The Student Room Group

OCR AS History: Document Studies (Sources)

I was having a look at the mark scheme for the second question that we get in this paper and it says
The answer contains a good balance between analysis of all four Sources and of independent ('own') knowledge...

What exactly does it mean by a "good balance"? What sort of ratio of source:knowledge are we looking at?

Also, when I write my essays for these questions, I have my own points and use the sources to back up the ones which they're based on. Is this the best way of doing it? If not, what other methods can you recommend?

Thank you for your help. :smile:
Reply 1
Dharma
When I write my essays for these questions, I have my own points and use the sources to back up the ones which they're based on.

I agree that is the best way :smile: I think a good balance just means you havent used just your own knowledge/ the sources :smile: As long as you have a bit of both, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks. :smile:

Some of my paragraphs make no references to the sources, but that's because I feel that there is a point that should be made which the sources don't touch on. Is that OK?

Also, would I be right in saying that if you quote from a source, there's no way they can deduct marks from you for not using the sources properly/enough?
Reply 3
I'm told that the best method is to use a source to support your argument, then reinforce this point with your own knowledge, throughout, therefore you get a good balance.
Reply 4
It's probably best to only make a point if you can support it from the sources
Reply 5
The structure that you're doing is good, my teacher is constantly saying to us (I'm doing A2 source paper scarily soon) that the examiners don't want a run through of the sources, they want to see that you can argue coherently using the sources as support.

From what I can remember last year if you only use your own knowledge the highest you can get is a D but if you only use the sources the highest you can get is a C. So maybe something along the lines of a 60/40 split between sources/own knowledge but make your point before you bring in the source.

Hope that has made sense and good luck, I find the source paper to be by far the hardest exam. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending