The Student Room Group

Rule of Law and the Uk Judiciary

I need some help on how to answer this question rather than just blurting out information about the Rule of Law

"Evaluate the extent to which the UK Judiciary has demonstrated its willingness touphold the rule of law as against the Executive and the Legislature with reference tothe above quotation and relevant case law."
there are a couple of ultra vires, human rights and statutory interpretation cases you can use, maybe the odd one regarding parliamentary sovereignty/its limitation
but I haven't studied first year law in years so good luck have fun
"elawresources" is your personal jesus for first year law
Reply 2
problem i find with law questions if i never have enough to say - this would probably be one of them for me

there are a couple of cases where the judges have given notion of support to the rule of law and indicated they'd be willing to undermine parliamentary sovereignty in order to comply with it. I can think of Jackson off the top of my head

however bear in mind that due to the political implications and scrutiny on parliament they do not often enact legilsation that is so controversial that it breaches the rule of law so hard to tell

If you want more to say, widen the scope of your interpretation of the rule of law, enlarging it to accommodate the most basic conception: the bare principle of legality. You can find more cases on that for instance the Venables and Anderson case

Quick Reply

Latest