The Student Room Group

Ccea history a2

Hi! I was just wondering if there is anyone else that is currently doing their A2 History modules through CCEA? If so what modules are you taking?
For A2 paper 1 I'm doing Clash of Ideologies and paper 2 the partition of Ireland 1900-25.
If anyone could share any tips especially for learning interpretations I'd be very grateful as at this stage it's looking like I'm definitely failing in May!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by clairemcvicker24
Hi! I was just wondering if there is anyone else that is currently doing their A2 History modules through CCEA? If so what modules are you taking?
For A2 paper 1 I'm doing Clash of Ideologies and paper 2 the partition of Ireland 1900-25.
If anyone could share any tips especially for learning interpretations I'd be very grateful as at this stage it's looking like I'm definitely fail

Hi :smile: I'm also doing A2 CCEA history, same partition of Ireland module but I'm doing nationalism and unionism in ireland 1800-1900 for my other module. I've found the best to learn quotes is to simply make a list of all the quotes either written or typed under their topic areas. I'd try to condense a module into no more the 2 2-sided pages then learn them separate from the general history knowledge itself (but write what the quotes are referring to so ur not just throwing them in at random parts e.g. : "Adelman decribed the penny rent as, "a master stroke of policy." not just "master stroke of policy" - Adelman ) This is really important cause I wrote down some quotes and authors but had no idea what they were referring too :s-smilie:. Hope this helps:smile: Oh and I was wondering how you tackle the 15 mark source question in Partition of Ireland paper? Like we use DAMMACTO but I have no idea how to structure it :unimpressed:
[QUOTE="Flandogz;62480491"]
If anyone could share any tips especially for learning interpretations I'd be very grateful as at this stage it's looking like I'm definitely fail

Hi :smile: I'm also doing A2 CCEA history, same partition of Ireland module but I'm doing nationalism and unionism in ireland 1800-1900 for my other module. I've found the best to learn quotes is to simply make a list of all the quotes either written or typed under their topic areas. I'd try to condense a module into no more the 2 2-sided pages then learn them separate from the general history knowledge itself (but write what the quotes are referring to so ur not just throwing them in at random parts e.g. : "Adelman decribed the penny rent as, "a master stroke of policy." not just "master stroke of policy" - Adelman ) This is really important cause I wrote down some quotes and authors but had no idea what they were referring too :s-smilie:. Hope this helps:smile: Oh and I was wondering how you tackle the 15 mark source question in Partition of Ireland paper? Like we use DAMMACTO but I have no idea how to structure it :unimpressed:

I struggle with that too! What does DAMMACTO stand for?? we just use DAMMIT..
Reply 3
What are your predictions for the Clash of Ideologies module? Do you think it could be Economy?
Reply 4
[QUOTE=kingofacademics;62843051][QUOTE=Flandogz;62480491]

I struggle with that too! What does DAMMACTO stand for?? we just use DAMMIT..

Date author mode motive audience content tone omissions I use DAMMAT too though they are practically the same 😀
I'm doing nationalism 1800-1900 and Partition of Ireland as my two modules. I'm finding the Partition of Ireland module a lot more difficult, there just seems to be a lot more content and it's not as easy to remember as the nationalism module. Yes historians opinions! I'm finding these really difficult to learn, my teacher said more so for the Partition of Ireland module that if you just learn historians names and know roughly what their views are we should be fine, you don't need to know word for word quotations. How do you find the timing of the papers? It's the part that really throws me off.
Reply 6
[QUOTE=haannahbee;63390117]I'm doing nationalism 1800-1900 and Partition of Ireland as my two modules. I'm finding the Partition of Ireland module a lot more difficult, there just seems to be a lot more content and it's not as easy to remember as the nationalism module. Yes historians opinions! I'm finding these really difficult to learn, my teacher said more so for the Partition of Ireland module that if you just learn historians names and know roughly what their views are we should be fine, you don't need to know word for word quotations. How do you find the timing of the papers? It's the part that really throws me off.

Yeah the timing is theworst part for me too because I can write only max 4 pages in an hour. I think I'll learn an Easter rising and home rule essay for that second module so if an essay does come up I can do it first so I can spend more time on the sources.
I'm currently doing Clash of Idelogies and Partition of Ireland 1900-1925 also, don't suppose you have been given any predictions? I am struggling with the workload at the moment.
Reply 8
Original post by mcgaimee16
I'm currently doing Clash of Idelogies and Partition of Ireland 1900-1925 also, don't suppose you have been given any predictions? I am struggling with the workload at the moment.

The one thing I'll say is that for partition of Ireland, 1916 Easter rising causes looks very likely. Hasn't come up in a few years and this year is 100th anniversary so plenty of "sources" in newspapers etc will be available for them to use.
Reply 9
I did Nationalism in Ireland 1800-1900 and Partition in Ireland 1900-1925 last year so if you need any help, just @ me or drop me a PM. :h:
[QUOTE=Airmed;63568609]I did Nationalism in Ireland 1800-1900 and Partition in Ireland 1900-1925 last year so if you need any help, just @ me or drop me a PM. :h:

Any tips on writing faster 😃😃?? I was thinking of maybe learning essays for Ireland 1800-1900 but that ain't my style and seems like too much effort. My problem is that I could write 20 pages on O'Connell alone and a hundred quotes but the timing is awful😖
Reply 11
Original post by Flandogz
Any tips on writing faster 😃😃?? I was thinking of maybe learning essays for Ireland 1800-1900 but that ain't my style and seems like too much effort. My problem is that I could write 20 pages on O'Connell alone and a hundred quotes but the timing is awful😖

Don't learn off essays. There's absolutely no point when sometimes the question will ask for all 3 strands of nationalism or sometimes just 2.

The trick is to really answer the question. If the question asks if the Church's support was necessary, you focus on that. Time is tight, god, my hand was killing me after that exam. You shouldn't go into detail about all of what O'Connell did, for example. You have to summarise, getting in the key points that are relevant to the question.

:laugh: You don't need 100 quotes. If you have around 30 you'll be doing well. I can't remember how much marks you get for quotes. Learn your favourite ones, the ones that stick.
[QUOTE=Airmed;63568993]Don't learn off essays. There's absolutely no point when sometimes the question will ask for all 3 strands of nationalism or sometimes just 2.

The trick is to really answer the question. If the question asks if the Church's support was necessary, you focus on that. Time is tight, god, my hand was killing me after that exam. You shouldn't go into detail about all of what O'Connell did, for example. You have to summarise, getting in the key points that are relevant to the question.

:laugh: You don't need 100 quotes. If you have around 30 you'll be doing well. I can't remember how much marks you get for quotes. Learn your favourite ones, the ones that stick.

Thanks for the helpful advice!🙂. Yeah I think focusing on the question is the most important thing cause I always give too much irrelevant stuff I think😖. Also, how much time did you leave for source questions/ how much did you write in the 1900-25 partition paper? I find the sources the most difficult part of history this year.
Reply 13
Original post by Flandogz
Thanks for the helpful advice!🙂. Yeah I think focusing on the question is the most important thing cause I always give too much irrelevant stuff I think😖. Also, how much time did you leave for source questions/ how much did you write in the 1900-25 partition paper? I find the sources the most difficult part of history this year.

Did you not hear about our source question? It was N.Ireland after partition. So many people were screwed. I did it first because I actually learnt NI. My handwriting is ridiculous, so small, so I wrote a page for each question. That's like 2 pages at least in normal writing. I must have done it well. I got an A* in that paper.
Hi!
Have you any tips on timing for the Partition module? I tend to over write for question 1A which leaves me very short in time for Question 1B.
Also did your school tell you it was compulsory to incorporate interpretations into Question 1B as I've heard of many school's who don't but my teacher told me I had to but do you know if it would be of much value in the actual exam?
Thank you!
Reply 15
Doing the nationalism 1800-1900 and partition this year and finding nationalism 1800-1900 vvv hard, purely because I have no idea how to structure my answer and have no idea how I will be able to do the essay in an hour! Stressing out so much right now cos am only starting to write my notes but have no idea how to structure them, if anyone has any tips or advice or whatever I would really appreciate it!
Reply 16
Hi!
Have you any tips on timing for the Partition module? I tend to over write for question 1A which leaves me very short in time for Question 1B.
Also did your school tell you it was compulsory to incorporate interpretations into Question 1B as I've heard of many school's who don't but my teacher told me I had to but do you know if it would be of much value in the actual exam?
Thank you!

Timing really comes down to practice, I'm afraid. Though if you're really struggling, you can always practice trying to answer 1A in 20-25 minutes.

Interpretations are not necessarily needed, I don't think I had any.
Hey I am doing Unionism 1800-1900 and Partition of Ireland! Anyone else?
Also help!!!
1.How do you learn all the historiography
2. My teacher takes a guess at what she THINKS is going to be asked, tells us to write an essay and then moves on from the topic. WHAT DO WE ACTUALLY NEED TO KNOW FOR PARTITION
Reply 18
Original post by Naomi 2709
Hey I am doing Unionism 1800-1900 and Partition of Ireland! Anyone else?
Also help!!!
1.How do you learn all the historiography
2. My teacher takes a guess at what she THINKS is going to be asked, tells us to write an essay and then moves on from the topic. WHAT DO WE ACTUALLY NEED TO KNOW FOR PARTITION

I didn't do unionism last year so I can't help you there. Sorry. :frown:

I would definitely learn Easter Rising, Home Rule...it's hard to predict. Only my school and like 2 others predicted N.I would come up last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by marytier
Doing the nationalism 1800-1900 and partition this year and finding nationalism 1800-1900 vvv hard, purely because I have no idea how to structure my answer and have no idea how I will be able to do the essay in an hour! Stressing out so much right now cos am only starting to write my notes but have no idea how to structure them, if anyone has any tips or advice or whatever I would really appreciate it!

Structure in chronological order.

As for answering, you have to focus on the question. Summarise, onlu go into detail if necessary.

Quick Reply