The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A* (unlikely)
Section A: Antony and Cleopatra
Section B: The Rivals/WoB

There's SO much to do, how are we going to learn all these quotes and all this character analysis :-(
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hey! Aw man I'm actually praying we don't get any questions on characters like Enobarbus and Lepidus and basically all the irrelevant people who I hardly have any notes on!

Although I haven't put that much thought into Enobarbus, I guess you could just emphasise the fact that he abandoned Antony when he was at his most vulnerable, both emotionally and in terms of power, simply because he found it 'embarrassing' to be affiliated with someone who doesn't live up to the power they're meant to be acting upon

You could also talk about how he is really dramatic, asking Antony to forgive him for betraying him (again, he found himself in the wrong) in his death scene - basically he wants to die with the impression that he died with honour and morality when really he betrayed and chickened out. You could probably mention how Shakespeare dedicating a whole scene to Enobarbus shows how Enobarbus probably thought his last words were important in order to redeem himself, self-absorbed, significant character for all the wrong reasons

I'm probably making this up (I haven't read my notes since Janurary....haha) but Antony offers his jewellery or possessions to Enobarbus, I THINK??? If so,you could talk about the artificiality of his perceived self-importance, as Antony is the main character and he is not. The people who watched the play were fascinated with the characters who displayed elegance and wealth (that Antony, Cleopatra etc. etc. has) since most of the audience were lower class/peasants, Enobarbus is ignored because he is simply dismissed as being Antony's sidekick?

I'm probably rambling on about nonsense at the moment, sorry I couldn't be of much help in this, but hopefully you get the gist. :h:

No that'st great thanks! I managed to do the questions and through research realised how important Enobarbus is. He acts a foreboding element to the play as he offers quite a cynical view of the other characters whilst implicitly foreshadowing the fates of the other characters. I read something about how he actually might be in love with Cleopatra (mesmerised by her in the barge scene) which would be a psychoanalytical reading. . Although, the chivalric code meant a lot toRomans; we are constantly bombarded with the juxtaposition of scenes betweenAntony and Caesars men. Even though they are seemingly part of the“triumvirate”, it is evident through the paralleling of scenes, Enobarbus’inner struggle of staying honourable and loyal or becoming cynical and “earn aplace I’th story”.

^ a bit from my essay haha
THIS IS GREAT THANKS! Plutarch is always mentioned in the mark schemes so should do me well!
Reply 63
A2 Personal Target Grade: A*
Section A:King Lear
Section B: The Wife of Bath + Tis Pity She's a Whore

Its a godsend this exam isn't until the middle of june
Original post by sjurn
Does anyone have access to the 2015 paper?

I cannot find it anywhere, it's INFURIATING! :')
Original post by Naveed Rahman
No that'st great thanks! I managed to do the questions and through research realised how important Enobarbus is. He acts a foreboding element to the play as he offers quite a cynical view of the other characters whilst implicitly foreshadowing the fates of the other characters. I read something about how he actually might be in love with Cleopatra (mesmerised by her in the barge scene) which would be a psychoanalytical reading. . Although, the chivalric code meant a lot toRomans; we are constantly bombarded with the juxtaposition of scenes betweenAntony and Caesars men. Even though they are seemingly part of the“triumvirate”, it is evident through the paralleling of scenes, Enobarbus’inner struggle of staying honourable and loyal or becoming cynical and “earn aplace I’th story”.

^ a bit from my essay haha

Wait, so are you implying that being cynical is a quality possessed by those who are in Egypt?
Reply 66
Original post by learner248
I cannot find it anywhere, it's INFURIATING! :':wink:

I know, right! Someone's teacher must have given it to the class. That's why I asked here but no luck so far

I'll let you know as soon as I get anything
Wait, so are you implying that being cynical is a quality possessed by those who are in Egypt?

No more the roman male characters like Enobarbus, who offer cynical views of the other characters; he believes the characters all have an agenda, whether is be political, romantic etc
Anyone have any revision notes for Midsummers night dream? Missed a load of the lessons and am struggling with that side of the course!
Original post by AngelicAmazing
A2 Personal Target Grade: A* (unlikely)
Section B: The Rivals/WoB

There's SO much to do, how are we going to learn all these quotes and all this character analysis :-(

Hi there,

Have you got any good A04 comments (historical context) for The WIfe of Bath and The Rivals to share?

Would be much appreciated; thanks in advance!

(OCR) A2 ENGLISH LITERATURE OFFICIAL THREAD

*Details of exam*
F663 - Drama and Prose Pre-1800
Friday 17 June (am)

The aim of this thread is to share revision tips, model answers, resources, and even practice together as we get closer to the exam date.

This thread may be a little early but I'm sure by now (it would be worrying if not) people know whether or not they will carry on English Lit for A2

We are officially the last year to do the old spec (thank god!) so our AS grades still count towards our final A level grade

Fill in the really quick and easy form below if you can!:

AS Grade:
A2 Personal Target Grade:
Section A:
Section B:

I'll do mine:

AS Grade: B
A2 Personal Target Grade: B/A
Section B: The Rivals + The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale

May this 2016 be a successful one for all of us!

Do you have a thread for AS Literature?
What are common themes of Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience?
Original post by flylikeafly
Has anyone started memorising quotes
I'm doing Volpone and Blake and King Lear

Literally have no idea what to write for the exam (Volpone and Blake) its so open and there are so many things you could discuss.
How's everyone else revising??

I'm exactly the same for volpone and blake, i dont have a clue what or how to revise for them?!
I'm exactly the same for volpone and blake, i dont have a clue what or how to revise for them?!

I've started trying to make some notes on themes for Blake and Volpone by doing some using some resources that I found on google.
I'm just hoping something on religion comes up, that's the only one I find okay.
Hows it going for you
Original post by flylikeafly
I've started trying to make some notes on themes for Blake and Volpone by doing some using some resources that I found on google.
I'm just hoping something on religion comes up, that's the only one I find okay.
Hows it going for you

Terribly! We've been taught like two themes and ar elike expected to just adapt them to any question, so it's just making me stress! haha
anybody doing midsummer nights dreamm
Terribly! We've been taught like two themes and ar elike expected to just adapt them to any question, so it's just making me stress! haha

I've almost given up revising on it and just winging the exam with a couple of quotes. It so annoying that its bloody closed book exam.
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Section A: King Lear
Section B: The Wife of Bath and The White Devil

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending