The Student Room Group

What to do about my working life/job situation/career prospects. grad losing hope

There are a number of points to be made; I'll list them all to be brief:

- I hate my job! In fact, I hate my current boss- she's a control freak, manipulator, sociopath, a liar, and a bully- and very good at it. She pushed my former manager out of his job (who was much nicer) with another colleague and got his job (that's another story). The work is zero hour contract, intensive labor, in a hotel. Very toxic and not good for the morale. Ever since she took over this place is completely different and not for the better.

- I'm a graduate, and although I have a degree, I'm trying to find work at the other end of the country to live with my partner. I'm applying online over here for work, but no cigar- I'm thinking about completely jacking in my job here and moving over to be with her. Regardless of having to sign on. I'm just so low with this job, I hate my colleagues and want to live in another city. Would any grads recommend this? I know signing on is probably a pretty brash conclusion, but what else is there I can do? I'd have more chance finding work when there with the help of (dare I say it) the job centre.

- my current job wasn't intended to be a career, nor is it now, but I'm just getting rejection after rejection. It's a blow it my confidence, and starting to think no-one will hire me. Problem is, me and family live here in company owned accommodation and boss is our landlord. We've complained about various incidences over the years to the board of directors, but they shun us and never listen. They like her. HR are external, and they are good mates with her.

We are at this firms beck and call and it makes me angry to think. We have to sit here and comply to my bosses treatment in fear of jobs. It's so easy for me to come back here when I can't find work elsewhere, but I want to stick my two fingers up at my boss for once when I finally do leave.

What can I do? I miss my partner, I wanted to find a decent grad job but unable to find one, so have to stick with this ****** job. Dunno whether been on benefits would be better- genuinely. Worked in this job 8 yrs and for the last four been miserable. I started at 16 now 25. Only job I've had. She always has one up on us, fed up man.

Also; I worry about getting a reference from my boss. Particularly a bad one. I'm not the worlds worst employee, but I've done some bad stuff, and nearly got the sack (gross misconduct), it's on my employment record for some time, which I thought was unfair. I know people that had done far worse and had a slap on wrist. Basically there was a lot of political power play, and favouritism and victimisation. I was frank about stuff online, they found out and dished out A written final letter. There is far much more I could say but I'd rather not, as it leaves a lot of be desired!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest