The Student Room Group

Law Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wrf95
Not at all, I didn't have any legal work experience at all when I applied (in fact, technically speaking, I still don't) so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Just make sure your personal statement shows that you are genuinely interested in the subject, rather than just applying because it sounds good etc - and obviously get a good score on the LNAT if you are applying to LNAT universities

How did you prepare for the LNAT and is there any books or required reading you would recommend, both about the LNAT and Law in general?
Reply 41
Original post by veritymac
How did you prepare for the LNAT and is there any books or required reading you would recommend, both about the LNAT and Law in general?

For the LNAT, I got Mark Shepherd's book - and just used that to practice loads, for the LNAT you don't need to revise per se, but practice really does make perfect as it gets you into the mindset you need to be in to be able to analyse the questions etc. Mark Shepherd's book is what i'd recommend for reading for LNAT, and then in general terms - Helena Kennedy (Eve was Framed, and Just Law), Michael Sandel (Justice), Glandville Williams (Learning the Law), and then other texts that you might find good are the law machine, learning legal rules, the rule of law by tom bingham, and letters to a law student.

All of those texts are really useful, obviously you don't need to read all of them as most of them cover similar grounds, but as far as recommended reading goes in order to get a grasp of the subject - they are definitely a good start!
Really interesting study done by Chamber student and The Times into what universities Law Firms appear to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and noted down what universities each came from. Might be useful those struggling to decide what university to firm and what university is more respected by Magic circle firms. results from the Chamber Student and The Times are listed in the thread linked below

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899945
Buuump
anyone thinking of going to King's? If so, what A-Levels are you doing?
Original post by popcornjpg

Yeah I am , doing English lit, Bio , history and class civ
Reply 46
Hey guys - I have (almost) finished the UCAS cycle for 2016 entry (Law LLB), so if anybody has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I have firmed Oxford, insured Lancaster, and I have also received offers from Durham, York and Nottingham if anybody has any uni-specific questions! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OddFuturez
Yeah I am , doing English lit, Bio , history and class civ

Nice. I wish my school did classical civilisations - sorry to go off-topic but, what sort of time-periods are you learning? I'm quite fascinated by Ancient Rome in the time of Julius Caesar and Augustus in particular.

Kings will probably be one of my 5 choices. I want to apply to the Law,Politics and Philosophy course.

Lit,Bio,Latin and Psych. I'll probably be dropping either psych or latin
Nice. I wish my school did classical civilisations - sorry to go off-topic but, what sort of time-periods are you learning? I'm quite fascinated by Ancient Rome in the time of Julius Caesar and Augustus in particular.

Odyssey and Greek tragedy
Original post by Aquaxo
Hey guys - I have (almost) finished the UCAS cycle for 2016 entry (Law LLB), so if anybody has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I have firmed Oxford, insured Lancaster, and I have also received offers from Durham, York and Nottingham if anybody has any uni-specific questions! :-)

Hello,congratulations on your offers

I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge. Can I ask what your GCSE and AS/A level predictions are. Also what was your lnat score
Original post by Aquaxo

How important is personal statement because I think I will get good grades but my personal statement might not be strong as the top candidates.
Hi everyone, I applied for Law for 2016 entry too and have offers from Oxford, Durham, Warwick, LSE and Bristol so feel free to ask questions :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Hello,congratulations on your offers

I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge. Can I ask what your GCSE and AS/A level predictions are. Also what was your lnat score

No problem. 9 A*s, 1 A; AAAA (and A in General Studies); A*A*A* (and A* in General Studies). 28 in the LNAT :-)

How important is personal statement because I think I will get good grades but my personal statement might not be strong as the top candidates.

Really important - in particular I have seen London unis turning away A* students due to their personal statement. There is no reason why your personal statement won't be top notch if you give yourself plenty of preparation time, use your summer effectively and get lots of advice when writing it :-)
Original post by Aquaxo
No problem. 9 A*s, 1 A; AAAA (and A in General Studies); A*A*A* (and A* in General Studies). 28 in the LNAT :-)

Really important - in particular I have seen London unis turning away A* students due to their personal statement. There is no reason why your personal statement won't be top notch if you give yourself plenty of preparation time, use your summer effectively and get lots of advice when writing it :-)

I don't feel as if I have done much
Reply 55
I don't feel as if I have done much

You don't have to have done much by this stage - it is only March. I'd recommend focusing 90% of your time to your AS levels at the moment, and only really worrying about UCAS once they are over.

The summer can be used for work experience, reading, court visits, anything really that you think might be useful for your personal statement. I personally did these things, but only really began proper reading when I received an invitation to interview at Oxford. During this time I read quite a few things that made me think 'I wish I had read this before writing my personal statement', because I could have written about them more genuinely.

So, I'd recommend starting early - but don't be unrealistic and aim to read dull, hardcore texts. 'What About Law?' by Barnard, Virgo and Sullivan as well as the famous 'Letters to a Law Student' by McBride are books I couldn't recommend enough! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
So reading books about law is good to put on your personal statement?
Reply 57
So reading books about law is good to put on your personal statement?

Only if you actually enjoy them - hopefully you can find a topic or legal idea that interests you, which you can then go away to read about and talk about :-)
Reply 58
Do I stand a chance for law at LSE
GCSE: A*A*A* A B B B B C C D
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*
and a really good PS
Original post by Aquaxo
Only if you actually enjoy them - hopefully you can find a topic or legal idea that interests you, which you can then go away to read about and talk about :-)

Thank you so much, your advice has been very useful and made me more confident. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending