The Student Room Group

Leftists confirmed as mentally challenged by scientific study

The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology recently carried out a test in which they asked people to identify a shape.

The shape was what I would call an irregular ellipse, a sort of vaguely oval outline, except quite inconsistent in its circumference.

The researchers discovered that people who said the shape was ‘a circle’ were more likely to be liberals. People who correctly identified the shape as definitely not a circle, but something else altogether, were more likely to be possessed of conservative political views.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/the-political-wisdom-of-people-who-dont-even-know-what-a-circle-is/

Scroll to see replies

Actually the only "perfect circles" are the ones that exist in our heads when we imagine abstract mathematics.

Maybe liberals understand that a drawn circle can never be a true circle and instead go along with the very day "near enough" usage of the word. They acknowledge that everything is an approximation. Conservatives are too dogmatic and stupid to realize this with their fascist demands reality meet their expectations :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
that's quite clearly a circle though? :////
Of course!!

Oh you didn't have to go into the troubles of a scientific study to know that. I would have told you if you asked xd
Reply 4
Original post by Nephthys
The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology recently carried out a test in which they asked people to identify a shape.

The shape was what I would call an irregular ellipse, a sort of vaguely oval outline, except quite inconsistent in its circumference.

The researchers discovered that people who said the shape was ‘a circle’ were more likely to be liberals. People who correctly identified the shape as definitely not a circle, but something else altogether, were more likely to be possessed of conservative political views.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/the-political-wisdom-of-people-who-dont-even-know-what-a-circle-is/

It looks a bit like a circle drawn by a small child. It's not a perfect circle, but it's recognisable as a round shape. Maybe Liberally minded people are also likely to be more laid back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
*raises hand* Err~ Sensei
Most intelligent souls in here are getting confused with leftists and lefties?

:s-smilie:
Lefties are more stupid...? Sky is blue.
Capitalism baby :afro:
Reply 8
Original post by defenestrated
that's quite clearly a circle though? :////

No it isn't, smh
Original post by Gears265
No it isn't, smh

but it's all like.....round....
:rofl: How ridiculous

The problem is lefties are more likely to do non-STEM related subjects like Art, history, sociology, humanities and so on. So the disciplines that tie in with mathematics are not exactly their forte
Science for simpletons. Then again, the charge is accurate.

This is basic A-level mathematics touched on more in further mathematics. Did you do either of these two?
Reply 14

study confirmed ITT
Original post by Gears265
This is basic A-level mathematics touched on more in further mathematics. Did you do either of these two?

both, and i've received offers for a degree in mathematics.......but if i ever did see a circle.....that is one
study confirmed ITT

always happy to help with science:smile:
What the paper actually said....

We propose that political differences in social policy support may be partly driven by the tendency for conservatives to show greater sensitivity to deviance than liberals, even among targets lacking social or functional relevance. In 3 studies, participants were shown geometric figures and were asked to identify the extent to which they were “triangles” (or circles, squares, etc.). More conservative participants reported greater differentiation between perfect and imperfect shapes than more liberal participants, indicating greater sensitivity to deviance. Moreover, shape differentiation partly accounted for the relationship between political ideology and social policy, partially mediating the link between conservatism and harsher punishment of wrongdoers (Studies 1 and 4), less support for public aid for disadvantaged groups (Study 2), and less financial backing for policies that benefit marginalized groups in society (Study 3). This effect was specific to policies that targeted deviant groups (Study 3) and who were not too highly deviant (Study 4). Results suggest that, in addition to commonly cited affective and motivational reactions to deviant actors, political differences in social policy may also be driven by conservatives’ greater cognitive propensity to distinguish deviance.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&uid=2015-51331-001

It says nothing about them being mentally challenged. As for the actual study, like a lot of research into social psychology/personality, it is something I would take with a pinch of salt. Take a relatively small number of participants, find a correlation, build a grand theory around it, filter it through conventional media, let the likes of Rod Liddle have his say and watch people uncritically lap it up.

It doesn't so much say anything about the left or right, but scientific illiteracy of the nation.
both, and i've received offers for a degree in mathematics.......but if i ever did see a circle.....that is one

Yeh right. If Edexcel, I don't remember the chapters as it was 3/4 years ago but I'm sure it's FP3, chapter 2 I think. All I know is, the page format was orange and it talks about ellipses verging on to the realm of circle geometry. It may even be chapter 3 or 4 but it was a long time ago. Heck hyperbolic geometry and curves would answer it for you.
Whoever wrote this article is an idiot. The study was trying to show people who said it was "close enough to a circle" were more likely to be liberal and those who said it was definitely not a circle where more likely to be conservative. Nothing in the study mentioned intelligence or any group being mentally challenged, biased article by a clearly conservatve author. Try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending