The Student Room Group

How to answer this question?

"Two lines sketched have equations y=√2x + 9 and y=10-x. Find the co-ordinates of the point of intersection."
I've already tried setting them equal to each other and solving them simultaneously but i cant get the right answer, does anyone know how to get to it?
do you mean √2x as in 2x\sqrt{2x} or 2\sqrt{2}xx
Original post by selenacxoxo
"Two lines sketched have equations y=√2x + 9 and y=10-x. Find the co-ordinates of the point of intersection."
I've already tried setting them equal to each other and solving them simultaneously but i cant get the right answer, does anyone know how to get to it?

Is that 2x\sqrt {2x}?

If so, after setting them equal, could you think of a substitution that would turn it into a quadratic equation?
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
do you mean √2x as in 2x\sqrt{2x} or 2\sqrt{2}xx

yeah its the second one, the x isnt under the square root
yeah its the second one, the x isnt under the square root

After setting them equal you should be getting x as a fraction where the denominator is a surd, do you remember how to rationalise denominators?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Is that 2x\sqrt {2x}?

If so, after setting them equal, could you think of a substitution that would turn it into a quadratic equation?

I've already got the quadratic equation and attempted to work out an answer but its not the same as the answer the book says I should get
Reply 6
After setting them equal you should be getting x as a fraction where the denominator is a surd, do you remember how to rationalise denominators?

Wouldn't you square both sides of the equation after setting them equal? How would I get x as a fraction?
Wouldn't you square both sides of the equation after setting them equal? How would I get x as a fraction?

Nope, you don't square both sides. You have √2x + 9 = 10 - x, you should know how to make x the subject of the formula by now
Reply 8
Nope, you don't square both sides. You have √2x + 9 = 10 - x, you should know how to make x the subject of the formula by now

Ohhhh I see now, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest