The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Frankenstein on the gothic
element

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ivybridge
I do Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein - woo.

How did you effectively choose and remember quotes? I feel as though I am trying to remember too many but also I need enough that I can apply them to a variety of questions.

Any tips?
Original post by HWhitney324
How did you effectively choose and remember quotes? I feel as though I am trying to remember too many but also I need enough that I can apply them to a variety of questions.

Any tips?

Themes/Elements of the Gothic - reading and rereading and trying to spot the gothic elements will help you know which ones are worth remembering. For me, I just kept testing myself - writing and rewriting them.
Original post by ivybridge
Themes/Elements of the Gothic - reading and rereading and trying to spot the gothic elements will help you know which ones are worth remembering. For me, I just kept testing myself - writing and rewriting them.

Thanks!
Original post by kingaaran
Sounds great. What texts do you do? I do Macbeth, Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber. Any overlap?

I think each week someone should be responsible for the Gothic theme - and then they choose one, research and work on it. Then when it comes to the debate, they give a question, like
To what extent does Gothic literature expose the frailties of men to its audience?

And we can discuss!

Hi! I would also be interested in participating in this! I do Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Northanger Abbey although I have not started Northanger yet. I can do almost every week night besides weekends and wednesday evenings. Let me know what's happening when you come up with a structure as it will really help me with my revision. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by sophiec2
Hi! I would also be interested in participating in this! I do Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Northanger Abbey although I have not started Northanger yet. I can do almost every week night besides weekends and wednesday evenings. Let me know what's happening when you come up with a structure as it will really help me with my revision. Thanks! :smile:

I am just going to put Thursday out there. Thursday at 8pm I will post a link on here for people to join.

Have you started Faustus yet? I wouldn't mind focusing on that. I have only done The Bloody Chamber and The Lady of the House of Love from The Bloody Chamber :tongue:
I am just going to put Thursday out there. Thursday at 8pm I will post a link on here for people to join.

Have you started Faustus yet? I wouldn't mind focusing on that. I have only done The Bloody Chamber and The Lady of the House of Love from The Bloody Chamber :tongue:

I have indeed done Faustus! I have finished all the class work on it and moved on to Frankenstein.

I have also looked at virtually every story in the bloody chamber as I have completed my feminism coursework on it and I have been through lessons in class for it so I'll try my best to help you out! :tongue:
I have indeed done Faustus! I have finished all the class work on it and moved on to Frankenstein.

I have also looked at virtually every story in the bloody chamber as I have completed my feminism coursework on it and I have been through lessons in class for it so I'll try my best to help you out! :tongue:

Okay - Thursday 8pm, I will post a link to an online chat and we can discuss :biggrin:
I do The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Pardoner's Tale - yeah my school is making us do 4 😫

I got an A is AS and we did a mock of the section A (we've only studied 3/4 of Frankenstein and are just about to finish TBC so we can do the other texts) and I got a high B. I fell down because whilst I talked about gothic elements I never explicitly said 'this tale is gothic because _____ and so I can include it in this answer'
Original post by supernerdural
I do The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Pardoner's Tale - yeah my school is making us do 4 😫

I got an A is AS and we did a mock of the section A (we've only studied 3/4 of Frankenstein and are just about to finish TBC so we can do the other texts) and I got a high B. I fell down because whilst I talked about gothic elements I never explicitly said 'this tale is gothic because _____ and so I can include it in this answer'

In Section A, is this necessary? I have been told that there is no need to explicitly reference the Gothic. The question is always set on an 'element of the Gothic' - i.e. madness, transgression, sin, religion and so on - and so by addressing the question, you're also referencing the Gothic.

I don't think you would need to justify why a tale is Gothic, because, if they weren't, they just wouldn't be in the exam :tongue:
I do The Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and Pardoner's Tale :smile:
Does anyone have any notes for Pardoner's Tale or WH? Or exemplar answers?

Hey we do the same texts! (Apart from Macbeth) hardly see anyone else doing the pardoner's tale, that's the first one we went through (I'm currently doing TBC and just going over Frankenstein) it's short so hopefully that will make it easier for you, but tough that you're doing 4 books :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Section A, is this necessary? I have been told that there is no need to explicitly reference the Gothic. The question is always set on an 'element of the Gothic' - i.e. madness, transgression, sin, religion and so on - and so by addressing the question, you're also referencing the Gothic.

I don't think you would need to justify why a tale is Gothic, because, if they weren't, they just wouldn't be in the exam :tongue:

It's for choosing stories in the bloody chamber, you have to justify why it's appropriate because some, like puss-in-boots, aren't really gothic so you need to explain why it's worthy of inclusion
Original post by jill800
Hey we do the same texts! (Apart from Macbeth) hardly see anyone else doing the pardoner's tale, that's the first one we went through (I'm currently doing TBC and just going over Frankenstein) it's short so hopefully that will make it easier for you, but tough that you're doing 4 books :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they said that we'd cover the Pardoner's tale as a back up if we have time leftover, but we're about to start it when we haven't even started Macbeth yet 😰

We've been pretty slow covering everything because we spent the beginning of the year focusing on coursework
Yeah they said that we'd cover the Pardoner's tale as a back up if we have time leftover, but we're about to start it when we haven't even started Macbeth yet 😰

We've been pretty slow covering everything because we spent the beginning of the year focusing on coursework

Oh gosh ! Well at least you have some kind of back up if you don't like the other texts' questions although they're all good for the gothic more so than Chaucer hahah. Yeah we were in the same boat with the coursework taking up the time before the Christmas break- actually surprised how much we've got through🌚 Good luck with the rest of it and hope you join the debate/revision talks we'll be having! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay - Thursday 8pm, I will post a link to an online chat and we can discuss :biggrin:

Really sorry to let you know so late, my mum reminded me last night that we're going out for a meal so I won't be able to make the group chat thing :frown: sorry to let you know so late!

To help you all out though if you check last years thread for this exam there is lots of revision notes on this exam, and this includes Faustus! Good luck everyone!
Really sorry to let you know so late, my mum reminded me last night that we're going out for a meal so I won't be able to make the group chat thing :frown: sorry to let you know so late!

To help you all out though if you check last years thread for this exam there is lots of revision notes on this exam, and this includes Faustus! Good luck everyone!

No problem :smile:

Is anyone else going to join?
I'll be joining! How is it happening? Which books or is it any relating it to the gothic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
I'll be joining! How is it happening? Which books or is it any relating it to the gothic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! I guess we have The Bloody Chamber in common, which we can discuss, along with Gothic archetypes and what not.

I'll try to find some online instant chat server and post a link to it on here at around 8ish. Is that okay?
Yay! I guess we have The Bloody Chamber in common, which we can discuss, along with Gothic archetypes and what not.

I'll try to find some online instant chat server and post a link to it on here at around 8ish. Is that okay?

Okay -by the way I've only studied the bloody chamber in detail so far but now we're moving onto the courtship of mr Lyon and the tiger's bride; I've also read the snow child, lady of the house of love and puss-in-boots at least! & okay that's fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending