The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im doing something similar - via Camp Kenya. I leave in the 3rd July for a month and going to be working in a school, elephants sanctuary and game reserve as well as safari-ing. Im excited!! Was going to the conservation experience but i always wanted to teach too (the poor kids! :biggrin: ) Makes revision easier having things to look forward to!
Donovan, you're so lucky! That's the one I really wanted to go on, but being my disorganised self and leaving it to the last minute it was full up until we start at uni. I'm going to Sondela Wildlife Rehab Centre, 1st-25th July (which isn't on the website, but I'm assured it's still a project...!) instead: not so much vet stuff unfortunately but still looking forward to it. Apparently, if you can convince your uni that it's "essential" for your course, they pay for you to go on trips, so that's my plan over the next few years!
Reply 22
Im sure ya'll still have an amazin time! I wasnt meant to have a place on it cos the vet only takes 2 people at a time, but cos I said I had interviews for Vet Sci they rang Africa and the vet agreed to take an extra!

Like the sound of gettin uni to pay for things like that! I already seen a Masters course in wildlife medicine...thats if I get the grades and complete the Vet Sci course!!! So got plans to be doin that in the future!
argh your all making me so jealous!
Reply 24
Like the sound of gettin uni to pay for things like that! I already seen a Masters course in wildlife medicine...thats if I get the grades and complete the Vet Sci course!!! So got plans to be doin that in the future!

Is that the MSc in wild animal medicine at London zoo/Whipsnade that RVC runs? If so Im hoping to do that too! Would be my ultimate ambition to work in africa or Siberia for a while (Im slightly obsessed with tigers and siberians are my favourites!). Im v jealous too! Would love to jet off to do vet projects but unfortunately I am completely skint so have no way of paying for it! Im sure ull have so much fun tho!!!!
Reply 25
tiny_tiger
Is that the MSc in wild animal medicine at London zoo/Whipsnade that RVC runs? If so Im hoping to do that too! Would be my ultimate ambition to work in africa or Siberia for a while (Im slightly obsessed with tigers and siberians are my favourites!). Im v jealous too! Would love to jet off to do vet projects but unfortunately I am completely skint so have no way of paying for it! Im sure ull have so much fun tho!!!!

Yeh dats the one I wanna do! I wonder how many people will wanna go into stuff like that and how difficult it will be to get onto it :confused:
Reply 26
Well they usually take a group of about 15 per year. Ranges from newly qualified vets fresh out of uni to old timers who want to do something different! I got to shadow an MSc group last year for a couple of days when i was at Whipsnade. Quite interesting really, the vet was teaching them how to dart onagers (donkey type animals from Asia) oh and doing pregnancy tests on rhinos!

Its fairly competetive, the only entry requirements are a recognised degree and some zoo work exp. Its not impossible to get on, 3 of the vets ive worked with have done it. One is now working for the zsl doing research i think, the other is at bristol. Its quite hard going, 3 written exams, a project and a spoken exam, but i spose after a vet degree it wont be so bad!
Reply 27
I really wanna do it! Wont get there if dont go and revise for these A Levels though!
How far in advance do you have to apply for the conserveafrica projects? I want to do the vet one next summer and would like to do the 2 week course aswell....and the orphan animal one but I think I may have to limit myself lol. Should I be applying soon to be sure I'll get a place?

I'll be doing it in my first year of vet med - people who've had their first summer holiday from vetschool, do you think I'll have enough time to do 4 -6 weeks?
Reply 29
im off to south africa 2moro!!!!!!!!!!!!! tehehheheeheh! ., . . . .im teaching kids computer skill primarily. . .starting up a library installing computers.. . . but i also wormed my way into getting 5days at the moholoholo animal rehab center! i cant wait. . .and i wanting to go back later in the year for a month,hopefully wth conservation africa. . . .but i cant find out the costs.

oooooo here goes! ill let you know all about maholoholo and wether its as great as it sounds.
Reply 30
Thought I'd bring this thread back to see how people got on with applying for projects abroad. I'm already saving up since I'd like to go to either Australia or America next year. I'm going to arrange it myself since all the projects I've looked at are really far too expensive. Anybody found any reasonably-priced ones, that DO NOT include flights prices?

Latest

Trending

Trending