The Student Room Group

Which law course should I firm?

Haven't heard back from all 5 but I'm reasonably confident (although willing to accept I might not get 5 offers)

If I was to get 5 hours, which should I firm?

(in order of entry requirements)
Nottingham
York
Birmingham
Leicester
UEA
Reply 1
Nottingham
Nottingham (firm)

Either Birmingham, Leicester or York (Insurance) - tbh they have similar entry requirements. Or maybe UEA if you don't want to take a risk, but I'm sure you will get in. 😊
Original post by AK201296
Haven't heard back from all 5 but I'm reasonably confident (although willing to accept I might not get 5 offers)

If I was to get 5 hours, which should I firm?

(in order of entry requirements)
Nottingham
York
Birmingham
Leicester
UEA

I agree with the others. You should firm Nottingham and perhaps put York or Birmingham as insurance.
Reply 4
I'd firm the one you liked the most out of Nottingham, York and Birmingham. Consider everything, the cities, the societies/sports clubs, the facilities, the areas you'll be living in, and the way the courses are taught (i.e York is drastically different from any of your other choices). Don't just pick the one you think will look better on paper at the end of your time at uni, because those 3 years will feel very different if you pick somewhere that perhaps doesn't suit you best and the difference between them is negligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham as firm and either Birmingham or York for insurance, although i would probably err with Birmingham due to it's beautiful law school, campus and historic status as a well respected law school
Reply 6
Nottingham is consistently ranked highly for Law and is A*AA to get on to the course. in terms of an insurance I would put either York or Leicester. York is a RG uni which counts for something, and despite their Law school not being decades old (its only a few years old), it seems to have built a good reputation with the City law firms including Magic Circle. Saying that, despite not being in the RG, Leicester is a good redbrick uni for law and is one of the best non-RG unis for law and is visited by the Magic Circle and city firms. Definitely Nottingham firm and then decided between York and Leicester for insurance.
Reply 7
Birmingham is also a RG and well regarded for sure, not so sure about the city though (IMO)
Reply 8
Cheers lads, I've got offers from UEA, Leicester, and Nottingham. I was rejected from Bham and I'm still waiting to hear back from York. I think I'm going to go for Notts as firm then Leicester as insurance.
Reply 9
Original post by AK201296
Cheers lads, I've got offers from UEA, Leicester, and Nottingham. I was rejected from Bham and I'm still waiting to hear back from York. I think I'm going to go for Notts as firm then Leicester as insurance.

Good plan, especially as Leicester is AAB for Law so you have some leeway between that and Nottingham (A*AA). I will be studying Law at Manchester Uni as of September
Heard Nottingham is meant to be really good
Birmingham...but that's me being bias haha

Tbf I'd go with Nottingham or Birmingham
Reply 12
Original post by ORW
Good plan, especially as Leicester is AAB for Law so you have some leeway between that and Nottingham (A*AA). I will be studying Law at Manchester Uni as of September

Best of luck at Manchester, hope all goes well. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending