The Student Room Group

would you get in a car with a 17 year old new driver

Scroll to see replies

If he passed his test he can't be too bad. He's probably nervous. I hated giving people lifts when I first started driving and always ended up stalling etc the first few weeks but the more he drives, the better he'll be (hopefully!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Yes.
A pro was once a beginner.
Everyone who passed their test at seventeen was a seventeen year old new driver at some point - irresponsible and responsible drivers alike.

If they didn't do anything purposefully irresponsible, I would, yes. I've been in cars with people who have driven for years and drive extremely recklessly - I'd much rather be in a car with the former. :biggrin:
Original post by tobie123
one of the lads on my footie team passed his test yesterday and gave me a lift home from training last night in his mum's car. I have honestly never been so scared, we must have stalled about 10 times and didn't go above 40mph on the busy dual carriageway. He then said he would give me a lift to all our away matches, but I'm afraid he'll kill us both!

LOL screw that he sounds awful. Wait a few months till he gets decent then catch lifts. He doesn't sound fit on a dual carriageway going 40mph ngl lol.
Reply 25
Original post by Alexion
8 months in and I'm still going intact... and I'm not planning on crashing any time soon :tongue:

Been giving my friends lifts to school every day of the week for the last 4 months as well. They're pretty happy with my driving.

were you allowed to drive to school straight after passing your test? you may be a good driver but you must have friends who have crashed driving to or from school with their mates in the car?
were you allowed to drive to school straight after passing your test? you may be a good driver but you must have friends who have crashed driving to or from school with their mates in the car?

None of my friends have, and I'm only aware of one (low-speed) incident so far. And yes, I was driving to school from the moment I got the car back in April.
I'm 22 and I'm worse than a lot of young drivers I've been in cars with
Reply 28
Original post by Alexion
None of my friends have, and I'm only aware of one (low-speed) incident so far. And yes, I was driving to school from the moment I got the car back in April.

fair enough. Good that you didn't give your friends a lift straight away
I get lifts with a college friend who passed recently (at 17). I normally dont comment since he is a fairly relaxed driver however when he hits country roads I tend to tell him to slow the **** down a bit until he gets to know his car a bit better. Its difficult to criticise since I normally go a bit quicker than he is but he still hasnt gotten the hang of smooth steering input or riding the line round some bends, makes for a bit of a white knuckle ride but everyone needs to learn somehow. Its better than sitting at 35 like the pensioners do and causing mass infuriation for everyone else.
Reply 30
Original post by CAElite
I get lifts with a college friend who passed recently (at 17). I normally dont comment since he is a fairly relaxed driver however when he hits country roads I tend to tell him to slow the **** down a bit until he gets to know his car a bit better. Its difficult to criticise since I normally go a bit quicker than he is but he still hasnt gotten the hang of smooth steering input or riding the line round some bends, makes for a bit of a white knuckle ride but everyone needs to learn somehow. Its better than sitting at 35 like the pensioners do and causing mass infuriation for everyone else.

speeding around country bends sounds a bit dangerous for a 17 year old newly passed driver!
I have done. Can't say I had any complaints at all about her driving. I've had more issues with the driving of a now ex friend. (he speeds and is dumb enough to use his phone whilst driving - we were lucky we stayed on the road and didn't end up seriously injured)
one of the lads on my footie team passed his test yesterday and gave me a lift home from training last night in his mum's car. I have honestly never been so scared, we must have stalled about 10 times and didn't go above 40mph on the busy dual carriageway. He then said he would give me a lift to all our away matches, but I'm afraid he'll kill us both!

Sounds like a s**t driver, how did he even pass?
Reply 33
Original post by fr0sr_
Sounds like a s**t driver, how did he even pass?

he got the max number of minor faults so only just passed. Also first time driving his mums car and at night. He also blamed his trainers as he'd worn his school shoes during his lessons! Any excuse really!
he got the max number of minor faults so only just passed. Also first time driving his mums car and at night. He also blamed his trainers as he'd worn his school shoes during his lessons! Any excuse really!

Sounds like an utter pillock.
I'd rather get a lift with someone else if I were you, or failing that get the train/bus to be honest.
Reply 35
Original post by fr0sr_
Sounds like an utter pillock.
I'd rather get a lift with someone else if I were you, or failing that get the train/bus to be honest.

he's not a pillock, just a very inexperienced driver
he's not a pillock, just a very inexperienced driver

He's being a pillock by driving at those speeds on those roads, and taking other passengers in the car with him and endangering your life aswell as his.

40 on a dual carriageway is moronic.

Again I'd advise you get a lift with someone else, or public transport - for your own safety really.
Reply 37
Original post by fr0sr_
He's being a pillock by driving at those speeds on those roads, and taking other passengers in the car with him and endangering your life aswell as his.

40 on a dual carriageway is moronic.

Again I'd advise you get a lift with someone else, or public transport - for your own safety really.

it's the system at fault not him, just 20 hours of lessons and only just 17, just a kid really. we've got a match saturday and he's asked me to go with him as he doesn't know the way, see how he is after a few days practice
it's the system at fault not him, just 20 hours of lessons and only just 17, just a kid really. we've got a match saturday and he's asked me to go with him as he doesn't know the way, see how he is after a few days practice

Ehh I'd say that he's at fault just as much as the system.
He should be able to logically take a step back and realise that maybe he needs a bit of supervision or some lessons from family to be fully competent on the road - nothing wrong with asking for help. - But I guess teenage lads aren't going to be like that.

Should be interesting to see what's changed since then, hopefully he's improved a bit. :smile:
No, but I'm very nervous in cars anyway

Quick Reply

Latest