The Student Room Group

would you get in a car with a 17 year old new driver

Scroll to see replies

No, I wouldn't get in the car with myself tbh :redface:
Reply 61
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No, I wouldn't get in the car with myself tbh :redface:

at least you're honest!
What I wanna know is how he passed his test if he managed to stall 10 times and only feels safe going up to 40mph :erm:

Edit: just seen the bit about getting the max number of minors, in that situation he should get some more lessons even though he passed, or at least practise with his parents in the car in an area with few cars around, don't think it's right to be offering you regular long distance trips at that age and driving skill level.
And whatever you say or don't say in the car, having someone else there is a distraction to the driver..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Stevo F
What I wanna know is how he passed his test if he managed to stall 10 times and only feels safe going up to 40mph :erm:

Edit: just seen the bit about getting the max number of minors, in that situation he should get some more lessons even though he passed, or at least practise with his parents in the car in an area with few cars around, don't think it's right to be offering you regular long distance trips at that age and driving skill level.
And whatever you say or don't say in the car, having someone else there is a distraction to the driver..

to be fair he stalled a lot because it was the first time driving his mums car, he had just been in the instructors car before, and also first time driving in his trainers. Still a pretty bad driver though!
Original post by tobie123
one of the lads on my footie team passed his test yesterday and gave me a lift home from training last night in his mum's car. I have honestly never been so scared, we must have stalled about 10 times and didn't go above 40mph on the busy dual carriageway. He then said he would give me a lift to all our away matches, but I'm afraid he'll kill us both!

i was expect you to say he was doing 70 and hitting a crack pipe when i clicked this
Reply 65
Original post by jamesthehustler
i was expect you to say he was doing 70 and hitting a crack pipe when i clicked this

lol it will be a while before he's doing this
Sounds like they shouldn't have passed him
Reply 67
Original post by Alexion
I would. I trust my friends.

Famous last words...
Original post by SGHD26716
Famous last words...

Make sure they put it on my grave :redface:
Ive been driving since september. Im 18 now. Havent had any accidents yet. I've scraped my door mirror on a wall and my bin, also got honked at once but that wasn't entirely my fault.
Anyway, my friends have been in my car and most of them are happy to go in again. Im taking my mum to work at the moment (not as we speak lol) and its just like having a driving instructor next to me... :/

I do have a friend though who i will avoid going in his car if he ever passes. Even with my 83 year old Grandad, the amount of times i've feared for my life!
Reply 70
Original post by Bern Herkins
Ive been driving since september. Im 18 now. Havent had any accidents yet. I've scraped my door mirror on a wall and my bin, also got honked at once but that wasn't entirely my fault.
Anyway, my friends have been in my car and most of them are happy to go in again. Im taking my mum to work at the moment (not as we speak lol) and its just like having a driving instructor next to me... :/

I do have a friend though who i will avoid going in his car if he ever passes. Even with my 83 year old Grandad, the amount of times i've feared for my life!

hitting a wall is an accident lol! Were you confident driving on your own straight after passing? have you done any long journeys yet? Your mum wasn't too confident then with your driving to begin with?
hitting a wall is an accident lol! Were you confident driving on your own straight after passing? have you done any long journeys yet? Your mum wasn't too confident then with your driving to begin with?

Lol, i was at a particularly narrow bit of road and i had to pass a car. The wall at the side of me was made of uneven rocks and one was sticking out so i clipped it lol.
I passed my test then had to wait like 3 months for my car so i was a bit nervous to begin with but im quiquite confident now in my regular journeys. If im making a new journey i try to plan everything out first with google maps.
Reply 72
Lol, i was at a particularly narrow bit of road and i had to pass a car. The wall at the side of me was made of uneven rocks and one was sticking out so i clipped it lol.
I passed my test then had to wait like 3 months for my car so i was a bit nervous to begin with but im quiquite confident now in my regular journeys. If im making a new journey i try to plan everything out first with google maps.

if you'd not drivrn for 3 months you would be a bit ropey! What does your mum think of your driving?
Reply 73
Once I started driving myself I found myself never able to relax in a passenger's seat.
if you'd not drivrn for 3 months you would be a bit ropey! What does your mum think of your driving?

I think she expects me not to be perfect. I have been taking her to work this week as she is in between cars atm and i think she underestimates me. Like today she wanted dropping off in the center of town as it was raining a little but i just dropped her off where i usually drop her off as town is full of traffic and the one way system is going to take a long time to get through so i said she could just walk lol. Anyway, she said that she thinks i'm scared of driving through town...
Her character judging skills are pretty poor if she thinks that.
In general, i would advice other people to not drive with their parents if possible. They think they're experts.
As hes only 17, i doubt hes perfect but to be honest noones perfect, different situations everyday, if you feel uncomfortable, tell him to work on his gear changing and slow down, practice in some areas or something.
Reply 76
Original post by ikhan94
As hes only 17, i doubt hes perfect but to be honest noones perfect, different situations everyday, if you feel uncomfortable, tell him to work on his gear changing and slow down, practice in some areas or something.

I think she expects me not to be perfect. I have been taking her to work this week as she is in between cars atm and i think she underestimates me. Like today she wanted dropping off in the center of town as it was raining a little but i just dropped her off where i usually drop her off as town is full of traffic and the one way system is going to take a long time to get through so i said she could just walk lol. Anyway, she said that she thinks i'm scared of driving through town...
Her character judging skills are pretty poor if she thinks that.
In general, i would advice other people to not drive with their parents if possible. They think they're experts.

did you find your driving was worse the first time you drove with your mum because you were more nervous?
Reply 77
he will get allot better quickly, i only passed my test 2 months ago and it only took me around 2 days until i was doing 40 in 30's and 50 or 60 in 40's...

also, iv had around 8 different friends in my car and no one has complained although they are dog **** with directions
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Jamesd678
he will get allot better quickly, i only passed my test 2 months ago and it only took me around 2 days until i was doing 40 in 30's and 50 or 60 in 40's...

also, iv had around 8 different friends in my car and no one has complained although they are dog **** with directions

sounds like you're over confident. You should slow down a bit until you get more experienced
Reply 79
sounds like you're over confident. You should slow down a bit until you get more experienced

no! im a safe driver but when i have someone up my ass and im doing the speed limit and i see a chance to put my foot down (long straight road) then i will speed as its fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending