The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
My TV and stuff is kinda in a cupboard with shelves so as long as it's no bigger than your standard desktop PC it's not an issue to pay more for it to be smaller.

Thanks! Highly appreciated. I wouldn't even know where to start.

How about Wi-Fi? Have you got an ethernet port close by?
Reply 21
Original post by Kholmes1
Ok thats cool. Its usually cheaper. Although you can use a controller and set it up to your tv on a laptop as well.

Yeah I've done that very briefly before, but I'd rather get a desktop. I just had this image of me sitting at a desk really uncomfortable, which was putting me off because I like to game from my bed :awesome: . That was another reason I was looking at laptops.
Reply 22
Original post by Alexion
How about Wi-Fi? Have you got an ethernet port close by?

No, I haven't. I'd need to connect it to Wi-Fi.
Original post by Kholmes1
I use a laptop. Not a gaming laptop but it can still run the new games.

Specs? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by luminarychild
Specs? :smile:

Yes I was going to ask that.

My current laptop is awful, but I'm currently installing Skyrim just to test the waters and see if it can handle it.
OK, I put this together... comes to £520, but it's always worth it investing more so that you don't regret it in the future (you want it to be built to last). Problem is that it doesn't include an OS :/

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dWCgVn

If I went overkill on any of the components, someone let me know :lol:

I originally set my own budget at £600, but I've spent around £900 on mine so far :3
A) never buy computers from Amazon. B) laptops are fine for gaming. Mine isn't even that great and it has never overheated. If you want a laptop, get a laptop. Don't buy one just because it has 'gaming' in the title. Compare specs and find a good one. Laptops really aren't that much more expensive (my sister is buying a good laptop for gaming for under £500) and are far more useful than desktops
Reply 27
Original post by Alexion
OK, I put this together... comes to £520, but it's always worth it investing more so that you don't regret it in the future (you want it to be built to last). Problem is that it doesn't include an OS :/

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dWCgVn

If I went overkill on any of the components, someone let me know :lol:

I originally set my own budget at £600, but I've spent around £900 on mine so far :3

Thanks for this. It's interesting seeing the individual prices actually. Some of the parts are really cheap. I didn't expect that. So it's the processor and the video card that cost the money really. This set up is equal to a PS4 then? And that is the absolute minimum that one could get away with for PS4/XB1 standard?

As for the OS, that's about £70 isn't it?
You can game on laptops.

Depending on your budget, you might be able to get a decent gaming laptop.

Eg. I just bought one from Dell for about £800 that can play older titles in ultra settings with high frame rates, and modern ones fairly well.

Just don't expect the same performance as a desktop of the same price. However a laptop has its own advantages (portable etc).
Thanks for this. It's interesting seeing the individual prices actually. Some of the parts are really cheap. I didn't expect that. So it's the processor and the video card that cost the money really. This set up is equal to a PS4 then? And that is the absolute minimum that one could get away with for PS4/XB1 standard?

As for the OS, that's about £70 isn't it?

I'd say that that's better than a console. Especially with the quad-core processor and that GPU, which yeah, are usually the most expensive parts :smile:

I've added the OS, and yup, it's around £73 (comes to £590 ish). http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nkP9Vn

I could probably try and shave some money off if it's getting too expensive?
I have a desk top.

It consists of an ASUS mother board, 8gb of RAM, 1tb Hard Drive, ASUS Nivida 750 GPU, Intel i5 CPU and 500 Watt power unit. Must have spent around £400 for it all, but you can buy keys for games on steam really cheap (depends on the sites you use) so that kinda makes up for the initial cost.
Reply 31
Original post by Alexion
I'd say that that's better than a console. Especially with the quad-core processor and that GPU, which yeah, are usually the most expensive parts :smile:

I've added the OS, and yup, it's around £73 (comes to £590 ish). http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nkP9Vn

What kind of things would you cut money off then?
Original post by Alexion

Wouldn't you need to include thermal paste for the CPU?

Could get a 750 instead of a 960. But that is an amazing price for a 960 so it would probably be worth it.

eBay is quite good for parts but you have to be careful.
(edited 8 years ago)

Maybe £20 off the motherboard, but that's pushing into older tech, and would require an older CPU (which, paradoxically, is more expensive)...

Could go for an i3, but then you lose your quad-core. Could switch it to an AMD CPU... I'll try that in a mo.

Could also downgrade the video card, but it's worth keeping that as a minimum to get decent fps on the latest titles.
Original post by SausageMan
Wouldn't you need to include thermal paste for the CPU?

Coolers (even the ones with the CPUs) come with pre-applied thermal paste I believe. I think you only need to buy some if you're reapplying the cooler.

Not sure as I never used the included one (went straight to a H55)
Basically, is it possible to be a PC gamer on a laptop? My friend says no. But I have no room for a desktop at all.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to what specs are satisfactory for PC gaming. How do you know if a computer is good enough for gaming?

Idek where to start...

I'm just kinda sick of consoles and I want to install mods.

EDIT:

Ok I have a different question. If I got a desktop PC, can it connect to my TV, so essentially just taking the place of my PS4? And can it use gaming controllers?

If that is the case then I can get one. By space, I mean I don't have room for a desk and a chair etc, but I wouldn't necessarily be using it for standard computer use, just gaming, so I suppose I don't need a desk.

Is this one any good for the price? Bear in mind I'm not wanting amazing stuff, just something that can run things the same as a console can, but I can add mods. My friend spent over £1000 on his PC. I'm not wanting to spend anywhere near that.

In order to get a PC that can properly match a modern console, you're probably going to need to spend at least around £500 for a desktop, significantly more for a laptop. If you're going to buy a pre-built system, do not buy it from Amazon or eBay, most of those computers are very bad value for money. PC Advisor used to have regular shortlists of the best pre-built desktop systems you can buy for under £500 so have a look to see if that's still running. Alternatively, you can build one yourself but whilst this isn't as hard as it sounds, it might be too intimidating if you're completely new to the PC scene.

You can use a PC as a substitute for a console with a controller (if the game allows) and a TV. Do bear in mind that if you're intending to use your computer for work as well as gaming (which you might as well do if you're going to spend a significant sum of money on a computer) then you're going to need to have a normal computer monitor too because TVs have too low resolutions to do work on.

Edit: The system that @Alexion put together for you looks good! You don't even need an i5 to be honest for gaming but if you can afford it, go with it. The most important thing is the graphics card. I think that's a pretty solid "minimum" build. If that's unaffordable, I'd recommend you save up a little longer rather than trying to downgrade significantly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
Coolers (even the ones with the CPUs) come with pre-applied thermal paste I believe. I think you only need to buy some if you're reapplying the cooler.

Not sure as I never used the included one (went straight to a H55)

Ah, you've got all bases covered. Haha
Reply 38
Original post by Plagioclase
In order to get a PC that can properly match a modern console, you're probably going to need to spend at least around £500 for a desktop, significantly more for a laptop. If you're going to buy a pre-built system, do not buy it from Amazon or eBay, most of those computers are very bad value for money. PC Advisor used to have regular shortlists of the best pre-built desktop systems you can buy for under £500 so have a look to see if that's still running. Alternatively, you can build one yourself but whilst this isn't as hard as it sounds, it might be too intimidating if you're completely new to the PC scene.

You can use a PC as a substitute for a console with a controller (if the game allows) and a TV. Do bear in mind that if you're intending to use your computer for work as well as gaming (which you might as well do if you're going to spend a significant sum of money on a computer) then you're going to need to have a normal computer monitor too because TVs have too low resolutions to do work on.

Original post by Alexion
Maybe £20 off the motherboard, but that's pushing into older tech, and would require an older CPU (which, paradoxically, is more expensive)...

Could go for an i3, but then you lose your quad-core. Could switch it to an AMD CPU... I'll try that in a mo.

Could also downgrade the video card, but it's worth keeping that as a minimum to get decent fps on the latest titles.

Question to you both, regarding building a computer to match current consoles...

If it costs at least £500 to build a computer to match a console, which costs £250, why do consoles have such a bad name? Genuine question, not trying to get into a console peasant argument :tongue: . The mods are the main reason I want to switch to PC, but surely in terms of value for money consoles must win? I know some of the games are cheaper on PC (plus you can take it illegal if that floats your boat), but console games fall in price quite quickly these days.
Original post by Alexion

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-COMPONENT-Gigabyte-GA-H97M-D3H-Motherboard/dp/B00KPVHNJU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_23?ie=UTF8&dpID=51nmvjh0nwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0192JDWBXT7JDZ95G1FM

Pre assembled motherboard with i5 CPU and 8gb of DDR3 RAM.
For £230 don't know if that would save you any money though would have to check.

i3 isn't very good for gaming as most games recommend i5 and above e.g. Fallout 4

They don't sell RAM with it any more sadly.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest