The Student Room Group

Is it safe to drink RAW milk?

I really care about animals and so don't want to support factory-like animal farms but I've been told that there's this farm near where I live - they sell raw milk, and the cows there have really good lives apparently - never separated from their babies, only fed good stuff, grass etc. lots of freedom. My recent blood tests turned out kinda bad and I was advised that I really need calcium.. Do you think it would be safe to drink such milk?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ciel.
I really care about animals and so don't want to support factory-like animal farms but I've been told that there's this farm near where I live - they sell raw milk, and the cows there have really good lives apparently - never separated from their babies, only fed good stuff, grass etc. lots of freedom. My recent blood tests turned out kinda bad and I was advised that I really need calcium.. Do you think it would be safe to drink such milk?

As long as you are not lactose intolerant, I think any milk would be good. Also; try cheese (mouldy milk) and yoghurt (slightly less mouldy milk).
I drank unpasteurised milk , that the same thing?
You can get calcium in other ways. If you don't drink dairy for ethical reasons, look at other ways of getting calcium that isn't in dairy.
Reply 4
Original post by Kyx
As long as you are not lactose intolerant, I think any milk would be good. Also; try cheese (mouldy milk) and yoghurt (slightly less mouldy milk).

Thanks for response.

Original post by TSR Mustafa
I drank unpasteurised milk , that the same thing?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

Original post by bethwalker85
You can get calcium in other ways. If you don't drink dairy for ethical reasons, look at other ways of getting calcium that isn't in dairy.

The problem is, I do eat some green leafy vegs (rich in calcium) but apparently not enough. I'm a very picky eater and really can't stand things like soya beans, or tofu. I don't eat fish. So don't really see many options left : (
Soya milk? Almond? Rice?
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
Thanks for response.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

The problem is, I do eat some green leafy vegs (rich in calcium) but apparently not enough. I'm a very picky eater and really can't stand things like soya beans, or tofu. I don't eat fish. So don't really see many options left : (

I was just about to suggest fish too!

Maybe it's a vitamin D deficiency; if it is then getting out in the sun for 10 minutes a day should do the trick. (Or eat fish).

Vitamin D is involved in absorbing calcium into your body (according to the adverts), and also makes happy chemicals in your skin. Not only should this increase your calcium levels (however slightly), it should also make you happier (however slightly).
no it's not safe, there's a reason it's illegal in many countries
Reply 8
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Soya milk? Almond? Rice?

Do you know if they contain as much calcium as cow milk does? The problem with me is that I only tolerate small portions of food/drinks and generally don't eat much so if I had do drink like a lot of it daily, I probably wouldn't stick to it.

Original post by Kyx
I was just about to suggest fish too!

Maybe it's a vitamin D deficiency; if it is then getting out in the sun for 10 minutes a day should do the trick. (Or eat fish).

Vitamin D is involved in absorbing calcium into your body (according to the adverts), and also makes happy chemicals in your skin. Not only should this increase your calcium levels (however slightly), it should also make you happier (however slightly).

I walk my dog every day so not sure if it's vitamin D deficiency.
Reply 9
Original post by Tabstercat
no it's not safe, there's a reason it's illegal in many countries

Why not? Can you die from it?
Reply 10
Original post by Ciel.
Do you know if they contain as much calcium as cow milk does? The problem with me is that I only tolerate small portions of food/drinks and generally don't eat much so if I had do drink like a lot of it daily, I probably wouldn't stick to it.

I walk my dog every day so not sure if it's vitamin D deficiency.

Does the D in vitamin D stand for Dog?

IDK, I'm just askin'. :lol:
Milk is life
Reply 12
Original post by Kyx
Does the D in vitamin D stand for Dog?

IDK, I'm just askin'. :lol:

Dog walking = walking outside and bathing in the 'sunshine' :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Ciel.
Dog walking = walking outside and bathing in the 'sunshine' :biggrin:

Just lie on a sunbed and let your dog walk on a treadmill; done!

You can even watch youtube or whatever while doin' it!
Reply 14
Original post by Kyx
Just lie on a sunbed and let your dog walk on a treadmill; done!

You can even watch youtube or whatever while doin' it!

Yeah, why bother, no need to go outside, we have technology. :h:
Reply 15
@Ciel. Drinking raw milk is perfectly fine: if it has been pasteurised then it has been temporarily heated up to 80 degrees Celsius (358 K) which kills all the bacteria in there. It is perfectly fine.
Reply 16
Original post by Kyx
@Ciel. Drinking raw milk is perfectly fine: if it has been pasteurised then it has been temporarily heated up to 80 degrees Celsius (358 K) which kills all the bacteria in there. It is perfectly fine.

Raw milk isn't pasteurised or homogenized, that's pretty much the whole point, that's why it's meant to be more nutritious.
Original post by Ciel.
Why not? Can you die from it?

yes, not saying it's very likely but it's much more dangerous as it has not been pasteurised
Reply 18
Original post by Ciel.
Raw milk isn't pasteurised or homogenized, that's pretty much the whole point, that's why it's meant to be more nutritious.

ok, it may be a little but there are more dangerous things you could eat; like bananas.

No, seriously; Bananas are radioactive!
Reply 19
Raw milk? I didn't realise you cooked milk? Or are you referring to that unpasteurised stuff? That tastes awful

Quick Reply

Latest