The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Will I get bored at Exeter Uni?

Wanted to know whether there is enough to keep me preoccupied during my free time at uni! Not into sport that much, so not that bothered about that side of things.. I assume there would be more to do should I go to southampton or birmingham? FYI taking maths :smile:
Original post by clarklouis_
Wanted to know whether there is enough to keep me preoccupied during my free time at uni! Not into sport that much, so not that bothered about that side of things.. I assume there would be more to do should I go to southampton or birmingham? FYI taking maths :smile:

My son studied Maths there. Just a warning that took most of his time up and probably will in most unis. We were told something similar by a student at an open day at another university. Obviously the other cities are much bigger cities so there would be more choice of nightlife and shops etc although Exeter as a city is nice with most major stores and the university itself offers various societies as do others and has a student pub and nightclub in addition to the ones in the city. In the end only you can decide and it might be worth attending a post application visit day and spend some time looking around the university and the city.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
The city offers plenty of things to do
(edited 8 years ago)
Definitely not! I'm in my second year studying maths and I absolutely love it here. There is always something to do in Exeter - it's small enough to bump into people you know but still big enough so there is always something new to discover! Sure it may not be as big as some cities but there is a great selection of pubs, restaurants, night clubs and things to do. There are 11 clubs in Exeter the majority of them are really good fun especially since they are very student orientated!

About maths I love the course here. In my first year the course wasn't too intense, they give you a taste of all the areas of maths such as group theory, Newtonian Mechanics, computing etc. In your second year onwards you are allowed to take two "elective" credits outside of maths (I chose to take astrophysics and optics - some people I know have taken subjects ranging from Economics to Philosophy)!

If you'd like to know more about the course or university feel free to ask!
Reply 4
Original post by Samyoh
Definitely not! I'm in my second year studying maths and I absolutely love it here. There is always something to do in Exeter - it's small enough to bump into people you know but still big enough so there is always something new to discover! Sure it may not be as big as some cities but there is a great selection of pubs, restaurants, night clubs and things to do. There are 11 clubs in Exeter the majority of them are really good fun especially since they are very student orientated!

About maths I love the course here. In my first year the course wasn't too intense, they give you a taste of all the areas of maths such as group theory, Newtonian Mechanics, computing etc. In your second year onwards you are allowed to take two "elective" credits outside of maths (I chose to take astrophysics and optics - some people I know have taken subjects ranging from Economics to Philosophy)!

I've heard there's a lot of private school students who look down on state school students.. is this true? or do people generally not care and everyone gets along?
Original post by clarklouis_

Exeter has plenty of things to do - better than Southampton [not a very nice city] or Birmingham [campus out of the city].

Reputation-wise for Maths it's way better too.
Original post by Pocapoca
I've heard there's a lot of private school students who look down on state school students.. is this true? or do people generally not care and everyone gets along?

No-one cares about which school you went to once you are at uni there.

It's not like Oxbridge or Durham.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
No-one cares about which school you went to once you are at uni there.

It's not like Oxbridge or Durham.

Oh i see, is the nightlife good?
Original post by Pocapoca
Oh i see, is the nightlife good?

Events on campus and clubs in town - ask current students where the best places are these days.
Reply 9
There are definitely more exciting cities for a student to live in. You will certainly have more to do in a city like Edinburgh, Bristol or Brighton.

It just depends on the people you meet. Exeter is still a nice city and if you make good friends it won't be a problem.
Reply 10
Original post by Samyoh

Hi! I have applied to study maths next year and my top two are probably exeter and southampton. I was wondering if you could tell me about the maths department? At Soton i was really impressed with their new 'maths support centre' which looked great for support and social things too. Is there anything like this at Exeter?
Also do you find the maths staff are approachable if you have any issues?
Im not sure if ill be able to attend an applicant day so any other selling points would be much appreciated 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending