The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hey everyone,

I struggled to locate a thread for the 2016 exam, so I started one. Please use this to talk about a variety of different things such as question, revision help (techniques), responses to questions and possible predictions of what is likely to come up.

I am doing: The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth, Dr Faustus and Wuthering Heights

Good luck to everyone :smile:
ENGLISHH!!

I'm doing the Bloody Chamber, and I really have no clue how to revise:frown: mocks are in two weeks, and my teachers still haven't even told us anything about mocks. People in my class ask them, and they'll apparently help us 'nearer the time' ): Do you mind helping one on how to revise for the bloody chamber?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by benj1999
ENGLISHH!!

I'm doing the Bloody Chamber, and I really have no clue how to revise:frown: mocks are in two weeks, and my teachers still haven't even told us anything about mocks. People in my class ask them, and they'll apparently help us 'nearer the time' ): Do you mind helping one on how to revise for the bloody chamber?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, for The Bloody Chamber, to revise I pick out around 15 quotes from the main story and around 5 quotes from the other stories and them analyse them (a lot of example answers/responses already do this for you). Then, I put them on revision cards and try and remember them and link them to the Gothic.

What i found really helpful was the internet, for each book you are studying there are loaaads of resources out there. Lit charts is a good website to help you revise all your books, especially The Bloody Chamber.

Hope this helped!
Original post by benj1999
ENGLISHH!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mock is on moday, honestly what am I doing with my life? :frown:

I want an A* in Englishhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 84
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
My mock is on moday, honestly what am I doing with my life? :frown:

I want an A* in Englishhhhhhhhhhhh

Good luck, it is hard to find the motivation - I get you!!!!!!!
Original post by Alem17
Hey everyone,

I struggled to locate a thread for the 2016 exam, so I started one. Please use this to talk about a variety of different things such as question, revision help (techniques), responses to questions and possible predictions of what is likely to come up.

I am doing: The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth, Dr Faustus and Wuthering Heights

Good luck to everyone :smile:

I have to ask this, why are you doing four? :s-smilie:
Original post by hoxfi
Any chance you remember the questions for the Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein for section A ? (June 2015)

Explore the significance of blood imagery :smile: for TBC
Original post by ivybridge
I have to ask this, why are you doing four? :s-smilie:

Oh thank god, I thought my school were the only ones doing 3 :redface:
Original post by Alem17
Good luck, it is hard to find the motivation - I get you!!!!!!!

It's not the motivation (well it is a little) but it's all the stress and the amount to get through :frown:

It will be fine, it will all be fine....BREATH! :'-)
Oh thank god, I thought my school were the only ones doing 3 :redface:

I do Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, and Macbeth. I'm not sure why some people do four...
Reply 90
I do Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber, and Macbeth. I'm not sure why some people do four...

Same, i don't know why out teacher has made us do 4, it is just more work to get through on one book we are not even going to use!!!!
Reply 91
It's not the motivation (well it is a little) but it's all the stress and the amount to get through :frown:

It will be fine, it will all be fine....BREATH! :'-)

IKR!!! There is a lot to get through!
Original post by Alem17
Same, i don't know why out teacher has made us do 4, it is just more work to get through on one book we are not even going to use!!!!

It's a bit stupid... unless they're intending you to study a fourth solely to use it for coursework... I mean we studied an extra text for the comparative but yeah.
My advice: talk about the Kate Bush song Wuthering Heights instead of the Emily Bronte novel.
The biggest hint I can give is this:

Do not enter the examination thinking you must use like fifteen quotations you have tried to remember. You must know the text well enough to spring off those that fit. You must go through and pick out all of the quotations you think are remotely useful. My quotation bank for the Lady of the House of Love is very long. It doesn't mean you'll use them all, it means you are getting to know the text better and that's all you need - to know them inside out. Not obsess with specific quotations you're going to feel the need to cram in because it depends on the question and those quotations may have little or no relevance at all to the question and you're just digressing to fit it in which will not serve you well.
I got an A in this exam. Happy to answer any questions!

A few tips though. Learn a good range of quotes. This is obvious and I'm sure most of you are aware but it is so helpful. I took it to the extreme and memorised over 200 in total but it definitely helped as I had a wide range to choose from when it came to the exam. However, it is probably more sensible to just pick a few that are applicable to several themes.

You don't necessarily have to know a lot about a text when it comes to wider reading. I literally just picked a few quotes out from books I had never read, I knew the context so I was able to apply them to my questions.

Be inventive in your answers. I came up with a few wild and obscure interpretations, but as I was able to back them up, it was fine. What I absolutely loved about this course is that there are so many ways you can explore a point. It's so much easier to be creative in this exam than it was at AS too, so make the most of that!

Don't forget to have an interesting introduction. You want to entice and impress the examiner and let them know straight away you know what you are talking about. Define any words, use nice language and use any potential technical terms.

Be succinct. You can get excellent marks with a very short essay as long as you have explored the question properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
I got an A in this exam. Happy to answer any questions!

A few tips though. Learn a good range of quotes. This is obvious and I'm sure most of you are aware but it is so helpful. I took it to the extreme and memorised over 200 in total but it definitely helped as I had a wide range to choose from when it came to the exam. However, it is probably more sensible to just pick a few that are applicable to several themes.

You don't necessarily have to know a lot about a text when it comes to wider reading. I literally just picked a few quotes out from books I had never read, I knew the context so I was able to apply them to my questions.

Be inventive in your answers. I came up with a few wild and obscure interpretations, but as I was able to back them up, it was fine. What I absolutely loved about this course is that there are so many ways you can explore a point. It's so much easier to be creative in this exam than it was at AS too, so make the most of that!

Don't forget to have an interesting introduction. You want to entice and impress the examiner and let them know straight away you know what you are talking about. Define any words, use nice language and use any potential technical terms.

Be succinct. You can get excellent marks with a very short essay as long as you have explored the question properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thank you for this! Found it really helpful, I always struggle with introductions without fail. What exactly do I need to put in my introduction? Also did you have to do a competitive coursework piece?
Reply 97
It's a bit stupid... unless they're intending you to study a fourth solely to use it for coursework... I mean we studied an extra text for the comparative but yeah.

Our teachers tell us that we should do a fourth text because it allows us to have a wider range when it comes to the exam. - I am not convinced.:s-smilie:
Hi, I'm sitting it this year and have my mock of for it tomorrow , i still don't understand how to answer the first bit. So the second bit is basically comparing the three ( in my case - bloody chamber, frankenstein and Dr Faustus). Is there a particular method of answering the first section, Last year i got an A by just commenting on the Form, language structure etc but I'm a little confused as to what i have to do for this one any help
Reply 99
Original post by Chez231
Hi, I'm sitting it this year and have my mock of for it tomorrow , i still don't understand how to answer the first bit. So the second bit is basically comparing the three ( in my case - bloody chamber, frankenstein and Dr Faustus). Is there a particular method of answering the first section, Last year i got an A by just commenting on the Form, language structure etc but I'm a little confused as to what i have to do for this one any help

Hi, I've got my mock tomorrow as well. I've found these articles but I don't think they will be of much use in terms of narrative, form ad structure though.
http://crossref-it.info/articles/312/how-to-write-a-good-english-exam-answer
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/English%20Literature%20Writing%20Guide%20final.pdf
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/your-a-level-english-literature-what-the-examiners-are-looking-for-28744154.html

I was told by my teacher that we don't compare in section B like we did a AS level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending