The Student Room Group

Becoming a lawyer with a management degree?

I'm halfway through my management degree at Uni Of Leeds, but want to end up going into law.

I'm unsure on routes into doing this? Would I need to do a postgrad in Law?
No, you apply to law firms in your final year and then you do a 1 year GDL (a fast track law degree at the Uni of Law/BPP). From there, the route is normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might be able to do a law conversion course.
Original post by fire_and_ice
You might be able to do a law conversion course.

Might be able to? Might?
Original post by callum_law
Might be able to? Might?

Well I don't exactly know since I've applied for the LLB and haven't considered any other route to become a lawyer...
Original post by fire_and_ice
Well I don't exactly know since I've applied for the LLB and haven't considered any other route to become a lawyer...

You know enough to know what a conversion course is.
From a fellow University of Leeds student (and now alumni), yes - you apply for training contracts in your final year and can do the conversion course - GDL and then go on to do your LPC to become a solicitor (but it is very expensive!)
Reply 7
Leeds Uni is a good uni and is part of the Russell Group which will help you. As others have said you will apply for training contracts in your final year and then do the GDL/LPC. If you secure a training contract before you graduate, most of the city firms will pay for your GDL and LPC. However, I must echo that having legal work experience is important but not always vital. You may want to try and see if you can apply for some vacation schemes with law firms before you graduate, but they are very competitive to get a place on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending