The Student Room Group

Predicted AAB..

Hey,

I'm looking to study psychology at university, but think that my predicted grades will be AAB. I know how competitive psychology is and just because they give out a typical offer of AAB doesnt mean you will get one with those predicted grades, you may need higher.

So, my question really is please can anyone tell me univeristies that you have got into with a prediction of AAB for psychology this year??
I was hoping to apply to places like exeter, bristol, warwick, birmingham etc, but it seems everyone morealess needs AAA prediction.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Psychology degree aren't that competitive, Only Oxford/Cambridge would ask for AAA I think
Reply 2
aaaaahhhhh
Hey,

I'm looking to study psychology at university, but think that my predicted grades will be AAB. I know how competitive psychology is and just because they give out a typical offer of AAB doesnt mean you will get one with those predicted grades, you may need higher.

So, my question really is please can anyone tell me univeristies that you have got into with a prediction of AAB for psychology this year??
I was hoping to apply to places like exeter, bristol, warwick, birmingham etc, but it seems everyone morealess needs AAA prediction.

Thanks.

I think you should have a good shot at those uni's but obviously it also depends on what subjects you're doing and your personal statement. Bristol I would say is probably going to be the hardest out of those as they are really popular and lots of people who were predicted 3A's got rejected. Warwick's entry requirements are really low in comparision to some other uni's so your grades should be fine.

Some uni's have put up their entry requirements for 2008 entry so many places that were ABB are now AAB or AAA. Why don't you have a look on the websites from the universities. If you have two or more science subjects you'll be more likely to get a lower offer...for some places.
Reply 3
Afallen
Psychology degree aren't that competitive

Hate to disagree, but i found it to be VERY competitive, especially Bristol/York which both said they have 1500-2000 applicants for less than 100 places!!

its a very popular degree which means most of the top 30 unis are offering AAB/ABB. all my offers came back for AAB (no pressure then!).

i think everyone with AAB up is in the same bag more or less, just be really sure to make your personal statement stick out a mile,
Nottingham, Bristol, York all say AAB and are very good, i think Bangor does one for lower grades, not sure though.
in my experiance as long as you are predicted the enterance grades, YOU are more important.
Reply 4
If you do the IB, you can be predicted the equivalent of over AAAAA and still be rejected, so it is competitive :smile:
If your worried make sure your personal statement is really up to scratch, try and convey just how passionate you are about psychology and how much you want to do it that will help alot.
Im sure with AAB you wont have too much of a problem even though the courses are competitive.

Remember alot of the applicants who apply to unis like that dont stand a chance at ever achieving good enough grades to get in. Some apply with predicted grades that dont even meet the outlined criteria, some apply without th relevant subjects or GCSE's.

All you can do is give it your best shot and im sure you will be fine:smile:
Reply 6
aaaaahhhhh

You stand a chance at anywhere that has AAB in their prospectus (and even AAA if you have particular subjects), although whether you get an offer is a gamble. It's worth applying for a couple with lower entry requirements just to be on the safe side.

Also, i'd say don't be afraid of accepting an AAA offer if it is somewhere you really want to go to. (i declined one and then ended up getting the grades :rolleyes: )
Reply 7
Yeh there's a few which are really competitive; Oxbridge, York, Warwick, Bristol Bath, Notts

But there's loads which are equally as good and slightly less competitive, but still require decent grades. I'm predicted AAA and I was accepted by Reading, Birmingham, Liverpool, Loughborough, Lancaster and Sheffield. I did consider some of the more pretentious ones, but after comparing pros and cons I decided these were the best for me to apply to. Although I'm predicted AAA, these are in Psychology, Sociology and Media Studies, and my GCSE grades are poor (C in maths, DD in science) so I prob wouldn't have got into Oxbridge, York, Warwick etc. I applied to the ones who wanted AAB, with minimum C in maths as I thought this would be a bit less stats heavy. I think I'll go 2 Reading; it has an outstanding reputation and is one of the few to have 24 out of 24 and maximum 5* in those 2 test things. If you haven't got really sciencey subjects I'd probably not bother applying 2 any of the few mentioned at the top, but you might have a better time at one of the less snooty ones.

Anyway good luck mate
Reply 8
Warwick isnt competitive is it? I was predicted ABBC and got the offer of BBBb, no idea where everyones pulling these AAB's and AAA's froms
Reply 9
Robbolo
Warwick isnt competitive is it? I was predicted ABBC and got the offer of BBBb, no idea where everyones pulling these AAB's and AAA's froms

No I didn't think it was either....nor Nottingham.
Most of the uni's I applied for (Leeds, St Andrews, Manchester etc) all were offering at AAB.

You can still get onto a decent course with lower grades than this though.

Edinburgh only asks for BBB for example.

I'm at Swansea (not top of the leagues I realise, but it does score more highly than Durham...) and they only ask for BBC so it's perfectly possible to get on a course without getting AAA.

I even remember some places like Greenwich only asked for CCC, but this was a while back so it may well have changed.
Reply 11
icantthinkofacoolusername

Edinburgh only asks for BBB for example.

Yeah but you have to have two of chemistry, biology maths or physics. Also you have to have A in GCSE maths and B in science...so it's not as easy as it looks as most other uni's with higher grades do not have such specific requirements.
i've been accepted for all my courses and newcastle, leeds, manchester and sheffield all wanted AAB, i found it is competitive but with strong grades and a strong personal statement you have a good chance, i also had a work placement for 6 months, little extra things give you and edge and would definitly advise you to have something that makes you stand out from other applicants. Good luck!
Reply 13
Your grades aren't the issue mateeee... I got into manchester - which rejects like 40.000 people a year(more than Oxford and Cambridge - and I have AAB predictions.

You're applying very late if you haven't made your choices already, so you may struggle getting places from the more prestigious uni's
However, you might as well apply for the better uni's and then if you don't get a place go through clearing. I don't see the point in applying for a uni that asks for lower grades - I got rejected from Northumbria and accepted to Manchester so read what you like into that - you'll be selling yourself short mate.

If your personal statement is good enough you'll get into most places.

Keep us updated.

Latest