The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jill800
Okay -by the way I've only studied the bloody chamber in detail so far but now we're moving onto the courtship of mr Lyon and the tiger's bride; I've also read the snow child, lady of the house of love and puss-in-boots at least! & okay that's fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only done The Lady of the House of Love and The Bloody Chamber, so I think we can both guess where this will be going :tongue:
Original post by kingaaran
I've only done The Lady of the House of Love and The Bloody Chamber, so I think we can both guess where this will be going :tongue:

Hahah yeah that's cool then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
Hahah yeah that's cool then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Link to the discussion:

https://tlk.io/englishlitb

Feel free to join people!
The debate will be happening at the same time this week (Thursday 8pm). We have migrated to Skype, so that our conversation isn't lost.

Here is a link to the conversation: https://join.skype.com/DbO42r3dEq5L

Hopefully we can have more attendees this time and even more ideas to discuss! :smile:
How does one effectively analyse memorized quotes without accidentally analyzing a quote which has been altered slightly in the mind? The Examiner's report just says not to do this...
Original post by Pyslocke
How does one effectively analyse memorized quotes without accidentally analyzing a quote which has been altered slightly in the mind? The Examiner's report just says not to do this...

If it's infrequent misquoting, then it shouldn't be weighed against you too much.

If every quote is wrong, then your argument just won't be convincing. If this is the case, you've just got to take the time to learn the quotes properly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys the debate will take place roughly at 8 today- all come along! Will be discussing The Bloody Chamber and Part B questions.
Here is a link to the conversation: https://join.skype.com/DbO42r3dEq5L
Reply 67
I'll join in on the next debate :smile:
Reply 68
I do Macbeth, TBC and Frankenstein (haven't started in Frankenstein yet though)
Hello, I do Macbeth, TBC and Frankestein as well. How does anyone recommend revising for the elements of the gothic exam. I am not really sure on what the best approach is and there is an overwhelming amount of quotations to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply 70
Original post by Vanessaxx98
Hello, I do Macbeth, TBC and Frankestein as well. How does anyone recommend revising for the elements of the gothic exam. I am not really sure on what the best approach is and there is an overwhelming amount of quotations to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I'm kind of revising by going through the main themes of the texts and finding quotes to support in and thinking about interpretations surrounding that theme. Then also looking at particular elements of the gothic and trying to find quotes to support each element and seeing how they fit in with the themes. For example, in Macbeth I have looked at the idea of good vs. evil and where I think the evil stems from i.e. the witches? Lady Macbeth? Or is Macbeth a naturally ambitious character who had these evil ambitions to start with and was actually a driving force. I then link gothic elemetns such as the supernatural to the witches, their status as the other, and thus their embodiment of 'evil'. Lady Macbeth i.e her sexual transgression, the subverted gender role, her position as a femme fatale etc. Then once I've identified the main gothic feature around each moment or character I think about it's significance i.e. what is the role played by the supernatural and the witches (this is more for a section B question); they could be seen to have been the main influence in the plot, but alternatively they could been seen as relatively insignificant, used as a scapegoat, or as a figment of Macbeth's inenr mind etc.

In a nutshell, I look at how the elements of the gothic tie into the main themes of the text, then work out the significance of that gothic element.
Original post by eddso
I'll join in on the next debate :smile:

Are you joining tonight? I think we'll be debating at 8pm tonight.

You can join here https://join.skype.com/DbO42r3dEq5L
Reply 72
Are you joining tonight? I think we'll be debating at 8pm tonight.

You can join here https://join.skype.com/DbO42r3dEq5L

I'l be there :smile: Have we got someone setting the question? I can try think of one if we don't.
Original post by eddso
I'm kind of revising by going through the main themes of the texts and finding quotes to support in and thinking about interpretations surrounding that theme. Then also looking at particular elements of the gothic and trying to find quotes to support each element and seeing how they fit in with the themes. For example, in Macbeth I have looked at the idea of good vs. evil and where I think the evil stems from i.e. the witches? Lady Macbeth? Or is Macbeth a naturally ambitious character who had these evil ambitions to start with and was actually a driving force. I then link gothic elemetns such as the supernatural to the witches, their status as the other, and thus their embodiment of 'evil'. Lady Macbeth i.e her sexual transgression, the subverted gender role, her position as a femme fatale etc. Then once I've identified the main gothic feature around each moment or character I think about it's significance i.e. what is the role played by the supernatural and the witches (this is more for a section B question); they could be seen to have been the main influence in the plot, but alternatively they could been seen as relatively insignificant, used as a scapegoat, or as a figment of Macbeth's inenr mind etc.

In a nutshell, I look at how the elements of the gothic tie into the main themes of the text, then work out the significance of that gothic element.

Omg thank you! That is the perfect way to revise.
Original post by eddso

Do you look at psychoanalytical, feminist and Marxist interpretations as well when looking at the gothic elements of the text? My teacher seem to overlook these for Unit 3 and focus on it more for Unit 4. Also, what's the ratio between language analysis, structure analysis and form of a text when focusing on A02? There seems to be more emphasis on language analysis for me.
Reply 75
Original post by Pyslocke
Do you look at psychoanalytical, feminist and Marxist interpretations as well when looking at the gothic elements of the text? My teacher seem to overlook these for Unit 3 and focus on it more for Unit 4. Also, what's the ratio between language analysis, structure analysis and form of a text when focusing on A02? There seems to be more emphasis on language analysis for me.

In the Examiner Reports (Please read them - they are so helpful) there is an emphasis that psychoanalytical, feminist, marxist readings etc were not essential. If you can justifiably put in a reading which will DEVELOP, PROGRESS and ADD TO your argument, then feel free to include them, but AQA said that many candidates seemed to just throw in a Marxist/ Feminist etc. reading for the sake of it and it did not add anything to their argument. In these cases, these readings often seemed to be irrelevant to the question and therefore candidates actually LOST marks in the AO1 criteria which asks for a strong focus on the question.

Similarly, for AO2 I think language analysis is what you will naturally focus on more. But be sure to make 2 or 3 points on structure and narrative voice in order to achieve the higher bands.

Also remember that in this exam, contrary to LITB1, all the AOs have an equal weighting, so be sure to cover them all equally. With AO4 especially, as an Examiners Report mentioned, make sure you really know your context. In one year they had too many cases of vague generalisations which were unworthy of credit; such as, some candidates (for The Bloody Chamber) suggested that, even in 1970, everyone thought rape was ok and it happened often. That is simply not true and, instead of showing a secure understanding of context, shows absolutely no understanding and was therefore a waste of time putting it in, again losing marks for invalid evidence.

Hope this all helps!
Original post by eddso
x!

Ed's such a lad
Reply 77
Ed's such a lad

:h:
does anybody have the june 2015 paper ? :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Lkathryn08
I sat this exam last year and got an A.
I did The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Macbeth.
If there are any questions, I'll try to help!

Any chance you remember the questions for the Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein for section A ? (June 2015)

Quick Reply

Latest