The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Hi, could anyone help me with the sort of questions they ask you in the interview for the social work degree! Im (hopefully) going to wolverhampton uni. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

YES finally a fellow social work student lol!.....i applied to wolves but i didnt go to the interview because i got into bham and uce so i didnt need to go but like do u know if its a group interview or individual interview?

Both my interviews were group interviews........uce was basically a group dicussion about social workers and some issues and stuff.....basically just discussing what u already know about the course/profession in a group of about 10 while 2 members of the uce staff made notes basically mainly about your body language and approach to different situations....make sure you listen to every1 and look at them when they are speaking but don't stare so they feel uncomfortable and DONT interupt!......a few things to mention in either a group of individual interview would be.....having good communication and interpersonal skills are essential (speech, letter writing, body language)

ermmmm....in the bham uni the interview was spil into 2 parts first part was a test of why we wanted to be a SW and the secon part we watched a lil documentry and spoke again in a group of 10 about the documentry and issues while a panel of 4 (lovely staff) assessed us......again i did the same as i did at the uce interview^

So i guess the questions would be

Why do you want to become a SW?
What/who is a service user?
Do you know any current issues related to SW (in the media or visit communitycare.co.uk)?
What is the role of a Social Worker?
Any important skills a SW would need to have?

hope this helps and let me know how u get on.....where else did u apply?
are you Male of Female?......hope to speak soon x x x
:smile: Hi, thanks for the reply, it was very helpful! I have only applied to Wolverhampton uni because i wasnt sure if i really wanted to go at first but the more i have researched SW the more i have wanted to study it, i wish now that i had applied to Stafford Uni too :s-smilie: i live in cannock so want to go to a uni close to home as my brother is at uni in nottingham 2nd year and hes now in massive debt :s-smilie:
I went to the wolverhampton uni assesment and there we had to watch a documentry which was 45mins long, we then had to write notes for one hour on the important issues, i will know next week wheather i have got an interview or not, fingers crossed!.Im 19yrs old and female, how bout you? Thanks again for the reply :smile:
awww no problem glad i could help!

im 20yrs old female too....what is the wolves campus like? nice or grotty?

im so hoping i get the grades to get into birmingham...otherwise i'll be soooo upset
You'll do it im sure!! Wolverhamtpon uni looks very nice, the social work department is in the new millenium building so everything is nice and new :smile: i have met on lecturer and he seems really friendly and helpful! Alot of people seem to think wolvo uni isnt very good but from what ive seen it looks great. Whats Birmingham uni like?
thats good it sounds nice!...i like the sound of new buildings lol

Birmingham campus is so beautiful.....when i went there for my interview i felt like i was in the USA....its really got an Amreican feel to it....its the closest im going to get to the USA for now lol

My friend went to wolverhampton uni to do social work but because i stopped working at my job where she worked we sorta lost contact but i bet it is really good and nice.

did u get the websites i posted for you in your other post?
Hiya, yea i did thanks :smile: the communitycare one was really good and think it will help with future essays, also the others with the 'day in the life of a social worker' were great to as these were the kinda websites i had been looking for!! you have been a great help :biggrin:
aww thats good....i liked the day in a llife stories too...glad i could help
Reply 8
Hiya
I have been to thre social work interviews and luckily was accepted at all of them. I was asked alot about how i would deal with stress. i was also given case studies. make sure your aware of current issues in social care. I was also asked about advocay, empowerment, cylce of disadvantage. Good luck with your interview. :biggrin:
Well done for getting accepted to all of your places, i hear the selection process is very strict! i have been reading up on all things social work but im worried now i have no idea what advocay, empowerment, cylce of disadvantage is :s-smilie: is there any good websites/books to help with this. thansk for the reply :smile:
socialworkstudent
Well done for getting accepted to all of your places, i hear the selection process is very strict! i have been reading up on all things social work but im worried now i have no idea what advocay, empowerment, cylce of disadvantage is :s-smilie: is there any good websites/books to help with this. thansk for the reply :smile:

it's probably increasingly very strict because of "we actively encourage applications from black lesbians and the transgendered" type goings-on. The value placed on diversity in the workforce, representing the diversity of wider society. Probably not so much best man/woman for the job anymore, it's a case of lesbo/gay man takes all....The world is going to pot. Diversity is the buzz word, you heard it here first.
Reply 11
Well done for getting accepted to all of your places,

Thank you

i have no idea what advocay, empowerment, cylce of disadvantage is
Advocay is a service that can be offered to service users. It involves a person (can be family/firend or from an advocay service). This person will be present at meetings such as care planning to ensure that the service user understands everything.

The cycle of disadvantage is where a person can not get out of being disadvantaged. For example:
A person is unemployed, they can not become employed due to illness, due to illness they are excluded from society.
empowerment is encouraging a person to maintain their independence, in doing this you are helping them maintain a positive sense of self

is there any good websites/books to help with this.
Im just finishing a BTEC in Care, the text book BTEC National Care by M. Walsh is excellent.

Hope this helps. Just be yourself.
Thankyou so much for that, i have only joined this site a couple of weeks ago and im amazed at how helpful people are! :smile: thankyou, i will get that book :smile:
Reply 13
No probs :rolleyes: i probably wouldnt bother buying that book. it is £20 and is too basic for degree level. perhaps see if your college/school/ library has it in to have a quick look at. Im sure you will be fine at your interview wen is it?
I went to the assesment on friday and they said they would let me know if i had an interview this week, so i am just waiting for a phone call of letter :s-smilie: fingers crossed i get one :smile:
Reply 15
Oh well, let me know how you get on. If you need any more help with any thing feel free to P.M me :smile:
yeh let us know how u get on and Good Luck
Reply 17
Did you all have loads of social work experience? I applied for Social Work last year and had 5 interviews and didn't get into any...I suppose it could be me as a person lol but I didn't have much work experience (only basic) so thought that could be the problem...so yeah just wondering if you work in that field? x
Reply 18
I have worked as a home care assistant for nearly two years with older people. Also , im doing a care related course at college. I will be 20 wen i start so i think that helps as well, as you are seen as more mature if your not fresh out of school (not that there is anything wrong with coming straight from school)
well my course now is a btec in childcare so over the last 2 years ive been into placements like schools, day care, lea nurseries, special school, hospital but like only for a term a time except for:

hospital childrens ward (1 week)
Special school (2weeks)

and thats it but i havnt had experiencs like working with oaps or older people so i dunno what they base it on......to behonest i thought i didnt have enough relevent experience and i wouldnt get in anywhere and to my surprise i actally got a call back from BIRMINGHAM UNI!!!.....even after my tutor at college said she doesnt think i will get in to a uni at all and il have to do an access course (the cheek!!!!!!!!!!)

and she has the audacity to teach us students to NEVER set children up to fail......haha so its alrite for her to set me up to fail!!! Soz bout the lil vent LOL

Quick Reply

Latest