The Student Room Group

Lookin to the future

I was just wondering wether anyone knows what the future will be for doctors, i.e. will they be in demand etc + is it worth the 5 years and the cost of uni

I am only in year 11 but i want to know which career to go towards and i am slightly confused. I know a person who is now 28 and a gp and is on about 90k, which made me really want to become a doctor but then i have heard about loads of job cuts in NHS ......

Oh, and btw are doctors in demand in other countries i.e. if it all goes downhill in da UK and i emigrate to another country say USA or australia or dubai will i still get paid as much.

Lol dnt get me wrong i would love to be able to help people and i know what it feels like to see loved ones suffer which is why i would like to become a doctor, but obviously at this stage one of my main concerns is money lol. Please do not give me a lecture on morals ........:biggrin: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

third_addy
I was just wondering wether anyone knows what the future will be for doctors, i.e. will they be in demand etc + is it worth the 5 years and the cost of uni

I am only in year 11 but i want to know which career to go towards and i am slightly confused. I know a person who is now 28 and a gp and is on about 90k, which made me really want to become a doctor but then i have heard about loads of job cuts in NHS ......

Oh, and btw are doctors in demand in other countries i.e. if it all goes downhill in da UK and i emigrate to another country say USA or australia or dubai will i still get paid as much.

Lol dnt get me wrong i would love to be able to help people and i know what it feels like to see loved ones suffer which is why i would like to become a doctor, but obviously at this stage one of my main concerns is money lol. Please do not give me a lecture on morals ........:biggrin: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

well id love to comment , on another thread i said docs pays was gonna suffer and i got bad rep for it .
iuf i do say something im probabz gonna get even more bad rep , as u can see i seem to be a very offensive and rude indiviual.
Reply 2
PM me ur comment plz:biggrin:
Reply 3
haha what did you get bad repped for? is it the one where you said something about not liking the fact drs aren't gon get good pay? i was thinkin 'uh oh' when i read that too :p: :biggrin:
To the OP - if you had said simply that you were worried about not getting a job when you graduate, then I'd be a little more sympathetic. But you seem to be concerned more with getting paid your 90k (whether in England, America or Dubai) than helping people or having a career you're passionate about. You say that one of the "obvious" concerns of anyone in your position is money but I totally disagree. Job cuts and the EWTD mean medicine is no longer the lucrative earner that it once was, particularly at the training stages. You're hardly guaranteed even a job anymore. Money is the last thing on the mind of most decent medical applicants.

I think you need to rethink your motives for medicine....or just go into IB.
Reply 5
well i was more thinkin abwt how i was goin to pay off the huge student debt i would have but im sorry if i have hit a nerve:frown:

btw wats IB
rozzy
haha what did you get bad repped for? is it the one where you said something about not liking the fact drs aren't gon get good pay? i was thinkin 'uh oh' when i read that too :p: :biggrin:

i said that 'docs pay might suffer :frown: ' with the max of 48 hr weeks becoz or ewtd. i was only giving my opinion, wheres the crime in that ?
Reply 7
While I do strongly believe that nobody should go into medicine just for the money, I also think that it isnt too unreasonable to research career prospects and pay. True money shouldnt be the main concern, but no harm in it being a concern.
OP, you can't come on a forum where the majority of people want to be doctor's for 'proper' reasons i.e wanting to work with people and using science, etc, and pretty much say that you want to do it for the money. We're all concerned about student debt, but realistically everyone, even media studies students, will pay it off without huge problems. Its the lowest interest loan you're ever gonna get.

Lawyers make lots of money. Investment bankers make a fortune (and they help other people make fortunes - see? helping people). Teachers make a fair amount once you get into middle management and thats helping people too.

Go into whatever career you want and earn your millions, but please don't go into it for the money. You have to do it because you want to. Once you graduate, you've got a good 40 working years ahead of you. You may be earning 90K, but you aren't going to be happy doing a stressful, challenging job like being a doctor if you don't go into it for the right reasons.
third_addy
well i was more thinkin abwt how i was goin to pay off the huge student debt i would have but im sorry if i have hit a nerve:frown:

btw wats IB

International banking.

Everyone has to pay off the debt. It's a crazy amount of money and pretty scary from this side of it (and possibly even scarier from the other!) but it's important to remember that it's paid off at a rate that's independent of the size of the student loans (not true for commercial ones though) and dependent on your income. So a junior doctor on 20k (which might even be quite ambitious when the ETWD comes into play) will be paying off a lot less than a GP on 90k. And the government has pledged to write it off after 25 years if I remember correctly?
Reply 10
oh and btw if u are a PS helper then can u tell me the best workex/voluntary work places i can go to for medicine. My skool does work experience in year 11 so this summer ive got a placement at a health centre but its only receptionist work they wont let me shadow a doctor for confidentiality reasons unless im over 17 or sutn and i also got a placement at a dentle place, both for one week. i chose a dentist place cos im not sure which one to choose between medicine or dentistry. Also ctrary to wat ppl are sayn i want to go in the direction of one of these two careers as one i believe that I will have a job which gives me a lifelong skill and in any situation a doctor is handy. Also i would like to work in a third world country after uni but to be honest i would like to jak it all in after abwt 20 years of hard work and saving like a b**h and go into business or sutn. I dnt wanna go into business strate away as i will have no experience money etc.... and plus i will probably start off working for someone else at th start and if i get sacked for sum reason then, well, i dnt think that jobs in finance are readily available. Also (lol) anybody can get into finance, i know people who did a chem degree and went into finance bcoz they couldnt find a job relating to chem.

Neeeeeewayz thanx for readin plz help, comment, crictice, giv ur opinion.....

Thanx
Reply 11
Money is the last thing on the mind of most decent medical applicants.

I am sorry but I really disagree with this, money is something that should very much be on the mind of a "decent medical applicant" not necessarily because they want to make load of money out of a medical career but because of the current reforms the fact that it is a long course and the job prospects at the the end aren't what they once were. It would be irresponsible in my oppinon not to have at least considered whether it is going to be financially doable. I have loads of friends who are having to take a professional studies loads etc so money unfortunately doesn't play a big part in it.
Sorry, randdom - I'll rephrase. I meant more than money isn't really one of the reasons one would want to do medicine (or it shouldn't be at least). You shouldn't really be thinking "I'll take it because I want the flash car and the 90k a year" You should be doing it because you have a passion for it and wish to help people.

But of course it's important to take into account the cost of the degree (scary!) and the feasibility of it financially.
Reply 13
Also if this new 48 hour scheme does happen then does it not bak my view up even more.

Nehoo could some people give me an honest opinion looking at medicine froma a financial perspective because at the moment im getting the vibes that many people are trying to hide away from this aspect please correct me if i am wrong. Also could someone give me a comparison in terms of the financial side between medicine and dentistry

Thank uuuu
Well dentistry seems to be a gold mine at the moment with too few dentists and many of them going private (like my old one...grrr) So from my perception, dentistry is a lot more lucrative than medicine, but I couldn't attach any figures or stats onto that.

All of the GPs I know are comfortable but not what you'd call wealthy. But then again, the pay over here is less than in England so there are few GPs on 90k a year! My mate's mum and dad are consultant anaesthetists and they're well-off, but I imagine they are wealthy due to the combined income of two comfortable doctor's wages rather than their separate ones being incredibly substantial.
Reply 15
if you want to be earning that amount of money, then go into dentistry...much more likely to be earning 90K +. the average for a dr isn't even near that i dont think. news on gps gettin an average of 100k isn't all necessarily true, yeah some of them do get that much but not all of them. and by the way things are going, they're gonna start capping their pay.

anyhoo, not much point gettin all high and moral about money issues and medicine... lots of applicants consider money factor to be one of the main points in deciding to study medicine, not because they think it's a gold mine but the assurance of being in a stable job (thats very debatable now though lol) and at least some what financially stable...compared to alot of jobs out there. definitely no harm there, i'm sure we've all thought about our future plans etc.

if finance is the most important factor out of everything for you though, and paying back the loans, then i'd definitely consider something along the lines of business..way to make money! or law...or dentistry, or plumbing! they're actually very loaded!
I agree with rozzy...I think the OP just doesn't present a balance when explaining his reasons from doing medicine...seems like theres lots of will I be in demand/is it financially worth it compared to actually wanting to help people.

or dubai

Only recruiting consultant grade and above generally, with a minimum of a FRCP/FRCS...looking a while down the line there :wink:
third_addy
to be honest i would like to jak it all in after abwt 20 years of hard work and saving like a b**h and go into business or sutn.

Your steadfast dedication and determination to become a doctor really does come across well. If you dont deserve a place, I dont know who does.
Go do business then? Honestly, it sounds ****ty slogging through five years of med school, two years of foundation, oodles of years until your a consultant if you dont want to make it a career. And the pays not that great either, at least to start with!

Go do Economics at a good uni, then go work for a bank, then get some experience in management and start your own business. You might be happier doing that.
The more you say, Mr OP, the more I strongly dislike you. You come across as an arrogant prick who's just after the money. I would seriously worry if your type came to represent the typical medical school applicant.

Latest

Trending

Trending