The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placement 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! I've almost finished my application, but I go to a private school. so is there any point for me to apply? SInce I still have to source my own placement...
Reply 21
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask about the application. I go to an independent school, however I do not have the opportunities as other students at my school to have contacts, since I am there on a bursary. So will I still have to find my own placement: I have no idea where to even start looking in the east Anglia area. (Near Milton Keynes)

But what I really wanted to ask, my predicted grades are not so great, B in biology and history and D in chemistry and maths. Will i even be selected: should I even bother??

Does anyone know what the deadline is too since I can't seem to find that??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
That actually sounds like such an amazing opportunity, except for the distance. It's all the way on the other side: I'm more in the Milton Keynes area 😞

I'm guessing I should first look for universities and research parks first? Could I ask a question: would you reccomend calling or emailing the relevant department/people?
Reply 23
Original post by __ny01
That actually sounds like such an amazing opportunity, except for the distance. It's all the way on the other side: I'm more in the Milton Keynes area 😞I'm guessing I should first look for universities and research parks first? Could I ask a question: would you reccomend calling or emailing the relevant department/people?

I'm having to look for my own placement too and I'm in the same Milton Keynes/ Bedfordshire area. In sharnbrook there's the Unilever science park and I feel like in Hertfordshire there's quite a few science parks as well, which aren't too far away

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I have recieved the email YAY!!!!

"Dear Student,
I am pleased to inform you that your application for a place on the Nuffield Research Placement Scheme for 2016 has been successful.
I will now begin the process of searching for a project for you.

Projects are not easy to find so you are expected to be flexible and open to any suitable project.
Remember this scheme is about learning about the research process and not learning more about your favourite subject.
Whichever project you are allocated will be valuable and you are expected to commit 100% to that project.

I would advise that you check your emails on a daily basis from now on. In some cases I will offer a placement to several students and if you do not respond then you may well miss out on that project.

It is not uncommon for a mentor to interview several students for one placement so please be prepared. You may have to attend several interviews before you are allocated a project.

Please bear in mind that it is usual for several students still waiting to hear about their placement in July.

Soon you will be invited to an Induction Event, date and venue to be confirmed, where you will be given more information about what to expect from the scheme and you will be able to ask questions. Attendance is mandatory.

It just remains for me to say Well Done! The scheme as always was very popular and the standard of applications extremely high.Best wishes."

I can't wait until they find me a placement!
Original post by Pentaquark

"Dear Student,
I am pleased to inform you that your application for a place on the Nuffield Research Placement Scheme for 2016 has been successful.

Projects are not easy to find so you are expected to be flexible and open to any suitable project.
Remember this scheme is about learning about the research process and not learning more about your favourite subject.
Whichever project you are allocated will be valuable and you are expected to commit 100% to that project.

I would advise that you check your emails on a daily basis from now on. In some cases I will offer a placement to several students and if you do not respond then you may well miss out on that project.

It is not uncommon for a mentor to interview several students for one placement so please be prepared. You may have to attend several interviews before you are allocated a project.

Please bear in mind that it is usual for several students still waiting to hear about their placement in July.

Soon you will be invited to an Induction Event, date and venue to be confirmed, where you will be given more information about what to expect from the scheme and you will be able to ask questions. Attendance is mandatory.

It just remains for me to say Well Done! The scheme as always was very popular and the standard of applications extremely high.Best wishes."

Well done!! I still haven't heard back :/
Out of interest, what subject did you apply for?
Original post by Mystery.
Well done!! I still haven't heard back :/
Out of interest, what subject did you apply for?

Ah thank you! :smile:
1st choice:Physics
Other subjects: Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering/manufacturing, Material science

"Dear Student,

Wow, well done!!! If you don't mind me asking, which region did you apply in? :smile:
Original post by matt_smith764
Wow, well done!!! If you don't mind me asking, which region did you apply in? :smile:

Thank you! North West :tongue:
Reply 29
I had my interview today at Coventry uni. They didn't really ask much, only there for a few minutes... where I live is a bit awkward for looking for placements (not that close to many unis or anything to do with what I want) so... hopefully I'll hear back soon if I'll get a placement

Good job Pentaquark :smile:
Original post by kingowl
I had my interview today at Coventry uni. They didn't really ask much, only there for a few minutes... where I live is a bit awkward for looking for placements (not that close to many unis or anything to do with what I want) so... hopefully I'll hear back soon if I'll get a placement

Good job Pentaquark :smile:

Hope it went well!! Did you apply in the West Midlands region? :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by matt_smith764
Hope it went well!! Did you apply in the West Midlands region? :tongue:

Thanks! And yep
Thank you! North West :tongue:

Did you apply for manchester or merseyside?
Reply 33
Got a conditional offer! Need to write a CV and Covering Letter though, any tips?
Original post by kingowl
Got a conditional offer! Need to write a CV and Covering Letter though, any tips?

Congrats! What for and what region? I'm sure it doesn't have to be too in-depth, just keep talking about why you would be good at the placement and how passionate you are. As for the CV, keep it academic (or just sciencey) - sorry I'm not much help, hopefully someone else who has done a similar thing can give you some advice :smile:
Original post by kingowl

For writing a cover letter, I strongly recommend you watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrK_nWJYeVU
The guy in the video went to Oxford and he includes a template of his cover letter to Google.

For writing a CV, clearly state all grades achieved and experience such as NCS, volunteering, any lectures etc.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just realized the same guy made a "How to write a CV" video:smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmatYHQ3Po
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by h8skoooooool
Congrats! What for and what region? I'm sure it doesn't have to be too in-depth, just keep talking about why you would be good at the placement and how passionate you are. As for the CV, keep it academic (or just sciencey) - sorry I'm not much help, hopefully someone else who has done a similar thing can give you some advice :smile:

Thanks! For astrophysics (didn't actually say in the email I got but I assumed it was my top choice? Hopefully something physics related at least) and in West Midlands
Okay, thanks :smile:
I'm not really that close to anywhere but there's one place that'd be good, hopefully I can get there

edit : thanks Yesi, I'll check it out!
Anyone gotten offers for London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themathgeek
Anyone gotten offers for London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not yet. But I expect them to give out replies after the easter holidays, or even after may at the latest. I'm applying for chemistry as my first choice btw. What subject did you apply for?
Original post by kingowl
Thanks! For astrophysics (didn't actually say in the email I got but I assumed it was my top choice? Hopefully something physics related at least) and in West Midlands
Okay, thanks :smile:
I'm not really that close to anywhere but there's one place that'd be good, hopefully I can get there

edit : thanks Yesi, I'll check it out!

Ooh nice, I'm applying for physics with astrophysics as second choice - really hope that I'm successful, I keep checking my emails like 20 times a day :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest