The Student Room Group

Are you 18-60? Jury verdicts

If you are a UK citizen aged 18-60 and have any spare time to fill out this dissertation survey it would be much appreciated! Thank you!

https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/how-do-pre-trial-biases-affect-jury-verdicts-in-fem

It links to jury verdicts so you may find it interesting if you are studying law!
Reply 1
"A lot of the time, females who claim they were raped have emotional problems"

what a statement. if they didn't before the rape, they probably ****in' did after :colonhash:
Reply 2
Yes Potrion. I can't say I designed the two scales myself, they have been designed and used across many published journal articles.I did make some slight alterations to some of the wording but cannot change much for comparison reasons. There are some interesting statements.

Thank you for taking the time for the survey.
Reply 3
Original post by JohnGreek
I've just completed it - these hypotheticals are great for a bit of thought

Hope that this helped :smile:

I agree! Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it!
Interesting, I assume that rape is rape, and the sentence is usually the same no matter what the circumstances.

But I'd argue different situations should result in different lengths
In the UK, there has been long-term concern regarding the legal processing of rape offences. This study will investigate how pre-trial biases can influence, and possibly predict, jury verdicts in female victim rape trials. This may indicate whether potential jurors should be assessed for biases prior to serving on a jury.

So the proposal is to hand-pick jurors based on how closely their opinions of rape correlate with yours? Does this happen with any other crime? The whole point of a jury is that, beyond being a certain age and having a certain criminal record etc., they are selected at random, with no filter on their personal beliefs. What a vile and Kafkaesque idea. Also, why are they only interested in 'female victim rape trials'? This whole study reeks of Brave New World feminism and I encourage others not to participate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Interesting, I assume that rape is rape, and the sentence is usually the same no matter what the circumstances.

But I'd argue different situations should result in different lengths

Of course 'rape isn't rape', the idea is ludicrous. A husband continuing to have sex with his wife after she asks him to stop is obviously not as serious as the violent gang-rape of a minor.
Original post by a noble chance
Of course 'rape isn't rape', the idea is ludicrous. A husband continuing to have sex with his wife after she asks him to stop is obviously not as serious as the violent gang-rape of a minor.

Well that was my thought pattern, but I *thought* that the sentence is the same for any rapist.

Introducing a minor is a different matter.
Reply 8
Original post by a noble chance
So the proposal is to hand-pick jurors based on how closely their opinions of rape correlate with yours? Does this happen with any other crime? The whole point of a jury is that, beyond being a certain age and having a certain criminal record etc., they are selected at random, with no filter on their personal beliefs. What a vile and Kafkaesque idea. Also, why are they only interested in 'female victim rape trials'? This whole study reeks of Brave New World feminism and I encourage others not to participate.

I appreciate your response but I would have to disagree and attempt to explain why. The reason it is only female-victims is because it is part of a final year dissertation, and although I agree that both should be investigated, I am not in a position to take on that amount of work so had to limit it. That is something I have got down in my discussion section as a proposal for future research though.

The purpose is to investigate how pre-trial biases can affect jury verdicts. Questioning should people be analysed for these biases prior to being allowed to serve on a jury, in order to give the suspected offender a fair trial? Is it fair that people are selected randomly?

As stated before, I appreciate your response and perhaps there is a conflict in opinion or interest. It certainly is not about choosing jurors based on how closely their opinions on rape correlate with a person's. That was a misunderstanding
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well that was my thought pattern, but I *thought* that the sentence is the same for any rapist.

Introducing a minor is a different matter.

Rape sentences can vary a lot, with several considerations which affect them. Thank you for your interest. Enjoying listening to people's views
Original post by Kelly95
Rape sentences can vary a lot, with several considerations which affect them. Thank you for your interest. Enjoying listening to people's views

Oh okay, that's good to know then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending