The Student Room Group

A Level Choices HELP!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student232
It's ok I hope that helped. I do Maths, Geography, Chemistry and I did do Physics but that was the subject I regretted so my Maths teacher said I could switch to Further Maths instead so I now do that instead of Physics.

Of course you did! A mathsy one eh? Hows A level geography? I loved the GCSE one but people say it wasn't what they expected at a level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ishan_2000
Ikr :colonhash:
The majority of the advice I have heard simply says:

First, 'pick' the compulsory subjects for your desired course, if you have one.
Then, pick the subjects you enjoy and can get a high grade in.
Simple. :u:

Egh i think my destiny is Math..:K: Im thinking either psychology/politics for my fourth tho. Plus the sixth form im going to go to has critical studies as a compulsory for AS. What uni's u thinking about applying btw?
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Of course you did! A mathsy one eh? Hows A level geography? I loved the GCSE one but people say it wasn't what they expected at a level.

Yh it's weird I've always liked Maths (I know thats a very unpopular opinion) and I loved GCSE as well, I quite like A level I mean it is mostly like GCSE but with horribly worded questions. I prefer physical Geography to human but I'm mostly looking forward to next year when we get to do weather and tectonics again, I don't mind rivers but I think next years topics are going to be so much better. Are you more human or physical or both?
Yh it's weird I've always liked Maths (I know thats a very unpopular opinion) and I loved GCSE as well, I quite like A level I mean it is mostly like GCSE but with horribly worded questions. I prefer physical Geography to human but I'm mostly looking forward to next year when we get to do weather and tectonics again, I don't mind rivers but I think next years topics are going to be so much better. Are you more human or physical or both?

Nooo. tbh i love maths when i understand it uno. (ALGEBRA IS BAE :biggrin:) but when i don't...its a completely different story. Trust me im physical geo all the way! Something about it that makes it so easy to get for me...Human is good but its not my strong one. Ohh and I heard that A2 more interesting in terms of subjects like you said :redface:
Nooo. tbh i love maths when i understand it uno. (ALGEBRA IS BAE :biggrin:) but when i don't...its a completely different story. Trust me im physical geo all the way! Something about it that makes it so easy to get for me...Human is good but its not my strong one. Ohh and I heard that A2 more interesting in terms of subjects like you said :redface:

Yh got to love a bit of algebra and trigonometry :biggrin: if you are good at algebra that is pretty much linked to everything in a level maths so I wouldn't worry. It's just so much more interesting than human, I think the reason its easier is its mostly content while human involves thinking and horrible questions, well thats AS anyway :frown:. Are you considering Geography or is it one of those subjects you just want to leave after GCSEs? I have to admit I get so much less homework and have to do less work in it than people who do History and other essay subjects :smile:.
Yh got to love a bit of algebra and trigonometry :biggrin: if you are good at algebra that is pretty much linked to everything in a level maths so I wouldn't worry. It's just so much more interesting than human, I think the reason its easier is its mostly content while human involves thinking and horrible questions, well thats AS anyway :frown:. Are you considering Geography or is it one of those subjects you just want to leave after GCSEs? I have to admit I get so much less homework and have to do less work in it than people who do History and other essay subjects :smile:.

Ooo thats good! yeah im pretty strong in things like algebra and trig. Lool boosts my ego when other people find it harder to grasp (that sounds awful but i gotta be honest) But its allowed cuz im not an A* student just an A trying to get to A*, might aswell bask in some glory! :biggrin: Trust me i'm so considering geography! It looks so good! and gotta admit the field trip parts look the best. Tbh the only bad thing is after doing geography i literally cannot look at a beach the same way..EVER! XD (I went to Slapton for field trip/coursework in the blooming winter :colonhash:) Dear God I'm thankful i didn't take history. Im just not made to remember dates and loooads of writing :biggrin:
Ooo thats good! yeah im pretty strong in things like algebra and trig. Lool boosts my ego when other people find it harder to grasp (that sounds awful but i gotta be honest) But its allowed cuz im not an A* student just an A trying to get to A*, might aswell bask in some glory! :biggrin: Trust me i'm so considering geography! It looks so good! and gotta admit the field trip parts look the best. Tbh the only bad thing is after doing geography i literally cannot look at a beach the same way..EVER! XD (I went to Slapton for field trip/coursework in the blooming winter :colonhash:) Dear God I'm thankful i didn't take history. Im just not made to remember dates and loooads of writing :biggrin:

Lol the second chapter of C2 (the hardest module is AS Maths) is literally triangles... not even harder ones than GCSE, I saw it and was so surprised and happy (we just won't talk about the rest of it :K:). Yh its the only subject where they make you go on a field trip :biggrin: it is standing in rivers but I'm still looking forward to it in a weird way. Oh thats not good I went Weymouth but it was just after winter and the weather wasn't too bad, so beaches aren't quite ruined for me (but rivers might be after the field trip this year). Me too I got sick of learning about wars in year 7 and 8 so I was like bye History :biggrin: plus that writing, hurt my hand.
Egh i think my destiny is Math..:K: Im thinking either psychology/politics for my fourth tho. Plus the sixth form im going to go to has critical studies as a compulsory for AS. What uni's u thinking about applying btw?

Yeah, I think we also have to do General Studies for AS. Forcing us to do it is stupid though...

We're in Year 11! I haven't thought about unis much yet....But, I will probably try and apply to 2/3 BMAT unis, and 2 other unis that are on UKCAT or with no exam to give me a wide range, and not discounting any unis I want to go to...
Hoping to apply to Oxford/Cambridge though, but Idk. :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I think we also have to do General Studies for AS. Forcing us to do it is stupid though...

We're in Year 11! I haven't thought about unis much yet....But, I will probably try and apply to 2/3 BMAT unis, and 2 other unis that are on UKCAT or with no exam to give me a wide range, and not discounting any unis I want to go to...
Hoping to apply to Oxford/Cambridge though, but Idk. :dontknow:

I know. For us its either critical studies or general studies, hence me picking critical. I guess its good having a choice But i would have rather focused on my other major subjects in that time.
Yeah i see. But same, im hoping I'd get the chance to apply at the Oxbridge Uni's but hey in the end i'd be happy getting into medicine.
Reply 29
Right so i want to do Medicine for defo in uni. And i'm really confused on the a levels that i should do. I want to take four and i know I'll need to take biology and chemistry. Is A level maths/physics essential to secure a place in uni? Which other two subjects would you recommend. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Edit- I'm at A grade Maths in GCSE and A* in physics btw (also GCSE)- If this helps towards any advice :smile:
Edit..again..:biggrin:- Please could someone tell me what A level math and a level physics is like?

I'd say take maths and physics. Definitely pick maths if you can because in admissions test like the bmat, you will need to know a faire amount of maths, which means without maths A level you will have to teach yourself some of the maths required, wasting time you could use for wider reading. I'd say pick physics because you are working at a high level and also it links in well with biology and chemistry, better than any other subject would. Also physics is highly regarded as a difficult A level, so getting a good grade on it at A level will be highly regarded. So Imo choose biology chemistry physics and maths.
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'd say take maths and physics. Definitely pick maths if you can because in admissions test like the bmat, you will need to know a faire amount of maths, which means without maths A level you will have to teach yourself some of the maths required, wasting time you could use for wider reading. I'd say pick physics because you are working at a high level and also it links in well with biology and chemistry, better than any other subject would. Also physics is highly regarded as a difficult A level, so getting a good grade on it at A level will be highly regarded. So Imo choose biology chemistry physics and maths.

Thank youu! :smile:
I know. For us its either critical studies or general studies, hence me picking critical. I guess its good having a choice But i would have rather focused on my other major subjects in that time.
Yeah i see. But same, im hoping I'd get the chance to apply at the Oxbridge Uni's but hey in the end i'd be happy getting into medicine.

Yeah, I agree. I'd be especially happy to get into any university for medicine after I read a statistic on tsr somewhere where it said 60% (maybe tsr or somewhere online) of medicine applicants get FOUR rejections! :no:
Yeah, I agree. I'd be especially happy to get into any university for medicine after I read a statistic on tsr somewhere where it said 60% (maybe tsr or somewhere online) of medicine applicants get FOUR rejections! :no:

There's so much family expectations too you see, like i would hate to disappoint them. I've seen that too somewhere!! But people who get in should truly consider themselves blessed. :adore:
There's so much family expectations too you see, like i would hate to disappoint them. I've seen that too somewhere!! But people who get in should truly consider themselves blessed. :adore:

Yeah, it's seen as an achievement by anybody who can get into 'medical school' worldwide. :holmes:It's like no other course out there. Just get the grades, talk confidently, write a decent ps, done. Simple. :awesome::hmpf:

Quick Reply

Latest