The Student Room Group

PGCE chances after OU

Im thinking of reapplying for a History degree through the Open University after dropping out of Bournemouth this year (personal reasons) afer doing Business Studies. What would be my chances of doing a PGCE in History/Humanities after an OU degree at a proper university compared to doing it at a university campus.
Original post by dalejb1234
Im thinking of reapplying for a History degree through the Open University after dropping out of Bournemouth this year (personal reasons) afer doing Business Studies. What would be my chances of doing a PGCE in History/Humanities after an OU degree at a proper university compared to doing it at a university campus.

Sorry you haven't had an answer to this. I will move it to a forum where you are more likely to get a reply.

A degree from the ou is respected. It will be suitable for your requirements. It shows determination and ability to work independently. Not a bad thing for the cv at all :smile:
Reply 3
Having a degree from OU is fine. In fact some of the people on my PGCE went through OU. As @beautifulbigmacs says, a degree from OU is perpaps even more relevent for a PGCE because it shows you are a hard worker.
My undergraduate degree in History is from the OU, but my MA (also History) is from a 'bricks and mortar' university. I was offered three interviews for PGCE places last year (two university, one SCITT), all of them were more impressed with/wanted to talk more about my OU degree compared with my MA.
Reply 5

I study at OU (maths) and got an offer for UCL, southampton and reading - so its possible :smile:
Would it not be a better idea for you to get QTS via School Direct? In my view, the PGCE seems a little out of touch nowadays. The PGCE staff at my school work aloof timetables, with considerably fewer classes than other trainee teachers, i.e. Teach First and School Direct. The PGCE students are less connected with the school and the students, and seem to be some of the most stressed members of staff.

Do look at salaried routes in to teaching. If you are concerned that you don't have enough experience, try getting your foot in the door first by applying for teaching assistant posts. I am currently working as a TA and studying full-time for an English BA (through the OU); my school have part-funded my degree and also guaranteed me a place on School Direct upon graduation. I am rather fortunate, but there are many good schools out there who will be more than willing to invest in you provided you can demonstrate that you have desirable qualities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending