The Student Room Group

Nearly there .. Merkel's New Year's speech will have arabic subtitles

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abruiseonthesky
Apparently if you're a British expat you don't need to learn German, it's perfectly fine to use the subtitles... I hate this 'everyone speaks English so I don't need to learn a foreign language' mentality, especially when it's so inconsistently applied for some sort of agenda like we see at Breitbart...

English is the main language in the world. It is spoken by the most countries (In b4 someone says mandarin cos china has 1b+ derp derp)

The point is everybody important non English learns English (Not for 1 year when they are 15)

I am not excusing English expats for their complacency or lack of desire to learn the language of whatever country they are in, just explaining how the two dont compare well
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Angela Merkel must be receiving lots of awards and praise for destroying German and all European descent people

Puppet leader her time will come and those refugees will be sent back to Turkey where they came from
Original post by Tawheed
They've only just arrived in germany. Give them time to learn the language, and let them rightly understand a first new years speech after setlling in an alien country.

EXACTLY. I really don't get why people are kicking off about this when these refugees have arrived within the year and I've been learning German for 8+ years and still sometimes have to really concentrate when listening to TV?!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
English is the main language in the world. It is spoken by the most countries (In b4 someone says mandarin cos china has 1b+ derp derp)

The point is everybody important non English learns English (Not for 1 year when they are 15)

I am not excusing English expats for their complacency or lack of desire to learn the language of whatever country they are in, just explaining how the two dont compare well

I'm not saying it's a directly comparable situation, I'm talking specifically about the hypocrisy of Brits complaining then doing the exact same thing, and our annoying arrogance/ignorance as a nation towards learning other languages. Yes, English is the most important language in the business/scientific etc. world, but that doesn't give a random Brit a free pass to be ignorant and rude about other countries' languages/cultures. I just think it's rude to be all 'everyone speaks English so why should I bother learning another languages', especially when this isn't even true in the more remote/less tourist-y areas of a country. I live in Berlin atm, where I could if I wanted to get by without ever speaking a word of German; my friend's living in a town in Nordwest-Rheinfalen not too far from Dortmund and Düsseldorf, and barely anyone speaks English (we got stared by kids at on the bus when we spoke English to each other :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending