The Student Room Group

Law Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roarchika
Firstly, I'm sorry for your situation, and I'm glad things are looking up.
Secondly - will the same subjects on the same specification be available to take exams in next year, because of the reforms? I would call up the exam boards and pester them into giving you an answer. If so, then I, personally, would take the year out. You sound massively overworked (understandably!) and if you think you'd get better grades and you could explain it to the unis you apply to, it seems like a good idea.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
I have called up the exam boards, and they've confirmed that the same spec will be available next year...so yes, I think I will take the year out and sit them next year.
Reply 81
Original post by toetothunder
what grades did you get at AS if you dont mind me asking? I'm in year 12 atm just trying to get rough idea lol

5 As at AS (but one was General Studies!) x
Original post by oliviagsdj
Hi, I'd really love to study Law at Bristol, but i believe that my GCSE grades aren't of a high enough standard. I received 1A* 4 A's & 5B's, but i'm hoping to achieve at least 3 A's at AS and the same, if not higher at A2. Do I stand any chance of getting into Bristol?

Bristol application weighting:

A-level (or equivalent): 40%

GCSEs : 20%

Personal statement: 15%

Additional test (LNAT): 25%

so this might be me idk... Im year 13 and have offers for Spanish and Arabic but debating taking a gap year and applying for law...
I'm legit in love with law ahaha it's quite weird :/ please tell me other people read law text books for fun....

forgot to say
GCSEs 8A*s1A1B
A2 predictions: A*AA (Spanish, French, English lit)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrewdwilliams

If I chose five right now, I'd say Oxford, KCL, Manchester/Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Depends on your GCSEs and LNAT whether or not you get an interview for Oxford. Your PS plays a larger part for your other universities, with KCL in particular giving a lot of weight to it and the LNAT. The others have good law faculties, and you'll need decent GCSEs, LNAT if required and a strong PS. AS performance does matter, but it unlikely to have a profound impact considering the fact that many applicants are now not taking AS levels, making it harder to compare like-for-like.
Original post by Jasaron
Depends on your GCSEs and LNAT whether or not you get an interview for Oxford. Your PS plays a larger part for your other universities, with KCL in particular giving a lot of weight to it and the LNAT. The others have good law faculties, and you'll need decent GCSEs, LNAT if required and a strong PS. AS performance does matter, but it unlikely to have a profound impact considering the fact that many applicants are now not taking AS levels, making it harder to compare like-for-like.

So *just* decent GCSEs, strong PS, good LNAT and great predicted grades then? Right, on it. But seriously, I might change my mind on the other three, but I'm likely to apply to Oxford and KCL, so those are some helpful pointers. Essentially, don't underestimated the LNAT, and don't mess up the PS. Besides that, work hard and get good grades.
Finally found the correct thread! I'm hoping to apply to Bham and UCL as my LNAT unis. Maybe Leicester or Manchester as one of my other choices. My GCSE grades are 7 As and 5Bs at GCSE, i'm not sure if that's good enough for them though. I'm hoping for 3 A's for my predictions. Do you guys think i stand a chance esp if i get a good LNAT score?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelstudent217
Finally found the correct thread! I'm hoping to apply to Bham and UCL as my LNAT unis. Maybe Leicester or Manchester as one of my other choices. My GCSE grades are 7 As and 5Bs at GCSE, i'm not sure if that's good enough for them though. I'm hoping for 3 A's for my predictions. Do you guys think i stand a chance esp if i get a good LNAT score?

As off September 2016, bham will no longer be an LNAT uni :colondollar:...
Original post by Dann.It
As off September 2016, bham will no longer be an LNAT uni :colondollar:...

You just made my day omg :biggrin:
Probably already been asked... But when is everyone going to start doing LNAT prep....? :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by eleanor27
Probably already been asked... But when is everyone going to start doing LNAT prep....? :smile:

Speaking from experience, don't go overboard on LNAT prep and stress yourself out! I bought a couple of books and did the sample questions which helped me to see how sneaky they can be, but I did these on the beach over the summer! The LNAT is similar to an IQ test in that you aren't supposed to be able to prepare for it easily (i.e. have a tutor) so that it's a good judge of natural ability.

Good luck guys - let me know if there is anything you want to know x
Original post by Aquaxo
Speaking from experience, don't go overboard on LNAT prep and stress yourself out! I bought a couple of books and did the sample questions which helped me to see how sneaky they can be, but I did these on the beach over the summer! The LNAT is similar to an IQ test in that you aren't supposed to be able to prepare for it easily (i.e. have a tutor) so that it's a good judge of natural ability.

Good luck guys - let me know if there is anything you want to know x

yeah it's the how much work over summer part I was wondering about
I'm a weird situation in that I'm a year 13 and I have offers for Arabic and Spanish (AAA) for this year (Durham) but i'm debating dropping this and taking a gap year to apply for law...
My school is crazy on admissions test prep- if i do need LNAT it's weekly 1-on-1 sessions with the headmistress from September at the latest ahahah
Reply 92
yeah it's the how much work over summer part I was wondering about
I'm a weird situation in that I'm a year 13 and I have offers for Arabic and Spanish (AAA) for this year (Durham) but i'm debating dropping this and taking a gap year to apply for law...
My school is crazy on admissions test prep- if i do need LNAT it's weekly 1-on-1 sessions with the headmistress from September at the latest ahahah

Oh wow, congrats on the Durham offer! If you're not sure about your course then you're probably doing the right thing in looking at different options; have you considered Law with Spanish Law?
If I'm applying for uni for 2017, when will I need to have completed the LNAT for? Thanks
Original post by Aquaxo
Oh wow, congrats on the Durham offer! If you're not sure about your course then you're probably doing the right thing in looking at different options; have you considered Law with Spanish Law?

aww thank you :smile: Yeah I've always wanted to be a lawyer for about 10 years ahahah... So i have all the work experience etc...
I'm considering that yeah and also Law with European law etc :smile:
Reply 95
For my GCSE's, I didn't really take them seriously so I got 4 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's and a Merit - which isn't great results.
I chose Psychology, Economics, Maths and Chemistry for A Levels rather than Law as I think it's beneficial to have a wider breadth of knowledge ready for a Uni degree. My predicted grades aren't great, with them being at B, B, C and D respectively for AS due to my performance and lack of revision for my mocks.
I also completed a Certificate in Financial Studies with A's in both units.
I did initially contemplate between a Psychology or Law degree once I started my Psycho AS lessons but am set on Law now.
I've been reading the LtaLS & What about Law? books and have a 2 week work experience placement @ CMS Cameron McKenna law firm.
I'm planning to apply to UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick & Durham. All require A*AA, except Warwick.
Do you think I'd have any chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by KweenK
For my GCSE's, I didn't really take them seriously so I got 4 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's and a Merit - which isn't great results.
I chose Psychology, Economics, Maths and Chemistry for A Levels rather than Law as I think it's beneficial to have a wider breadth of knowledge ready for a Uni degree. My predicted grades aren't great, with them being at B, B, C and D respectively for AS due to my performance and lack of revision for my mocks.
I also completed a Certificate in Financial Studies with A's in both units.
I did initially contemplate between a Psychology or Law degree once I started my Psycho AS lessons but am set on Law now.
I've been reading the LtaLS & What about Law? books and have a 2 week work experience placement @ CMS Cameron McKenna law firm.
I'm planning to apply to UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick & Durham. All require A*AA, except Warwick.
Do you think I'd have any chance of getting an offer?

Predicted grades for AS don't matter - unis won't see them. Predicted grades for A2 really matter, so if you secure some decent AS grades then this should be fine :-) if you were to get BBCD this might not bode well for the unis you have mentioned - this year was very cutthroat even for those who achieved AAAA. That said, your work experience and ECs sound great, so don't give up. Just try your best to get grades that outshine your GCSEs since this will make things easier for you come October!

aww thank you :smile: Yeah I've always wanted to be a lawyer for about 10 years ahahah... So i have all the work experience etc...
I'm considering that yeah and also Law with European law etc :smile:

Sounds like you have made your mind up :-) go for it! If you change your mind and decide to stick with your current offer over the summer then remember that there are so many post-uni pathways into Law. My mum is doing the CILEx route without having done a degree at all and she has been doing it in the evenings after work - she has her last exam on Monday!
Reply 97
Original post by livgraham99
If I'm applying for uni for 2017, when will I need to have completed the LNAT for? Thanks

This year was the 20th of October for Oxford and 20th Jan for other unis, or some time around then! I recommend booking it ASAP as the spaces fill very quickly. Don't leave it until late Oct/Jan to sit the test but likewise don't book it too early - the more time you have to prep, the better :-)
Original post by Aquaxo

Sounds like you have made your mind up :-) go for it! If you change your mind and decide to stick with your current offer over the summer then remember that there are so many post-uni pathways into Law. My mum is doing the CILEx route without having done a degree at all and she has been doing it in the evenings after work - she has her last exam on Monday!

Yeah- just kicking myself as I was offered a gap year job at the international law firm Pinsent Masons and I turned them down as I didn't think I was gonna take a gap year ahahahah oops :/
Reply 99
Yeah- just kicking myself as I was offered a gap year job at the international law firm Pinsent Masons and I turned them down as I didn't think I was gonna take a gap year ahahahah oops :/

Oh no! That would have been so impressive - never mind, there are plenty of other doors to be opened! Maybe you could reapply or apply somewhere else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending