The Student Room Group

Feeling guilty about quitting job

So I'm planning on handing in my notice at my part time job on Monday. This is for a multitude of reasons. It's a four mile drive away across the city, which can take me close to an hour in bad traffic and also means that I can't work weeknights, which would work far better for me than weekends because of having uni in the day. Plus I'm delivering pizzas, on my own to pretty rough areas of my city and I don't really feel safe doing that. I've got a shift on Sunday, my first after a break for Christmas and the thought of going back is really making me feel miserable.

Thing is, I still feel really bad about quitting because my boss is an incredibly nice guy, and I feel like I'm just going to drop this on him out of the blue. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I've never mentioned it to him. He's been really cool about letting me take time off to go do various weekends away with the clubs I'm part of. So basically I feel like I'm pulling a major dick move by up and quitting like this but I feel like it's the best thing for me personally.

Honestly I'm not really sure what response I'm looking for here, before anyone says it. Think I just needed to unload, and if anyone wants to weigh in on my situation, offer reassurance or tell me I'm being a prat, that would be grand.
Original post by Stripes23
So I'm planning on handing in my notice at my part time job on Monday. This is for a multitude of reasons. It's a four mile drive away across the city, which can take me close to an hour in bad traffic and also means that I can't work weeknights, which would work far better for me than weekends because of having uni in the day. Plus I'm delivering pizzas, on my own to pretty rough areas of my city and I don't really feel safe doing that. I've got a shift on Sunday, my first after a break for Christmas and the thought of going back is really making me feel miserable.

Thing is, I still feel really bad about quitting because my boss is an incredibly nice guy, and I feel like I'm just going to drop this on him out of the blue. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I've never mentioned it to him. He's been really cool about letting me take time off to go do various weekends away with the clubs I'm part of. So basically I feel like I'm pulling a major dick move by up and quitting like this but I feel like it's the best thing for me personally.

Honestly I'm not really sure what response I'm looking for here, before anyone says it. Think I just needed to unload, and if anyone wants to weigh in on my situation, offer reassurance or tell me I'm being a prat, that would be grand.

This may sound harsh but unless you have worked there a really long time and have a really good relationship with this guy, I doubt he will care. You're just another employee. Do what is best for yourself
Never, ever feel guilty about quitting a job.
If they went bust, they wouldn't be crying over you (companies in general).
Life is about progression, no one is expected to do the same job forever.

Plus you work in fast food (I have done so also) nothing wrong with it and many stay forever. But they expect some people to come and go.

If you need to leave then inform him and take it from there :smile:

All the best!
Don't feel guilty about quitting, providing you work your notice. Work is meant to be mutually beneficial so if it isn't working for you that isn't your fault. Just let your manager know you've really enjoyed working for them and are sorry to be leaving but it just isn't working out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending