The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
outta interest, is there a lot of people in Astons I-SOC society
Original post by Blondie987
That does sound strange, it's entirely up to you what you do with your life but if you do want to be friends with them anyway then just try to ignore their suggestions, otherwise leave the society and make other friends? I'm sure there are plenty of Muslim students at the University with the same views as you :smile:

Actually the vast majority have similar views to me. Like I said most Muslims I've met don't attend that society. For example on my course, there's one other guy out of like 50+ Muslims. Most other people seem so normal and tolerant and just get on with their own lives.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I was told the I-SOC at the University of Birmingham were quite 'un-extreme' or do you attend Birmingham City University?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Renouncing your faith would work, but it's not for everyone.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
That's exactly what I think of them! Most of them are so boring. They live at home so they just go into uni, go to lectures and stay in the prayer room, then go home. There's no fun things to do with them. Everything fun is prohibited for them.

Ask them what they do for fun to pass the time
Actually the vast majority have similar views to me. Like I said most Muslims I've met don't attend that society. For example on my course, there's one other guy out of like 50+ Muslims. Most other people seem so normal and tolerant and just get on with their own lives.

Well in that case, I think I would leave the society? Obviously if it's something you enjoy then there's no harm in attending and just ignoring their suggestions but if you are going to meet other Muslims then it might not be worth it, entirely up to you but I hope you come to a decision you're happy with :h:
I attend the Uni of Birmingham ISOC events and they're very chilled out.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was told the I-SOC at the University of Birmingham were quite 'un-extreme' or do you attend Birmingham City University?

Original post by Gears265
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Original post by deehaychtee
I'm attend the Uni of Birmingham ISOC events and they're very chilled out.

^^^^^^^
Perspective:
Religion is a way of life as we are told, that is not extreme.

You are finding it extreme that they are advising someone who was seemingly interesed in religion by signing up for the associated society according to the very principles of that society? I find that 'weird' to say the least.

I am by no means judging you, merely picking out a flaw in the logic of the first post.

If you don't want any advice or part of the society, leave any WhatsApp, Facebook etc groups and tell them you don't want to be a part of the society, but do not try to tar them with the same brush and label them 'extreme'.

Remember free mixing is not allowed, alcohol is not allowed etc. This is not them being 'extreme' as you put it, its called having integrity and not a hypocrite to what they claim to believe.

Simply saying do not hang out with non-Muslims sounds bad, but in the context it seems they are simply trying to help you avoid any potential situations which would lead to you doing things contrary to the religion. You can make the ultimate decision of your company, but it is not 'extreme'. It is similar to any advice you get from your parents to not hang out with criminals, why? Because it may lead you to potential situations which would be contary to the law, for which you could lead yourself to trouble and be repramanded.

PS. Coming on TSR with this stuff is not a good idea. TSR already suffers from people who cherry pick quotes and generalise all Muslims and this sort of stuff only adds to their views which are merely a figment of their imagination.

I have outlined the facts, given you some advice for your situation and only asked of you to present the facts objectively. I hope I have not offended you and I hope your studies and views of your fellow Muslims is not damaged by any of this.

I have no doubt that an atheist will take my post out of context so my advice to anyone thinking of doing so, save yourself a few minutes and enjoy your life, for as you put it - you only live once, right?

All the best OP.
Bar the 'don't be friends with them' advice, they're not really extreme. They're just following Islam. Perhaps you should ask them to give proof for some of their 'advice', I'm sure they won't disappoint.

It's the same thing with Christianity. There are plenty of Christians out there just like this. Compared to the way OP was raised, this is extreme.
^^^^^^^

You used an attendee to clarify if they are extreme or not? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Let's ask a man united player if man united are the best team in the EPL, because that makes sense.
whats wrong with that? they are giving you advice as you're their muslim brother/sister.
its a good deed in islam to direct the people within our ummah onto the right path. and going to pubs is not allowed anyway so what are you doing in pub quizzes? and neither is celebrating christmas allowed in islam its shirk so what are you doing celebrating that? they are absolutely right in their place however pestering you is not and once they have told you nicely they should leave you to it.
and by the way joining the muslim community doesn't make them all strict - in other words welcome to your religion. they're trying to be good muslims their one goal is jannah and they are tryna help you see that. i mean how can you even put stuff like that up... its our religion your saying that these practicing muslims are to much for you? wallahi do you pray your 5 daily salah or does that not come in the " i follow the basic principles" package?
That's exactly what I think of them! Most of them are so boring. They live at home so they just go into uni, go to lectures and stay in the prayer room, then go home. There's no fun things to do with them. Everything fun is prohibited for them.

If you find religious Muslims boring just don't be friends with them. Nothing you said sounds "weird" or extreme about them, they're simply following Islam properly.
Perspective:
Religion is a way of life as we are told, that is not extreme.

You are finding it extreme that they are advising someone who was seemingly interesed in religion by signing up for the associated society according to the very principles of that society? I find that 'weird' to say the least.

I am by no means judging you, merely picking out a flaw in the logic of the first post.

If you don't want any advice or part of the society, leave any WhatsApp, Facebook etc groups and tell them you don't want to be a part of the society, but do not try to tar them with the same brush and label them 'extreme'.

Remember free mixing is not allowed, alcohol is not allowed etc. This is not them being 'extreme' as you put it, its called having integrity and not a hypocrite to what they claim to believe.

Simply saying do not hang out with non-Muslims sounds bad, but in the context it seems they are simply trying to help you avoid any potential situations which would lead to you doing things contrary to the religion. You can make the ultimate decision of your company, but it is not 'extreme'. It is similar to any advice you get from your parents to not hang out with criminals, why? Because it may lead you to potential situations which would be contary to the law, for which you could lead yourself to trouble and be repramanded.

PS. Coming on TSR with this stuff is not a good idea. TSR already suffers from people who cherry pick quotes and generalise all Muslims and this sort of stuff only adds to their views which are merely a figment of their imagination.

I have outlined the facts, given you some advice for your situation and only asked of you to present the facts objectively. I hope I have not offended you and I hope your studies and views of your fellow Muslims is not damaged by any of this.

I have no doubt that an atheist will take my post out of context so my advice to anyone thinking of doing so, save yourself a few minutes and enjoy your life, for as you put it - you only live once, right?

All the best OP.

may allah grant us all the calmness you have.the way you said what you did from a muslim perspective was spot on.
Hi there
I go to uni of Birmingham too and I didn't feel comfortable in the islamic society. They are a little too extreme and I get a weird vibe of the girls there. But don't get me wrong I know some of them personally and they're lovely. But together as a group, I don't feel comfortable with them. I guess it's because i feel excluded and maybe it's the way they look at me or something idk

My friend who joined the Islamic society also felt the same

Seriously if you feel like they're pushing you to be something you're not, then don't hang around with them. Distant yourself and join other societies.
I left the group myself and still get messages to go to events etc lol I don't go and they seem okay about it- I don't talk to them much either
Original post by HAnwar
They sound so extreme (!) You should leave them at once :rolleyes:

Because it's normal to say who someone should and shouldn't be friends with when the people they're saying not to mix with aren't doing anything bad...
Original post by AthiaKarim
Hi there
I go to uni of Birmingham too and I didn't feel comfortable in the islamic society. They are a little too extreme and I get a weird vibe of the girls there. But don't get me wrong I know some of them personally and they're lovely. But together as a group, I don't feel comfortable with them. I guess it's because i feel excluded and maybe it's the way they look at me or something idk

My friend who joined the Islamic society also felt the same

Seriously if you feel like they're pushing you to be something you're not, then don't hang around with them. Distant yourself and join other societies.
I left the group myself and still get messages to go to events etc lol I don't go and they seem okay about it- I don't talk to them much either

thats some amazing advice coming from a sister of islam. what exactly is every one going about "they are to extreme". its not extreme its islam the proper islam not the one you lot are aware of.
oh wait is it to extreme that they tell you to do wudhu and pray namaz at uni but u cant cuz all ur make up will come of and you'll mess your hair up?
how can you say that about your own people within your ummah?
wallah, its allah that shows us the right path and for which he has given us free will, this life is nothing but merely a test.

do remember that.
Reply 37
Original post by HAnwar
They sound so extreme (!) You should leave them at once :rolleyes:

That's a bold statement to make.
thats some amazing advice coming from a sister of islam. what exactly is every one going about "they are to extreme". its not extreme its islam the proper islam not the one you lot are aware of.
oh wait is it to extreme that they tell you to do wudhu and pray namaz at uni but u cant cuz all ur make up will come of and you'll mess your hair up?
how can you say that about your own people within your ummah?
wallah, its allah that shows us the right path and for which he has given us free will, this life is nothing but merely a test.

do remember that.

Lmao extreme socially really. And I think the Islamic society itself isn't very Islamic at times. I think they pick and choose when they want to be islamic. For example; they have separate meetings for boys which is fine because that's the Islamic teaching. But then I remember at one time they had a mixed event. So that's slightly confusing. Also they wear make up and don't dress as Islam says we should (not that I'm saying they're wrong for this, I'm not to judge, but if you're going to call yourself 'Islamic society' at least live up to the title. But then again they are credited for their efforts and I understand in this day in age it's difficult to fully abide to Islamic rules) My opinion of them is extreme at times and they're also too confined, and not welcoming. You can't defend a group that you know little about (unless you're part of this particular group at my university)

I am not criticising the religion, I'm criticising the university group...
Reply 39
I wasn't expecting it to turn out like this. I thought it would be a good experience.
And yes I've noticed that 99% of Muslims in uni don't go to their events regularly and don't use the prayer room unless it's Friday prayers.
I regret joining it and wish I could turn back time to un-meet all these people. I know I can still pray and do all the other Islamic obligations without being in the society.

Being the balancing voice from the other side i.e. not telling you want to hear, I will explain their actions:

As a Muslim, we believe in Allah. Allah gave us Islam; do we follow Islam or society mainly? A Muslim ought to say Islam since Allah is the one who created us, and He knows better than us. With this in mind, those who practice the religion and actually care about the afterlife put more stress on following Islam; those who don't care that they will be deserving punishment in the Akhirah tend to follow their desires more and also follow what the non-practising people around them are doing. The people who give you advice are people who care about your worldly life and your afterlife; the people (non-Muslims/non-practising Muslims) here telling you to do what you want and to ignore these people are people who only half-care about your worldly life.
Those who actually are serious about wanting the best for themselves would listen to the former over the latter; unfortunately if one lacks the wisdom and knowledge behind the importance of good company, then you end up in this situation where people on the right are calling you towards good and people on the left are calling you towards bad, and you go to the people of the left to advise you as to how to stay away from people calling you to goodness.

You might look over this but I would seriously reflect and reassess yourself and your relationship with this world and the One who created you...
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending