The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Why do Management studies at Notts??

Hi at the mo im tryin to decide which uni to pick. Got offers from Nottingham for Management studies but also considering Bath Business administration course and Loughborough Management science. Just wonderin if any1 on here does management at nottingham whether:
1. They think the hours of lectures r too short -heard they r about 8-10hrs.
2. Think that the fact there is no work placement is a disadvnatage
3. Iv heard there r bout 250 on management alone, is this too many? is every1 just a number?
Any advice to help me decide wud b appreciated, thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
1) Short, but, university draws heavily on independent study. It’s the same contact time at many other top unis

2) No compulsory work placement for me is an advantage - I want to get out into the industry with a degree ASAP and seize my own opportunities (work or possible Masters). Plus, Nottm have a renowned careers service to aid you. You also have the opportunity to study at the china campus or Malaysia campus in 2nd year. This presents huge networking opportunities and exposure to a language and culture of an industry that is becoming more and more established as a powerful economy hence attracting majour business. This opportunity out-beats any low-level work placement you could ever find as being an entry level grad.

3) Too many? One should examine the course structure, from the start there are modules that involve group work/projects/presentations/seminars etc equating to higher levels of attention from professors

And, top 15 for Business/Management – The Times Good University Guide:

1) Oxford
2) Warwick
3) LSE
4) Bath
5) St Andrews
6) Nottingham
7) Manchester
8) Lancaster
9) KCL
10) City
11) Imperial
12) Aston
13) Leeds
14) Royal Holloway
15) Cardiff
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I wasn't aware that Malay was a particularly crucial language in the globalising world :wink:.

Also, ignore league tables... what a crock of crap.
helzo
Hi at the mo im tryin to decide which uni to pick. Got offers from Nottingham for Management studies but also considering Bath Business administration course and Loughborough Management science. Just wonderin if any1 on here does management at nottingham whether:
1. They think the hours of lectures r too short -heard they r about 8-10hrs.
2. Think that the fact there is no work placement is a disadvnatage
3. Iv heard there r bout 250 on management alone, is this too many? is every1 just a number?
Any advice to help me decide wud b appreciated, thanks!:smile:

1. Any management course in the UK is dependant on heavy self study. Plus, you get a lot of support if you ever need it. The tutors are in office at regular hours and you can see them if you're not sure.

2. There's plenty of opportunity for internships. Its on the University website that they believe guaranteed work placements for such results in some Uni's is not necessary etc etc. But you can still take an year out or even a term or something.

3. Add to that the FAM students there is a hell of a lot of students. Doesn't really make a difference?
Reply 4
There are differences in three courses you applied for as well, for example
Bath-Maths based
L'boro-Social science based
N'ham-Focus on entrepreneurial modules
Reply 5
I know from what people have told me there is quite a bit of maths in loughborough compared to other courses. Im not sure if there is any in nottingham as it is a BA, and i think the only bit of maths in bath is quantitative methods so Afallen how come u think Bath is maths based?
Reply 6
The course being called business administration would suggest an emphasis on maths.
I'm sure you could find the modules if you looked on the Bath Uni website..
Reply 7
Lewisy-boy
Also, ignore league tables... what a crock of crap.

yeah, tbh you can almost always find a league table somewhere to back your point up, there's so bloody many, and mostly conflicting!
what are the starting salaries like for this course
Reply 9
4.4 Billion Dollars.
Reply 10
I did maths and management studies and now am in a non-maths based grad job starting on £27k nr London - depends on what kind of career you go down and where in the country you live! And how good you are at interviews at the end of the day. Everyone has a good degree that goes for the grad jobs so you have to differentiate yourself with extra curriculars (or at least be good at being inventive about your extra-curriculars!)

Latest

Trending

Trending