The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I've got an interview for Social Work in January. Hope it goes well! :smile:
he_is_innocent
I've got a place now at my first choice, so am very very happy :-) How are you finding the course Mandy?

Oopsie, I didn't look at the date of your post! Congrats on getting a place!

I'm enjoying the course, it is hard work, especially when you're on placement as well as having loads of essays etc, but if you're an undergraduate you do some of them (essays) in the first year so it won't be quite as hectic.
Where's your interview Clefeen? I've got two in January, Bournemouth and Southampton, might I be seeing you at one of them? Lol!
Going out on placement in first year looks really scary, especially as you have to do your assignments as well but hopefully it'll be okay Lol!
Reply 83
I'm at Birmingham and the first year we don't do any placements.
Reply 84
he_is_innocent
Where's your interview Clefeen? I've got two in January, Bournemouth and Southampton, might I be seeing you at one of them? Lol!
Going out on placement in first year looks really scary, especially as you have to do your assignments as well but hopefully it'll be okay Lol!

Heya!
Unfortunatly you won't be seeing me as I've only applied to The University of Cumbria. :frown:
You looking forward to starting in September?
Oh right okay! Hoping to see a definate kind face but oh well :-) Good luck, let us know how it goes :-) Yeah, really excited, but UCAS haven't updated my track so Reading are saying I've got a place but UCAS aren't which is annoying!!
Is anyone going to interviews at either Salford, Uni of manc or Manchester met? i have my salford interview soon and dont really know what to expect apart from that it will be a group interview. What kinda things will u have to talk about in a group interview? x
At the group interview at Reading, we had to talk about our experiences of social work (like you w/exp you've done) and what skills you think a S/W needs
I havent really done much experience apart from volunteering at a playgroup! :frown: x
Don't worry, as long as you can say why that w/exp has led you to social work and what you've gained from it, it'll be fine! Life experience counts as well, so anything like peer mentoring at school, being a prefect, anything you can say has taught you skills you think are important to s/w! One girl already on the course at Reading was a manager of Pizza Hut before she came to social work, and (I think) that was the experience she brought to her interview - she'd been involved in team work and dealing with people and customers.
Pretty much anything can be useful experience for social work. Like if you work in a shop you are communicating with people/teamworking etc. Just make sure that you tell them how it relates, and what you have gained from it.
xxjesspembyxx
Is anyone going to interviews at either Salford, Uni of manc or Manchester met? i have my salford interview soon and dont really know what to expect apart from that it will be a group interview. What kinda things will u have to talk about in a group interview? x

At my group interview at Southampton we were given a case study, given a while to read it/make notes and then split into groups of four. In the interview we each got two minutes to talk about the case study and what we would do etc, then we had to discuss it as a group for a few minutes.
They want to see that you have listening skills and can put forward your own opinions as well.
Ooh, are the people at Southampton nice Mandy? I've got my interview there on the 16th Jan!
Most of the lecturers are nice, although I think we only met two of them during our interview day. I think a few of them have changed recently though and I haven't been in lectures since May.
Good look for your interview!
Thank you! I'm not actually going anymore though as I've just had my unconditional offer confirmed on UCAS track for my first choice!
Reply 95
Could someone advise me on what's best to wear for an interview? I'd like to make a good impression but I don't want to go too forma if you know what I mean.
Most people went quite smart, black/grey trousers, smart shoes, nice top! My theory was that it's better to go too formal and look like you've made an effort than go too casual and risk looking like you could be somewhere else :-)
I would say wear some smart trousers and a top. There is no need to be overly formal - when I had my interview I wore a posh jacket and felt very overdressed because some people were in jeans!
Reply 98
Thanks!

I'll probably wear some black trousers and blck shoes. I don't have a fancy top though. :frown:

Do you think a plain white shirt would look alright?
Yeah, should be fine! I don't know if you've already said this clefeen, I'm just being lazy - where's your interview? Just made myself be less lazy, Cumbria! Good luck, let us know :-)

Quick Reply

Latest