The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Arabic at St Andrew's?

hi :smile:
I've applied for 2016 entry for Arabic and Spanish and was wondering if anyone is either currently studying it or has also applied? To anyone who is currently there, what do you think of the Arabic side? Is it true you don't spend any time in an Arabic speaking country and if so do you think this puts you at a disadvantage? How much time do you spend in the first year just learning the language and what standard would you say you reach? (For example Oxford say you should be A level standard by the end of the first term there)
And just any other info would be great! I've heard it's one of the best places internationally to learn Arabic! :biggrin:
Original post by eleanor27
I've applied for 2016 entry for Arabic and Spanish and was wondering if anyone is either currently studying it or has also applied? To anyone who is currently there, what do you think of the Arabic side? Is it true you don't spend any time in an Arabic speaking country and if so do you think this puts you at a disadvantage? How much time do you spend in the first year just learning the language and what standard would you say you reach? (For example Oxford say you should be A level standard by the end of the first term there)
And just any other info would be great! I've heard it's one of the best places internationally to learn Arabic! :biggrin:

I did Arabic for two years here.
I liked it, but didn't want to limit my module choices for my other subject (IR). You can spend a semester in Morocco, and the uni always sends information about summer programmes you can undertake in Arabic speaking countries. I'd say you reach AS level in Year 1, A2 by the end of Semester 1 of second year. It's well taught.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

They're trying really hard to set up study abroad stuff for Arabic, it just keeps happening that every time they have something set up, the country becomes unstable and not a safe location to send students to (e.g. they had something in Cairo, something in Beirut, something in Damscus). They're always looking for new options though, and there's still the opportunity to go to Morocco for Study Abroad at the moment.

i've applied for International Relations with Arabic and Spanish too! i'm still waiting to hear back. wuite excited actually :biggrin:
Original post by Calllu-m
I did Arabic for two years here.
I liked it, but didn't want to limit my module choices for my other subject (IR). You can spend a semester in Morocco, and the uni always sends information about summer programmes you can undertake in Arabic speaking countries. I'd say you reach AS level in Year 1, A2 by the end of Semester 1 of second year. It's well taught.

Hi, did you just do IR and Arabic? or with another language too?
are the semester abroad options only available for those on the year abroad course or is it for everyone

also how much was doing a language inhibiting while studying IR if that makes sense? i've applied for triple honours (IR, spanish, arabic) so im a lil bit concerned about how much focus ill be able to have on each subject
Original post by timelizard
Hi, did you just do IR and Arabic? or with another language too?
are the semester abroad options only available for those on the year abroad course or is it for everyone

also how much was doing a language inhibiting while studying IR if that makes sense? i've applied for triple honours (IR, spanish, arabic) so im a lil bit concerned about how much focus ill be able to have on each subject

I did a mix of subjects, including Persian. No they're for everyone. WIYA usually means you teach in a country, although WIYA isnt available for Arabic, just the Spanish part of your degree.
Not really, IR isn't hard, so you just need to work a fair amount on your languages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending