The Student Room Group

Feminism Challange-Guys: Why are you not feminists?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller
Do not reference feminists because it's irrelevant.
Let's say for the sake of this thread that the doctrine of feminism is about establishing equal social, economic, cultural and personal rights for both men and women.

This means men and women should be paid for the same job for example.

Why exactly are you against this concept? I challenge you to respond without using "feminists" in your argument because ideologies can get warped by people as we've seen throughout humankind.

I'm playing devil's advocate, I wouldn't identify as a feminist but I want to see the reasons guys in particular give for not identifying as one.

Well it's not irrelevant though, that's the point. By the standard definition of a feminist I am one, but you'll not see me in this lifetime ever calling myself one precisely because the banner of feminism comprises mainly of a misandric ideology containing many untrue theories (see patriarchy rape culture etc.) about the nature of this society.

I am in a strict sense a feminist, but I'm not a feminist because of that. Fix it and then maybe we can talk.
Original post by Theawesomejem
The amount of women who lose their jobs because they're pregnant or are discriminated agaisnt in the work place I don't get why people can disagree with womens rights? Feminism like all ideologies has it's problems but at it's core it's a good idea, equality is a good idea.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What about the fact that alot of men do not get paternity leave. And if they do its far inferior to materniry leave?
Reply 62
No one is opposed to feminism because they want equality between men and women, people are opposed to feminism because they are pushing for female superiority or just completely ignoring male issues altogether.

Your question is bull**** because a tiny amount of people actually think men and woman shouldn't have equal opportunities in life in the western world.
Original post by TheNote
No one is opposed to feminism because they want equality between men and women, people are opposed to feminism because they are pushing for female superiority or just completely ignoring male issues altogether.

Your question is bull**** because a tiny amount of people actually think men and woman shouldn't have equal opportunities in life in the western world.

I'm sorry my question is not bull thanks. It's a genuine question no need to be rude. Actually it's not a tiny amount of people watch reggie yates extreme uk men at war, it's interesting and shows that many men actually feel women shouldn't have equal opportunities.
Original post by TheNote

Also not all feminists ignore "male issues" or are pushing for female superiority stop generalising. The ones you know of may do, feminism is not about female superiority that is a completely different movement female supremacy funnily enough and not feminists. Feminists are not sexist if a feminist believes women are better than men they are not truly a feminist. Jeez.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology
What about the fact that alot of men do not get paternity leave. And if they do its far inferior to materniry leave?

True that's 100% right I know men only get 1 at most 2 weeks paternity compared to women's 52 weeks. No it's not fair and wrong I feel men should be aloud just as much time to bond with their child, it's theirs as much as the mothers. Feminists believe women should be equal to men and vice versa to my knowledge.
Reply 66
I'm sorry my question is not bull thanks. It's a genuine question no need to be rude. Actually it's not a tiny amount of people watch reggie yates extreme uk men at war, it's interesting and shows that many men actually feel women shouldn't have equal opportunities.

It is Bull actually since your question doesn't describe modern day feminism and instead describes egalitarianism, which modern feminism certainly isn't.

I watched his show, it was full of audio jump cuts and misrepresentations.

You question misrepresents what people actually dislike about feminism, which is the extreme cultural Marxism which it now represents, excluding those people who are perhaps part of the PUA or right wing religions most people want women to have equal opportunities and be equal to men under the law.
Original post by TheNote
It is Bull actually since your question doesn't describe modern day feminism and instead describes egalitarianism, which modern feminism certainly isn't.

I watched his show, it was full of audio jump cuts and misrepresentations.

You question misrepresents what people actually dislike about feminism, which is the extreme cultural Marxism which it now represents, excluding those people who are perhaps part of the PUA or right wing religions most people want women to have equal opportunities and be equal to men under the law.

Why are you being rude if you disagree fine but saying oh that's "bull" is intolerant so stop. Equalitarianism or egalitarianism is exactly what feminism is I am not confused between the two. Instead of calling me ignorant do some research. Yes feminism has changed evolved but the core principles are exacty the same as equalitarianism.
it does not matter what feminism "now" represents ideas adapt evolve change but I stand by women should be equal to men and vice versa which is what feminism is and so is equalitarianism-this is feminism for people who don't what to be associated with people who give feminism a bad name in my opinion i see no difference between the core principles of the ideologies.
Reply 69
Why are you being rude if you disagree fine but saying oh that's "bull" is intolerant so stop. Equalitarianism or egalitarianism is exactly what feminism is I am not confused between the two. Instead of calling me ignorant do some research. Yes feminism has changed evolved but the core principles are exacty the same as equalitarianism.

I don't care if your offended.

Stop avoiding the issue that your question fails to address the actual problems people have with modern day feminism, shout "we believe in equality" all you want, but feminist actions tell a different story. your quesiton is basically saying "give me a reason to oppose *ideology*, but you can't bring up the problems with *ideology*" the fact that feminism is an ideology means that it can and is being abused by those who lead it. Most people follow an ideology via belief and not via facts, the only way a true equal society will come about is when people look at the facts and stop following bull like feminism, Islam, Christianity and other such dumb and harmful faiths.

If feminism is egalitarian then why call yourself a feminism when egalitarian describes much better what your about?

By supporting a corrupted ideology you give it power and you give it's leaders power to influence laws, if the leaders are corrupt you are therefore supporting a corrupt organization.
(edited 8 years ago)
Preach👏👏👏👏 the pay gap is true don't be ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the US it isn't, which seems to be the most discussed country for the wage gap. At the very most, the actual figure would be no where near the figures that people often quote so religiously, as shown here:

[video="youtube;BDj_bN0L8XM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDj_bN0L8XM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

and here by Christina Hoff Sommers, a self-declared feminist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58arQIr882w
it does not matter what feminism "now" represents ideas adapt evolve change but I stand by women should be equal to men and vice versa which is what feminism is and so is equalitarianism-this is feminism for people who don't what to be associated with people who give feminism a bad name in my opinion i see no difference between the core principles of the ideologies.

Yes, there are no differences in the core principles of equalitarianism/egalitarianism and feminism but the movements are more than just their core principles.

I'm completely fine with people identifying as whatever label they want tbh, I just care about the principles they stand by, but if you're going to associate with a label you are choosing to associate with the social context of the label as well and you need to be aware of that.
Original post by TheNote

Stop avoiding the issue that your question fails to address the actual problems people have with modern day feminism, shout "we believe in equality" all you want, but feminist actions tell a different story. your quesiton is basically saying "give me a reason to oppose *ideology*, but you can't bring up the problems with *ideology*" the fact that feminism is an ideology means that it can and is being abused by those who lead it. Most people follow an ideology via belief and not via facts, the only way a true equal society will come about is when people look at the facts and stop following bull like feminism, Islam, Christianity and other such dumb and harmful faiths.

If feminism is egalitarian then why call yourself a feminism when egalitarian describes much better what your about?

By supporting a corrupted ideology you give it power and you give it's leaders power to influence laws, if the leaders are corrupt you are therefore supporting a corrupt organization.

You keep forgetting that all of what you say is opinion. How intolerant of you calling beliefs, faiths and religions "dumb", we should be accepting no matter our personal opinions. They are not dumb when they are "harmful" they are not truly that belief or religion ect. In most cases. I call myself a feminist and not an equalitarian because I am not ashamed to be a feminist and saying equalitarian is stupid in my opinion when it is feminism given a new name due to the stigma around feminism which is what i think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNote

You keep forgetting that all of what you say is opinion. How intolerant of you calling beliefs, faiths and religions "dumb", we should be accepting no matter our personal opinions. They are not dumb when they are "harmful" they are not truly that belief or religion ect. In most cases. I call myself a feminist and not an equalitarian because I am not ashamed to be a feminist and saying equalitarian is stupid in my opinion when it is feminism given a new name due to the stigma around feminism which is what i think. Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChickenMadness
My gf hates feminism cus its killed chivalry and men cant do nice things for women anymore.

I... completely disagree with your girlfriend, sorry :tongue:
Original post by Farm_Ecology

This literally annoys me so much, I'd love love love it if we moved to the German system where the parents get 2 years paid leave to divide between them as they wish. Much fairer for both genders, as the woman isn't essentially forced to stay at home and the man forced to work when they may not want that
Original post by TheNote

I'm a feminist. I frequently talk about men's issues, women's issues, and issues that affect both genders. I've never pushed for female superiority and have said on several occasions with specific reference to the workplace that I don't want to be given something because I have a womb, I want it because I deserve it and I'm the best qualified. We ain't all tumblr SJW's.
Original post by MelitaJay
Yes, there are no differences in the core principles of equalitarianism/egalitarianism and feminism but the movements are more than just their core principles.

I'm completely fine with people identifying as whatever label they want tbh, I just care about the principles they stand by, but if you're going to associate with a label you are choosing to associate with the social context of the label as well and you need to be aware of that.

Yes i agree but just because feminism has been given a bad name doesn't mean I'm going to shrink away from it. It is a principle i strongly believe in and always will. Equalitarianism is feminism with a new label and a better social context I'm not going to call myself an equalitarian so I'm better perceived by society lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Do not reference feminists because it's irrelevant.
Let's say for the sake of this thread that the doctrine of feminism is about establishing equal social, economic, cultural and personal rights for both men and women.

This means men and women should be paid for the same job for example.

Why exactly are you against this concept? I challenge you to respond without using "feminists" in your argument because ideologies can get warped by people as we've seen throughout humankind.

I'm playing devil's advocate, I wouldn't identify as a feminist but I want to see the reasons guys in particular give for not identifying as one.

Do not reference neo-nazis because its irrelevant.
Lets say for the sake of this thread that the doctrine of neo-nazism is about establishing equal social, economic, cultural and personal rights for all sexes and races.

This means that whites and blacks should be paid for the same job, for example.

Why exactly are you against this concept? I challenge you to respond without using "neo-nazis" in your argument because ideologies can get warped by people as we've seen throughout humankind.

I'm playing devil's advocate, I wouldn't identify as a neo-nazi but I want to see the reasons guys in particular give for not identifying as one.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Mr.ItsJustMe
I have two sides to this. I believe that women shouldn't get equality unless they do the same job, the same hours and the same treatment regarding the job. Women in Wimbledon want the same amount of prize money as men but they have less sets therefore in that regard i am not feminist.

I do however believe that if a woman beats a man then she should get the same treatment as men when being charged yet this is never the case. He may fight back and then she becomes the victim. In this sense i am a feminist.

A train will hit a man and a woman. Both same age, same jobs and of same social class. You can only save one of them - who would it be? I asked this in a group chat on fb and bc of social convention they all chose the woman. Who would you pick?

Men and equal will never be equal in social convention. I am saying this as fact of politics and civil and criminal law. As a person aside of politics i hope that both men and women will be seen as equal sexes socially, professionally and legally.

This.

+ it's nonsense anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending