Original post by highfly
Do I stand a chance for law at LSE
GCSE: A*A*A* A B B B B C C D
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*
and a really good PS

I'd have thought so.
Original post by Aquaxo
You don't have to have done much by this stage - it is only March. I'd recommend focusing 90% of your time to your AS levels at the moment, and only really worrying about UCAS once they are over.

The summer can be used for work experience, reading, court visits, anything really that you think might be useful for your personal statement. I personally did these things, but only really began proper reading when I received an invitation to interview at Oxford. During this time I read quite a few things that made me think 'I wish I had read this before writing my personal statement', because I could have written about them more genuinely.

So, I'd recommend starting early - but don't be unrealistic and aim to read dull, hardcore texts. 'What About Law?' by Barnard, Virgo and Sullivan as well as the famous 'Letters to a Law Student' by McBride are books I couldn't recommend enough! :-)

That's such a relief. I've been worried that I haven't been doing enough extra things, but now I feel better about it. I have started reading Letters to a Law Student and I'm finding it really useful, so I'd recommend it to anyone else planning to study Law further.
Reply 62
Original post by CatusStarbright
That's such a relief. I've been worried that I haven't been doing enough extra things, but now I feel better about it. I have started reading Letters to a Law Student and I'm finding it really useful, so I'd recommend it to anyone else planning to study Law further.

I'm glad to hear it! Honestly, I only decided to apply to Oxford on Results Day, meaning I only had the remainder of August and September before my UCAS application was sent off! I'm glad I did work experience and court visits before then, but I didn't do much more than that x
Original post by Aquaxo
I'm glad to hear it! Honestly, I only decided to apply to Oxford on Results Day, meaning I only had the remainder of August and September before my UCAS application was sent off! I'm glad I did work experience and court visits before then, but I didn't do much more than that x

Well so far I've started reading LtaLS, I've applied for work experience at a law firm in the summer and I've visited a Crown Court.
I'm also interested in studying law at university!
I'm doing Classical Civilisations, History, Economics, Latin, Japanese, Critical Thinking, and the EPQ as my AS subjects, and dropping ClassCiv/Critical Thinking for next year. I've submitted my EPQ, so that's one less thing to worry about during exam season!
How scared is everyone feeling about exams? Suddenly we're halfway through the Easter hols - I'm worried sick, to be honest!
Reply 65
Currently studying Law at Bristol if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 66
I'm also a Law hopeful for 2017.

I'm taking Government and Politics, Economics, English Literature and Maths.

My GCSE grades were 8A 4B though I'm expecting to do better at A-Level.

I've chosen 4/5 university options so far. LSE, UCL, Nottingham and Leicester.

Have any of you guys done the 2015 A-Level past papers? Is is just me or were they harder than previous years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i am too a Law hopeful for 2017.

Have As in English Lit, Psychology, and Business Studies.

However, i'm currently Studying AQA Qual - Marketing, Advertising & PR Management - with predicted grades of D*D*D* :smile:
My GCSE background is Mediocre , but i've started preparing myself, in terms reading 'what about Law' and now i've just purchased 'letters to a law student'.
Which i'd speak about on my PS.

Looking into doing an EPQ ( going to ask my college whether its possible whilst doing my course) but fingers crossed aye

And during the summer, i'm doing NCS and hopefully, gain some work experience at law firms & visiting some court cases. :smile:

My Uni options so far are:
Birmingham
Sheffield
York
Lancaster
Liverpool

Providing that my PS is really good, will i have a good chance of getting into these unis?
Reply 68
Original post by Dann.It
Hi, i am too a Law hopeful for 2017.

Have As in English Lit, Psychology, and Business Studies.

However, i'm currently Studying AQA Qual - Marketing, Advertising & PR Management - with predicted grades of D*D*D* :smile:
My GCSE background is Mediocre , but i've started preparing myself, in terms reading 'what about Law' and now i've just purchased 'letters to a law student'.
Which i'd speak about on my PS.

Looking into doing an EPQ ( going to ask my college whether its possible whilst doing my course) but fingers crossed aye

And during the summer, i'm doing NCS and hopefully, gain some work experience at law firms & visiting some court cases. :smile:

My Uni options so far are:
Birmingham
Sheffield
York
Lancaster
Liverpool

Providing that my PS is really good, will i have a good chance of getting into these unis?

I think that the answer to your question is dependent on what each of the universities are looking for. A really good PS will certainly help you, but different places emphasize different things. For example, I went to an LSE open day and they said that they said that they find UMS marks to be really important as well. Others may say UCAS points and some may say that they also will do cut off's due to GCSE's
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by popcornjpg
anyone thinking of going to King's? If so, what A-Levels are you doing?

Yeah! I'm studying Law, French, Medieval History, Classical Civilisation andTheatre Studies. Any ideas on what they look for in potential undergrads?
I'm doing Economics, Government and Politics, History and English Language, and I want to do law at university. Most recently I have been predicted AAAC (C in History), but that's not particularly accurate in my view. If I continued all four to the end of Year 13, I reckon I would get something along the lines of A*AAB (A* in Politics, B in Eng Lang). I'm also doing the EPQ and submitting this year, but not on a law related topic.

I'm not sure about which universities to apply to. I'm quite keen on becoming a barrister, but in recent weeks I've looked at other career routes with a law degree - such as financial services regulation - that look very interesting to me. Regardless, I would be aiming for upper universities. The only problem is, I don't want to scupper myself by only applying to universities with entry requirements of AAA and above. I would also want to apply to Oxbridge as one of my five. And, I would consider applying to the PPL course as Kings rather than the normal law course, because that degree looks particularly interesting.

If I chose five right now, I'd say Oxford, KCL, Manchester/Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool. What are peoples thoughts on this?
I'm doing Law, Class Civ and Economics as well as an EPQ.
Currently working at ACC. I'm predicted BCC and my school targets me at ABB. My EPQ is on law in classical Athens (combining classics and law).

I've been visiting the Magistrate's court since year 10 and occasionally the Crown court, and I've also gone on trips to Parliament. I attend a law society once a week at my school too and I'm in charge of organising mock trials which is quite interesting.

My GCSE results were okay I suppose, considering I went to a regular mainstream school until September (I now go to a grammar school). I achieved BBBBBBCC and a distinction in an ECDL ICT course. The transition from mainstream to grammar was interesting, but worth it considering my attitude to work has changed dramatically.

I'm looking at getting into Kent.

Since the age of 12 I've wanted to study law. I took it upon my self to find out what area of law I am most interested in, research possible career paths etcetera. I'm interested in becoming a solicitor and working in family law or criminal law, my two favourite areas of law by far. I'm a bit concerned about experience because the law firms in my area don't seem to be accepting work experience, but I'm hoping my experience in the school's law society and my visits to courts will be good enough.

I also did GCSE law and I'm currently doing A-Level law. Will this hinder my application in any way?
Reply 72
Hey guys! I got pretty bad GCSE results (1A* 1A 8B's) as I didnt take them seriously. For A-Levels I took Maths, English lang, Economics and Chemistry, as of most recently I'm predicted AABB for AS. Also I'm an international student, any others here? I'm planning to apply to; Edinburgh,Bristol, Glasgow, Warwick/Aberdeen and KCL. I know KCL is a long shot but my first choice is Edinburgh anyways. I'm quite conflicted if i should do law with business economics or just do straight law at Edinburgh, but I'm leaning towards straight law. I've also done plenty of work experience, last summer I interned at an International NGO's law department helping them with Human right's cases especially those facing religious persecution . I've also interned at a law firm previously and am doing so this summer.
(edited 7 years ago)
I also have not fantastic GCSEs - 1A*, 5As, 3Bs and a C - I'm hoping this done not hinder me too greatly as long as my personal statement/predicted grades/AS grade are good enough. I guess I'll find out though.
Reply 74
Original post by andrewdwilliams
I also have not fantastic GCSEs - 1A*, 5As, 3Bs and a C - I'm hoping this done not hinder me too greatly as long as my personal statement/predicted grades/AS grade are good enough. I guess I'll find out though.

You should be fine, I've seen a number of students from my school get into the worlds best Uni's without great GCSE results as they didnt take them seriously either - so just as long as you ace you AS and get good predicted grades you'll be fine. Where you hoping to apply to?
Original post by haseeb98
You should be fine, I've seen a number of students from my school get into the worlds best Uni's without great GCSE results as they didnt take them seriously either - so just as long as you ace you AS and get good predicted grades you'll be fine. Where you hoping to apply to?

I'm going to try for Oxford, and then probably KCL, Birmingham, possibly Queen's University Belfast, and then Liverpool. Not particularly firm on this yet though - going to try a few open days and get a feel for some places. I'm quite keen on applying to Oxford and KCL though.
Original post by Wrf95
Currently studying Law at Bristol if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to help :smile:

Hi, I'd really love to study Law at Bristol, but i believe that my GCSE grades aren't of a high enough standard. I received 1A* 4 A's & 5B's, but i'm hoping to achieve at least 3 A's at AS and the same, if not higher at A2. Do I stand any chance of getting into Bristol?
Hello, I wonder if anyone would give me advice or their thoughts on my situation..?

I'm 18 years old, and am in a real quandary. I have always hoped/intended to study Law, and now everything seems to be unraveling at an alarming rate...

I am in Y13, sitting A2's in Philosophy, History and Maths this month, however I took the decision to leave school and study from home at Christmas, due to significant and demanding responsibilities at home, and a lack of real support from school .
My mother is a single parent and was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, the last 4 years have been a hideous cycle of treatment and surgery which have been grueling. My elder brother is at university in Zurich, so although he is supportive, it is difficult for him to help practically. We live hundreds of miles away from any family members and things are pretty dire. My mum has gone from being a gregarious, happy, funny woman to a reclusive, immobile and very anxious shadow of her former self. I do the vast majority of the housework, shopping, I walk the dogs, deal with bills/money etc, as well as working part-time and this has impacted greatly on my ability to concentrate on school work .School are aware of my situation, and are empathetic, but the school was put into special measures in January, due mainly to an inherent lack of pastoral support, which regretfully, I have to say is wholly justified.
GCSE - 4A*, 7A,
AS -AABBC
I know I would have done much better if I hadn't been in this situation, and it frustrates me. I have excellent work experience, I was on the Oxford University Pathways to Law programme, and led our school debating team to victory in 2014. I speak another European language fluently (self taught) and intend to learn more.
My question is this... I am predicted A* AA at A2, but I feel thoroughly unprepared, depressed and incredibly hopeless...I do not feel I will give my best...I am wondering whether to postpone sitting my A2 exams until next June? My mum has finished all her surgery and treatment (April) and so we are now looking forward to a much better times ahead. Do you think it may be prudent to concentrate fully on studying for my A2 exams and sit them for the first time in June 2017, rather than sitting them this year, performing badly, and having to re-sit? This could be explained in my UCAS application, and I feel I would easily reach my predicted grades without the dreadful emotional strain I have been under for the last 4 years. Basically, I don't want to under-perform this year, and then have to resit next year.
What does everyone think? I'm sorry to ramble, but I'm in such a pickle...any thoughts or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank guys.
Original post by Feilding97
Hello, I wonder if anyone would give me advice or their thoughts on my situation..?

What does everyone think? I'm sorry to ramble, but I'm in such a pickle...any thoughts or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank guys.

Firstly, I'm sorry for your situation, and I'm glad things are looking up.
Secondly - will the same subjects on the same specification be available to take exams in next year, because of the reforms? I would call up the exam boards and pester them into giving you an answer. If so, then I, personally, would take the year out. You sound massively overworked (understandably!) and if you think you'd get better grades and you could explain it to the unis you apply to, it seems like a good idea.
Original post by Aquaxo
Hey guys - I have (almost) finished the UCAS cycle for 2016 entry (Law LLB), so if anybody has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I have firmed Oxford, insured Lancaster, and I have also received offers from Durham, York and Nottingham if anybody has any uni-specific questions! :-)

what grades did you get at AS if you dont mind me asking? I'm in year 12 atm just trying to get rough idea lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending