The Student Room Group

EPQ

I'm about to begin typing my EPQ but have no idea on how to lay it out or even start it :frown: I want to go into Civil Engineering and have chosen a related subject area to write about; my title is 'Properties of Steels and Other Alloys.' If anyone has any guidance that I could use it would be brilliant!
Original post by _Giz
I'm about to begin typing my EPQ but have no idea on how to lay it out or even start it :frown: I want to go into Civil Engineering and have chosen a related subject area to write about; my title is 'Properties of Steels and Other Alloys.' If anyone has any guidance that I could use it would be brilliant!

Hello, I did an EPQ myself and got an A, so hopefully I can help here.

The only issue I can see with your current title is that it seems like your EPQ can only be descriptive if you use it. Ideally, your EPQ title should be in the form of a question, so that you can write arguments for and against it in the essay, and then arrive at an answer in the conclusion. Perhaps you could evaluate the properties of steels and other alloys to see which would be best for a particular use, or something along those lines? I don't know much about civil engineering I'm afraid, so I'm sorry if that's a little vague :redface:

I assume you'll be doing the 5000 word essay with the AQA exam board. Here are some pointers on how to lay everything out:

The essay

1. Introduction (bear in mind that the introduction is often easier to write at the end of the project)

Start by introducing your question, for example: “The question I am researching is '...', then explain the aim of your project, i.e. what you plan to find out. Also mention what sources of information you will use, and how your essay is going to be structured.

2. Main essay

Here you should discuss all of the main points and arguments which will help to answer your question. This should be the bulk of your essay; remember to use paragraphs and reference any quotes you use so that the examiner can refer to them in the bibliography.

3. Conclusion

In the conclusion you should briefly discuss the most significant points/arguments again and come to a conclusion which answers your original title question.

4. Bibliography

The bibliography should include sources for all images and quotes you use in your essay. Keep a note of the date when you found each source as well and add them in square brackets after each source. If I remember correctly, you need at least three different types of sources of information, for example a book, a website and a TV programme you get marks specifically for doing this. Remember to keep the bibliography separate from your EPQ essay.

The presentation

When you have completed your essay, you’ll need to give a short 10-15 minute presentation on your EPQ topic. The presentation should have slides dedicated to the following: why you chose to do an EPQ, why you chose your specific title, sources of information you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any problems you encountered during the project, benefits of doing an EPQ, what you would do differently if you did the project again, and whether you would recommend doing an EPQ to others. There must also be opportunity for the audience to ask questions, either during the presentation or at the end.

The Log Book

As well as the essay, you’ll also need to complete a Log Book (I think it’s also sometimes called a Production Log) - remember to fill it in thoroughly because this is the part which gets you most of the marks. You fill in the Log Book at various stages during your EPQ, at the start, middle and end of the project. Inside the Log Book there is guidance on what to include, but I found it very vague, so basically at each stage you’ll write about 1) what has gone well and what has gone badly, 2) any changes you have made to the project e.g. the title, structure etc, 3) what you plan to do next, and 4) any recommendations from your EPQ mentor/supervisor. You also need to write about your presentation, but again, the Log Book will have instructions on what you need to include.

At the end of the Log Book there is a section titled ‘Reflection’. Don’t be tempted to skimp on this section, as it’s worth A LOT of marks they give you an entire page of answer space for a reason!

I hope this gives you a better idea of what to do, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask (in this thread or a private message) :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much! This is great help! I appreciate it:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
hey are you doing as or a2?
Reply 4
I'm doing AS
When did you sign up to do it? My school hasn't even registered us yet for it :O
Reply 6
I'm not registered yet, the entries are this month as far as I'm aware so don't worry:smile: they'll inform you
Reply 7
I've just read the above post. Are the entries for the EPQ due in this month for completion this autumn?

We are going to have no formal teaching at the school I attend and so far no-one as even brought it up. I believe that it would be the AQA spec

Thanks
Reply 8
We have no teaching in the school in at either but as far as I'm aware they're for the submission in August because mines due in this summer, so yeah I'd presume so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Someone messaged me that the EPQ is compulsory at their school whereas I am virtually having to ask to take it to assist me getting into med school. I bought the AQA student companion guide, are you using any other resources that I can check out ?
Reply 10
I'm basically in the same position, umm I'm just surfing the Internet atm for any slideshares or example essays. I'm finding quite useful information so you could try that? If I find anything I'll send you the links :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you do EPQ in A2 or can you do it at AS?
and if you want to do medicine you would do it sciency right?
Reply 12
Well it's worth half an A Level so you do it as AS. You might be able to do it at A2 but like I said, it'll only be worth half a qualification. And if you want to go into medicine then yes I'd suggest you choose something science related - my friend wants to go into pharmacology and her EPQ is about cancer, maybe along those lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I want to do my EPQ on physiotherapy and I'm think about this for my title:
What devices do physiotherapists use to treat cystic fibrosis and which is the most effective?
Would this be a good title for EPQ?
Reply 14
Yeah that should be fine, as long as you show the examiner that you know what you're researching and you provide enough background information followed by a detailed essay, then the title should be suitable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest