The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

What Chester university like?

Scroll to see replies

I don't see many "chavs" (or people that others would label as chavs) in the city centre during the week. You might find them all spilling out of the pubs on a weekend though.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Eru
Any chavs in Chester?

If this is your issue - avoid Branigans on a weekend. actually just avoid town on the weekend. only scal-free place to be is City bar down city road. Best bar in chester for sure.
Don't go to clubs on the weekend. It's too expensive to get in, the drinks cost a bomb and it's full of old men who try to touch you up.

If I go out on a weekend I just pop to the pub around the corner, The George and Dragon, or I might go to Off The Wall.
There's also the Bouverie. It wasn't really crowded most of last year when me and my friends went.
The Bouverie is a bit pricey though. I know Off The Wall can be at the weekend but at least it opens late which is handy for me and my housemates because we tend to only go out late on at the weekends.

I remember when The Bouverie Arms was an "old man pub". When it closed we thought it was because of bad buisness but then it opened up all posh like.
where the hell is the bouverie?

just another point - city bar is free on weekends.
The Bouverie would be on Bouverie street, near thee uni.
If your worried about money for a night out you should go to Wrexham, not that far away and it has places where every drinks £1 and the clubs are OK too.
Reply 28
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd never advise anyone to go to Wrexham, what a ****ty dive.
Reply 29
Pfft, Wrexham has nice areas o.O Just not all of it xD The nightlife is pretty ***** though.

The nightlife in Chester is okay imo, better than Wrexham, but not as good as Manchester/Liverpool. I go shopping in Chester quite a lot since I live in Wrexham [doing A2s] and the Uni seems a pretty nice place - I have friends that go to it and they seem to like it :smile:
Reply 30
It has areas which aren't rough, but I wouldn't call any of it "nice".
Reply 31
My village is technically part of Wrexham area, but it's in the country surrounded by lots of fields and a river, that is nice imo xD.

Each to their own I guess though
Chester is actually quite a good university, its not big by any means. I think its only got 14,000 odd students! However this is what i wanted, the University offers plenty of things for students to do and its courses are very varied!

The nightlife isnt great if you go to Brannigans, RB's etc. However there is a brand new club called Cruise opening soon! But if you like a nice cocktail, quiet night out or a pub its very good.

Accomodation is similar to most universities, its average.
Main halls are Astbury & Fisher, these are all en-suite and are fully catered.
There is also several other on campus halls, as well as Church College Close, a set of houses within campus.

They have just expanded the Art/Design/Drama to a seperate mini campus, with around 200+ iMacs just installed, the equipment is 10/10!

Its well worth a visit, http://www.chester.ac.uk.

Any other questions, just shout!
Reply 33
hey

am hopefully going to chester in september

where the hell are the supermarkets as am part catering (probs) and when i visited i couldn't see any anywhere

in general i am quite a hungry person (want to do nutrition and dietetics ha!) so this would be quite useful if anyone could let me know, cheers:biggrin:
Tesco is in the City Centre, Morrisons is near the hospital, and there should be a new Tesco opening in the autumn at the Greyhound Park just outside the city.
Yeah, Tesco is 20 min walk at the most :smile: You can always get a taxi from there for £3 if there's a few of you with too much stuff to carry home. I normally make a few, small trips throughout the week though.
Hello this is for anyone who is going to chester university and is searching for student accomodation this year!

1 ATTIC ROOM AVAILABLE
House share with 5 friendly, outgoing people
Has living room, large kitchen, back garden, 2 bathrooms.
Victora road - not too far away from the uni and town centre

£360 per calender month- all bills included plus internet.

No deposit required
Start date- 1st of august

If anyone is interested please send me a message and il give you the landlady's number to contact.

thx :smile:

p.s- If anyone who reads this knows of anyone else looking for accomodation in chester please pass this info on.
I also have 4 spare rooms in my house, sharing with 1 girl and 2 guys, located very close to uni and the town centre.

Please PM me if interested.
I'm looking at Chester university for forensic psycobiology. Is the university itself any good?
Second year student here. Chester has been nothing short of outstanding while i've been here, my lecturers are all experts in their fields and allow you to get involved in their research. The libraries are great and the staff are extremely helpful in helping you find materials.

The main campus isn't huge, but it has everything you'll need including a book shop, restaurant, bar, and the Students Union building. There's a Starbucks in the Binks building too. The uni is getting a lot ofm oney thrown at it lately and it shows in how the university is expanding. They've just bought a beautiful building by the waterfront to house the business school, which they've named Churchill House. They've just built a huge food research lab and taken control of the science park in Thornton for science and engineering students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending