The Student Room Group

Glasgow vs Surrey

Hey, for now, I got offers from Glasgow University and University of Surrey for Mathematics and Statistics. Surrey's offer includes a sandwhich year in a placement while Galsgow's course includes a Masters.

Glasgow would be a lot cheaper as I am a Spanish student, although to be honest, it is not the biggest of my worries.I wanted to know what you guys think of these unis as well as the cities (Glasgow vs Guildford/London) and which one you would pick as your firm and why.

I feel like I am going to prefer Glasgow's student life and nightlife over Guildford. Surrey, however, is higher in rankings and the campus looks incredible.

(I am currently waiting for St Andrews, Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt to respond, but lets imagine they reject me.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Glasgow is a safe bet. I grew up there and have friends who study there. Nightlife is good and it is a friendly enough city, there are "bad neighbourhoods" possibly more of them than Surrey but like any big city you get used to them and know what pubs to potentially not end up in at 3AM closing time :biggrin:. As for the campus, I dont know about all the buildings but Glasgow is an oooold uni with a lot of historic buildings which (in my opinion) look fantastic. If you have an offer I would definetly take it, especially considering the £9000 less costs every year.

I'm hoping to move back to Glasgow to continue my studies possibly next year but most likely 2017 (Gotta take a break after my 1st year to make some more money).

EDIT: Im not sure about Surrey as I have honestly never been but living and commuting costs tend to be cheaper in Northern England and Scotland than they are in the South East of England.
(edited 8 years ago)
hi, i am currently studying in the university of Glasgow. I am friends with people who study Mathematics and Statistics. There are lots of international students in that course, so I am sure you will meet many like-minded people. Although it is a bonus to have a one year placement, but Glasgow has good industrial connection and they have career services that help students to find term-time or summer internships. So its also possible to get some working experience in Glasgow. By the way, Glasgow now has a free app for prospective students, you can search 'hellouofg' in app stores. You may be able to find someone who is in the program already and ask more specific questions to them Good luck!
Hi!

First of all, congratulations on your offer! I can definitely recommend Glasgow when it comes to student life and nightlife. I think in Glasgow there is something for everyone, even though it's not a huge city. Also, most parts of the campus are really pretty. The overall international and national reputation of Glasgow Uni is excellent. I am an EU student myself, and very happy that I chose Glasgow. Glasgow is a very friendly, welcoming and international city so I've never felt like an 'outsider'. Let me know if you have any more questions and I would be happy to answer them!

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
Original post by Rcnl
Hey, for now, I got offers from Glasgow University and University of Surrey for Mathematics and Statistics. Surrey's offer includes a sandwhich year in a placement while Galsgow's course includes a Masters.

Glasgow would be a lot cheaper as I am a Spanish student, although to be honest, it is not the biggest of my worries.I wanted to know what you guys think of these unis as well as the cities (Glasgow vs Guildford/London) and which one you would pick as your firm and why.

I feel like I am going to prefer Glasgow's student life and nightlife over Guildford. Surrey, however, is higher in rankings and the campus looks incredible.

(I am currently waiting for St Andrews, Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt to respond, but lets imagine they reject me.)

Thanks in advance!

This is all I know really Surrey has great campus but is not any where near a city centre like Glasgow and you'll need a train to get in to London however the weather (do not use this as your basis for choosing) is better in Surrey personally I would take the Surrey course because work experience is very important in the current economic climate and the sandwich year would give you some
I may be biased (as a Glasgow Uni student) but i would definitely choose Glasgow over Surrey.

Glasgow Uni is located in the gorgeous west end and has an equally beautiful campus to surrey. the people of glasgow are also very friendly and accommodating which will allow you to fit in really easily. I cannot speak for the course itself, but Glasgow is part of the Russell Group meaning its research and teaching are of a very high standard.

glasgow is a very diverse town and there are lots of things to do in your spare time. We have an amazing night life and the shopping is great.

Quick Reply

Latest