurdities of male behaviour. However, although male violence towards women is seen more often in the Wife of Bath than the Rivals, Chaucer and Sheridan also reveal in their writing that hidden beneath the veneers of humour is the dangerous, darker nature of male behaviour that is cunning and controlling.

Hope this helped :smile:

You are a star!!! Thank you so much! 😊 X
Great! is there any way you want to compare notes/quotes or something? :smile:

I used these to help with my Tis Pity notes and once ive done paradise lost i'll upload them too
/QUOTE]

Hey, I was wondering if you had a list of themes of comparison between the two texts? or anything like that please! :smile:
A2 Personal Target Grade: A*
Section A: The Tempest
Section B: The White Devil and Paradise Lost

anyone have any tips for close analysis of language in the tempest, or any other shakespeare text? I have the worst memory for quotes and wondered if there was any way around it!

also is anyone doing the white devil? like, at all?? :tongue:
Original post by dental17

Hey, I was wondering if you had a list of themes of comparison between the two texts? or anything like that please! :smile:

Hey! I've got a list of themes but there are some that appear in one text but don't appear in the other, if that's okay with you? But I guess those won't be needed for comparison, but perhaps to accentuate a point.
Reply 37

Thanks!

I am studying all 3 of these! :smile:
Hey! I've got a list of themes but there are some that appear in one text but don't appear in the other, if that's okay with you? But I guess those won't be needed for comparison, but perhaps to accentuate a point.

That'll be perfectly fine! Everything helps, thanks :smile:
@dental17 I made this post yesterday and completely forgot to tag you!

Both texts

Deception of identity

Morality of deception

Deception for an individual's benefit/satisfaction

Lies

Innocence

Seduction

Irony

Society - WoB (the church) Rivals (Bath)

Patriarchal society (more so WoB than Rivals)

Social mobility and change

Money

Power in marriage

Women

Changing roles of women

Honour

Romance

Jealousy

Love

Old Vs Young

Wife of Bath only

Rape

Influence of the church

Marriage (perhaps in the Rivals also in terms of Sir Antony wanting to marry Absolute off and Mrs Malaprop saying she wants Lydia to have nothing to do with the ensign but polygamy is a major thing here)

The Rivals only

Obsession with social status/wealth (servants, fashion etc etc)

For critics, we got a whole bunch of different ones and I think they're on the site or something? I'll need to look for them and I'll try and post them once I find them :h:

I hope this helped in some way :yep:.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending