The Student Room Group

Shooting in Tel Aviv.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtofProtest
The ones that don't kill Palestinian civilians?

But it's ok for Palestinians to kill Israeli covilians?
Original post by MatureStudent36
But it's ok for Palestinians to kill Israeli covilians?

Do the Palestinians think of themselves, and boast about themselves being, "civilized"?
Do the Palestinians think of themselves, and boast about themselves being, "civilized"?

So you're saying it's ok for palestiniAns to target Israeli citizens?
So you're saying it's ok for palestiniAns to target Israeli citizens?

Murdering civilians is the trait of an uncivilized person and/or state. Something that Israel claims not to be, yet they seem eager to do just that.
Murdering civilians is the trait of an uncivilized person and/or state. Something that Israel claims not to be, yet they seem eager to do just that.

So you're saying it's ok for Palestinians to target Israeli civilians?
Original post by PPEmachine
That's just not a point. No one is questioning it is the Israeli weapons that are causing damage. The issue being debated is why they are causing an abnormally high amount of damage. And as argued in my previous post, it is to do with Hamas trying to maximise civilian casualties through storing weapons in schools, hospitals and mosques as well as forcing civilians into the line of fire. All for the purpose of winning the propaganda war, gaining more foreign aid (Gaza receives the most foreign aid per capita of any region in the world) which ends up in the hands of its bloodthirsty leaders sitting comfortably in Qatar.
If you're going to make poor points, can you at least make them relevant?

Hamas is not doing the killing, Israeli weapons are.

The fact that Israel may be getting played by Hamas is more fool Israel. Nowhere, in the history of warfare, does a superior force inflict heavy losses upon the victims, and then claim that it was the victim's fault.

Apologies for not fully clarifying my position. I think settlement expansion should be frozen, and thus it is implied it should not be encouraged or approved. Trying to make an argument for demolishing existing settlements is just pathetic, however. Whilst they should not have been built, one has to reluctantly accept they are there now in the knowledge that removing them would create far more problems than it would solve if peace is your end goal. Trying to make up for uprooting one set of people by uprooting another is not a sensible solution.

It is, if it would entail the original people being uprooted, would get their land back, the very thing that they are raising arms for.

Speaking of things that are interesting to note, though, it is striking that you haven't responded to my point about barriers to peace besides the settlements. Would it be possible for you to go through them one by one and explain how they detract from peace less than the settlements?

The Settlements are, in my opinion, the biggest obstacle to peace. Your other minor points (such as Abbas's refusal or reluctance to condemn) can in one form or another, be traced back to the illegal occupation of Palestinian land vis-a-vis illegal settlements.

So yes, I chose to focus on the most important issues and not the red herrings that you are trying to throw up to muddy the waters.

Yes, something that the Israeli State does not wish to engage in. The 2014 Gaza ground incursion doesn't mean anything to you? And believe it or not, it did not result in fewer deaths that the air strikes.

That's because the IDF only ventured in a couple of kilometers into Gaza and they found it brutal.

What was the kill ratio for Palestinian fighters? 1 Israeli civilian for every 10 soldiers killed?

However, as is the case with all states, their primary responsibility is the safety of their own citizens. Something I'm sure you'd expect of your government. So to expect the IDF to put Israeli lives at risk when there is no evidence it will save a substantial amount of lives on the other side is simply holding Israel to a double standard.

The safety of one's own citizens and their protection is independent of any action one's government takes to subdue hostile forces.

Israel is held to a higher standard, because as it likes to remind us time and time again, it is a democratic state with liberal values. It also regards itself as the "most moral" army in the world. One cannot quibble when those factors are examined under a microscope.

And I think I'll take Col Kemp's word for the IDF's morality above yours. You know, given his lifetime of military experience and vast knowledge of the conflict.

I'm not sure Col Kemp would be the best person to decide what is morally correct and what is not. Perhaps military strategy and/or plans for annihilating or toppling a regime with heavy firepower but morality, I don't think he's quite qualified to speak on the subject, but that doesn't mean that he is not entitled to air his own opinions.
So you're saying it's ok for Palestinians to target Israeli civilians?

I'm saying that Israel exemplifies uncivilized traits, contrary to it's assertions that it is a civilized state.

If the Palestinians choose to target Israeli civilians, then they should be regarded as uncivilized. However, I don't think they have made the claim that they are "civilized".
I'm saying that Israel exemplifies uncivilized traits, contrary to it's assertions that it is a civilized state.

If the Palestinians choose to target Israeli civilians, then they should be regarded as uncivilized. However, I don't think they have made the claim that they are "civilized".

So you're now saying that Palestinians are uncivilised?
So you're now saying that Palestinians are uncivilised?

In so far as they do not exemplify the traits of being civilized.

I believe someone (perhaps it was you?) made reference to them taking a **** inside holes in the ground, as opposed to having a bathroom.
In so far as they do not exemplify the traits of being civilized.

I believe someone (perhaps it was you?) made reference to them taking a **** inside holes in the ground, as opposed to having a bathroom.

I'm not defending, or offending any side.

Merely pointing out that if Palestinians wanted to reduce Palestinian casualties they'd stop firing unguided rockets into Israel in order to cause civilian casualties whilst setting up situations where they create civilian casualties on their own side.
I'm not defending, or offending any side.

You compared both sides, making points as to the civilized state of both people, referencing one as taking a crap in the streets and/or ground whilst the other used a functioning bathroom.

That was your measure of what constitutes "civilized".

Merely pointing out that if Palestinians wanted to reduce Palestinian casualties they'd stop firing unguided rockets into Israel in order to cause civilian casualties whilst setting up situations where they create civilian casualties on their own side.

A redundant and frankly, quite a stupid point.

"If there were no Israeli's in the Levant, there would be no Israeli casualties".

^See, an equally redundant point have I made.
You compared both sides, making points as to the civilized state of both people, referencing one as taking a crap in the streets and/or ground whilst the other used a functioning bathroom.

That was your measure of what constitutes "civilized".

A redundant and frankly, quite a stupid point.

"If there were no Israeli's in the Levant, there would be no Israeli casualties".

^See, an equally redundant point have I made.

So you're now saying that a country shouldn't exist?
So you're now saying that a country shouldn't exist?

I'm asserting that your points are both redundant and foolish.

Honestly, thinking people are civilized if they **** in bathrooms and massacre civilians.
I'm asserting that your points are both redundant and foolish.

Honestly, thinking people are civilized if they **** in bathrooms and massacre civilians.

I actually think the Palestinians are uncivilised for other reasons.

Thy are quite happy to let their own civilians get killed for propoganda purposes.

The crapping in a hole is prevelant through the whole of the ME.

Here's an interesting article for you to read though.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/why-the-arabic-world-turned-away-from-science
I actually think the Palestinians are uncivilised for other reasons.

Thy are quite happy to let their own civilians get killed for propoganda purposes.

The crapping in a hole is prevelant through the whole of the ME.

Here's an interesting article for you to read though.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/why-the-arabic-world-turned-away-from-science

Indeed, it is a very interesting article but I feel as though it is viewing the situation through a biased prism, and making assumptions which are irrelevant, as well as promoting a certain view, although touched upon, does not explore it realistically or holistically.
Indeed, it is a very interesting article but I feel as though it is viewing the situation through a biased prism, and making assumptions which are irrelevant, as well as promoting a certain view, although touched upon, does not explore it realistically or holistically.

That sounds like a complete non answer.

So you're quite happy for certain country's not to exist?
(edited 8 years ago)
That sounds like a complete non answer.

You expected me to take that article as gospel?

So you're quite happy for certain country's not to exist?

It's not about how many countries exist, but the path, direction and policy that they implement, which I concern myself with.
My thoughts and wishes are with Israel, they still stand strong even when those around them despise them out of spite
You expected me to take that article as gospel?

It's not about how many countries exist, but the path, direction and policy that they implement, which I concern myself with.

So should Israel not defend itself?
Original post by Gears265
My thoughts and wishes are with Israel, they still stand strong even when those around them despise them out of spite

Ironic how you stand with Israel (a nation that consists of many immigrants) whilst deploring any migrants and refugees that seek to establish their life in this country.

I think we would term that double standards, as I'm sure that @Lady Comstock would attest to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending