The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what the Section A question for Wuthering Heights was?
Thanks
I will add this to the original post, but I have thought of an idea: shall we have a weekly debate about our texts and a gothic element about it?

When we have the debate, we could try it without the text, try to see if we can justify our reasons with quotes but not the text to hand. It should open our eyes to alternative arguments and allow us to form the critical argument skills that are important for Band 5 and, even more so, Band 6.

If people are interested, please do quote me and say and also suggest a structure for this!
Does anyone have links to, or know where I can find example essays for The Pardoner's Prologue and Tale?? AQA don't have any on their examiners reports either :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I will add this to the original post, but I have thought of an idea: shall we have a weekly debate about our texts and a gothic element about it?

When we have the debate, we could try it without the text, try to see if we can justify our reasons with quotes but not the text to hand. It should open our eyes to alternative arguments and allow us to form the critical argument skills that are important for Band 5 and, even more so, Band 6.

If people are interested, please do quote me and say and also suggest a structure for this!

This is a great idea! Good active revision too and will help for learning quotes- we could just set a time and day of the week when it will happen in this thread maybe and hopefully it's a convenient time for everyone wanting to take part. Also could say which texts and what gothic element would be up for debate the following week so we can prepare thoughts in our head unless it's going to be more of a spontaneous thing where we know the text but only hear the gothic element when the debate begins...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
This is a great idea! Good active revision too and will help for learning quotes- we could just set a time and day of the week when it will happen in this thread maybe and hopefully it's a convenient time for everyone wanting to take part. Also could say which texts and what gothic element would be up for debate the following week so we can prepare thoughts in our head unless it's going to be more of a spontaneous thing where we know the text but only hear the gothic element when the debate begins...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds great. What texts do you do? I do Macbeth, Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber. Any overlap?

I think each week someone should be responsible for the Gothic theme - and then they choose one, research and work on it. Then when it comes to the debate, they give a question, like

To what extent does Gothic literature expose the frailties of men to its audience?

And we can discuss!
Do you guys happen to know the aqa english literature a level 2015 paper question on Wuthering Heights? Just cause I've done all of the practice questions on the aqa website and I wanted to look through the latest paper! I would be very grateful if anyone knew, thank you:smile:
Sounds great. What texts do you do? I do Macbeth, Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber. Any overlap?

I think each week someone should be responsible for the Gothic theme - and then they choose one, research and work on it. Then when it comes to the debate, they give a question, like

To what extent does Gothic literature expose the frailties of men to its audience?

And we can discuss!

I also do the bloody chamber but my other two are Frankenstein and the pardoner's prologue and tale...
Yeah good idea then we can also learn from others in the process

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
I also do the bloody chamber but my other two are Frankenstein and the pardoner's prologue and tale...
Yeah good idea then we can also learn from others in the process

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! When shall we start this? And we also need others!

I'd be down with starting Monday next week but we need more people to see this and get involved- do you know how to make it a sticky thread? More people will see it then

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be interested in joining this discussion, the texts I am studying are The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Doctor Faustus
Original post by HWhitney324
I would be interested in joining this discussion, the texts I am studying are The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Doctor Faustus

That's great - we now have 3 people! I also do Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber :tongue:

What day would you be free?
That's great - we now have 3 people! I also do Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber :tongue:

What day would you be free?

I don't really mind, I have mocks next week until Wednesday so maybe after then. When suits you and I can see if i'm also free?
I do Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein - woo.
hiya I am new to this, I am studying Frankenstein in june 2016 i recently got a C in my mock exams hoping to acheve a B in real exams any useful links and tips I would be very greatful if you could share them
:smile:
Original post by Lkathryn08
I sat this exam last year and got an A.
I did The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Macbeth.
If there are any questions, I'll try to help!

The exact same as me! What general advice can you give?
Original post by HWhitney324
I don't really mind, I have mocks next week until Wednesday so maybe after then. When suits you and I can see if i'm also free?

Perhaps Thursday then? I will try to rally up some other people too.
Original post by ivybridge
I do Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein - woo.

I do Macbeth and The Bloody Chamber. Fancy joining the weekly debates we are going to set up?
I do Macbeth and The Bloody Chamber. Fancy joining the weekly debates we are going to set up?

Go for it! What's your top tips, man? I'm like Band 5 right now and I want 6 but consistent 6s.
Original post by ivybridge
The exact same as me! What general advice can you give?

have got any useful links for me please
Original post by ELLIS1998170
have got any useful links for me please

For what...?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending