The Student Room Group

Tories commence assault against atheism in schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gears265
Mine was compulsory. It was hell (mind the pun)

Like I said, school policies, innit.
I actually really liked my GCSE and really wanted to do A Level, but I suppose it depends on what board you do - I did AQA GCSE and it was philosophy and ethics, which I'm really interested in (more ethics than philosophy tbh), rather than specific religious beliefs if that makes sense (and also totally agree re: freedom to choose your GCSE's)
Original post by Hydeman
They are legally obliged to teach the national curriculum, sure, but the enforcement of this particular rule is remarkably lax. There are faith schools where children, claiming to have been taught both creationism and evolution on a fair and equal basis, have unanimously agreed that creationism is the more likely explanation for the origin of human life. Draw your own conclusions from that. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I completely agree - even in schools where evolution is taught, a lot of the time the teachers will talk about how it's wrong and how creationism is right. Drives me mad
You know this is already in practice? In Catholic and Islamic schools. Of those I have spoke to who attend them, either it is never mentioned, mentioned during one lesson in the year and/or is incredibly bias in discrediting it.

Do you actually support the existence of faith schools? I thought the Birmingham ones exposed last year for their actions would have been any reason not to

i went to a Catholic school and Evolution was completely the standard model of biological change. an apology would be nice.
Reply 63
Original post by abruiseonthesky
What about the general population, though? I'm not attacking, I'm honestly just curious. In Germany now, you can opt to do a year of social service after your Abitur (A Level equiv.) which is usually army/police/caring areas like volunteering in hospitals, which is pretty cool, and I think is a good alternative to forced army service in that if you disagree with the army's actions you're not forced into it.

You can do that in Israel, volunteer at a hospital or caring for old people and so on. The ultra-orthodox community rejects any service to what they regard as an abomination state.

Imo conscription is an ancient idea anyway - who are you to tell adults what they will and won't do

So you're saying that people should not be liable to do anything that is mandated by law if they don't agree with it?

Israel is a country with unique security requirements. It is absolutely justifiable for a democratic state to implement a system of national service where its existence depends on it.

especially with something like the army. I just don't see what's so wrong with refusing to serve in the army

If someone doesn't want to serve in the Israeli Army, then don't move to Israel. It's not that complex a concept, is it? If you think the Israeli government is an evil abomination 666 state (or whatever these lunatics believe), then don't migrate to Israel, knowing that it has national service.
Original post by woIfie
You can do that in Israel, volunteer at a hospital or caring for old people and so on. The ultra-orthodox community rejects any service to what they regard as an abomination state.

Is that as an alternative to service in the army? Because that sort of thing I don't mind - if you have a choice not to serve in the army, I literally have no problem with having a year of mandatory service sort of thing. That is ridiculous though - you move to the country, you follow their laws, sorry

Original post by woIfie
So you're saying that people should not be liable to do anything that is mandated by law if they don't agree with it?

Israel is a country with unique security requirements. It is absolutely justifiable for a democratic state to implement a system of national service where its existence depends on it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I recall saying something like 'within reason, I'm not advocating abolishing laws or whatever'..?

That doesn't mean I have to agree with conscription. I don't agree with it in any country, it's not unique to Israel

Original post by woIfie
If someone doesn't want to serve in the Israeli Army, then don't move to Israel. It's not that complex a concept, is it? If you think the Israeli government is an evil abomination 666 state (or whatever these lunatics believe), then don't migrate to Israel, knowing that it has national service.

Again, I might be wrong, but I think I said 'what about the general population', meaning those who are born there, not immigrants. Sorry if that wasn't clear :smile:
Original post by the bear
i went to a Catholic school and Evolution was completely the standard model of biological change. an apology would be nice.

Just because yours did, does not excuse the many that don't. As for faith schools. They should be banned, publicly burnt down and ridiculed.
Just because yours did, does not excuse the many that don't. As for faith schools. They should be banned, publicly burnt down and ridiculed.

people who ban... publicly burn... and ridicule... ? are they wearing well-cut uniforms by any chance ?

(edited 8 years ago)
When I think of all the schools I've worked or observed in, the best ones have been CEVA, or at the very least had a Christian ethos.I'm not religious, but would definetly prefer to work in a Church school.

Though I know forcing all schools to adhere to that won't make them all good.
people who ban... publicly burn... and ridicule... ? are they wearing well-cut uniforms by any chance ?

That is a bit of an ironic statement considering the blood on the hands of religion. But as you are a man of productivity I guess that could be a waste. I would support converting the faith schools into homosexual bars and clubs though, in fact that might even be better, do you agree?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 69

Again, I might be wrong, but I think I said 'what about the general population', meaning those who are born there, not immigrants. Sorry if that wasn't clear :smile:

And I'm pretty sure I pointed that people can engage in alternative, non-military service if they want ;-) Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you don't want to be required to engage in national service, then don't move to Israel.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with conscription. I don't agree with it in any country, it's not unique to Israel

That's a fairly unsophisticated and clunky position. Leaving aside your agreement (and tbh your agreement is neither here nor there, I'm not that interested in your views on this subject.. don't mean to be rude, this thread is about religion), it's quite clear Israel does have unique security requirements that place a different moral colour on a democratic government implementing a national service system.

There is clearly a different moral basis for conscription in a country where having a substantial body of young people under arms ensures the survival of the state, and indeed the actual survival of its inhabitants. I don't think you've really bothered to think about the subject very deeply if you have not or cannot apply some philosophical and moral distinctions around the degree of necessity in the existence of the policy. That is why I would not support conscription here and now in the UK, but in different circumstances I may view it as justifiable.

Anyway, as I said I'm not really interested in having a debate about this tonight/here. Good night.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by woIfie
-

Calm down, I said I was just curious, Christ :tongue:
Original post by Skip_Snip
When I think of all the schools I've worked or observed in, the best ones have been CEVA, or at the very least had a Christian ethos.I'm not religious, but would definetly prefer to work in a Church school.

Though I know forcing all schools to adhere to that won't make them all good.

I will agree that, generally speaking, church schools do tend to be better-performing schools. But surely that isn't an argument for church schools, but for improving other state schools?
Reply 72
Calm down, I said I was just curious, Christ :tongue:

Sorry but I don't have any interest in flattering your martyr's complex. None at all
That is a bit of an ironic statement considering the blood on the hands of religion. But as you are a man of productivity I guess that could be a waste. I would support converting the faith schools into homosexual bars and clubs though, in fact that might even be better, do you agree?

it is marvellous that you are showing the true face of the Opposition, unlike amiable old buffer Jezz. we can see clearly the peril from which our great nation was delivered on 7th May 2015. thank you again.
Original post by woIfie
Sorry but I don't have any interest in flattering your martyr's complex. None at all

Wow. I asked a simple question. If you'd like to look through the rest of your thread, you'll find I have been discussing religion. No need to be so bloody rude!
I will agree that, generally speaking, church schools do tend to be better-performing schools. But surely that isn't an argument for church schools, but for improving other state schools?

Well, yeah. But I was really just speaking from anecdotal experience.

I'm sure if I'd been in every school in my county, I could find even better non-denom schools, and really crap Church schoools.
it is marvellous that you are showing the true face of the Opposition, unlike amiable old buffer Jezz. we can see clearly the peril from which our great nation was delivered on 7th May 2015. thank you again.

The great thing is, unlike religion I haven't got the blood on my hands. Religion will always have its dark parts, in fact most of it is dark. No matter what you pro-theists say, you can never dispute that and that is why the argument against religion in the last 200 years has continued to make ground.
The great thing is, unlike religion I haven't got the blood on my hands. Religion will always have its dark parts, in fact most of it is dark. No matter what you pro-theists say, you can never dispute that and that is why the argument against religion in the last 200 years has continued to make ground.

:yawn:

change the record someone

But doesn't burning down faith schools put you on the same level as the religious people you don't like?
They're the ones that are famous for censorship of things they think are evil and harmful (atheism).
Reply 79
Wow. I asked a simple question. If you'd like to look through the rest of your thread, you'll find I have been discussing religion. No need to be so bloody rude!

Oh the irony. Anyone who looks through your posts on here can see you were getting fresh and laying the patronising tone on very thick at points. I rebut a few of these in a similarly-salty fashion and then call time, and suddenly the martyr complex switches on.

Good night

Edit: If you think I was rude, I apologise and maybe it was a misunderstanding. We clearly have very different views on this subject, I think I could convince you of my position, but not now and not tonight. I will create a new thread on conscription, as it is a worthy subject
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending