The Student Room Group

The Cone Gatherers

Does anyone have any good advice for an essay about a turning point? Thinking of doing the deer drive?
Original post by chocolatechip_
Does anyone have any good advice for an essay about a turning point? Thinking of doing the deer drive?

Hey. I did the Cone Gatherers for the textual analysis part of my Higher English exam last year.

As for turning points; I'd say there are two major turning points in the novel. The first being the deer drive, and the second being the incident in the beach hut (when Lady Runcie Campbell catches the brothers taking shelter in her beech Hut).

Now, if you want to write about the deer drive, always bear in mind that it is when the Lady etc start to see Calum as twisted and not worthy of being regarded as a human; and Duror's mental deterioration becomes visible to others.
It also highlights the themes of good vs evil, differences in class and nature.

The beach hut incident is the final straw for the Lady and the brothers, as she is so disgusted at seeing them in her hut and Neil loses his respect for the nobles. Again, the theme highlighted here is differences in class.
Reply 2
Original post by Rainbownightlock
Hey. I did the Cone Gatherers for the textual analysis part of my Higher English exam last year.

As for turning points; I'd say there are two major turning points in the novel. The first being the deer drive, and the second being the incident in the beach hut (when Lady Runcie Campbell catches the brothers taking shelter in her beech Hut).

Now, if you want to write about the deer drive, always bear in mind that it is when the Lady etc start to see Calum as twisted and not worthy of being regarded as a human; and Duror's mental deterioration becomes visible to others.
It also highlights the themes of good vs evil, differences in class and nature.

The beach hut incident is the final straw for the Lady and the brothers, as she is so disgusted at seeing them in her hut and Neil loses his respect for the nobles. Again, the theme highlighted here is differences in class.

Hey there, studying Cone-Gatherers this year for textual analysis. Any tips? I am finding this the hardest part of english this year worryingly whereas last year it was my best part so I really am not too sure!!!!!!! HELP!??!
Original post by Jeff548
Hey there, studying Cone-Gatherers this year for textual analysis. Any tips? I am finding this the hardest part of english this year worryingly whereas last year it was my best part so I really am not too sure!!!!!!! HELP!??!

I take it that you're sitting Higher English this year?
Firstly, do NOT fret about your performance in this subject this year or compare it to last year. A lot of the time in English particularly, teachers can be extremely picky and harsh with their marking all through the year. This is done on purpose to keep their pupils on their toes and get them up to a standard that is higher than required in order to get an A.

Now, when you're tackling the first few questions in a Textual analysis, make sure that you are aware of all the themes that are often explored through techniques such as Duror's "tree" imagery. In case you haven't heard of this, the extended metaphor of his deteriorating mental state is used to emphasise his smothering by his hatred for Calum. Most of these questions will ask you to show how X theme or X character's personality is explored through the use of techniques in the given extract.

The last question - the ten marker - caught a few people out in the exam last year as it asked you to show the contrast between Duror's and Lady Runcie Campbell's personalities (I think 😬). My advice for this question is; learn at least four quotes for each theme in the novel (mine were good vs evil, nature, differences in class, the Lady's inner moral conflict, Duror's deterioration, and war), give a single-line introduction, go into as much depth as possible with your analysis and explanation (pretend that the marker is stupid), and don't bother with a conclusion.
Reply 4
I take it that you're sitting Higher English this year?
Firstly, do NOT fret about your performance in this subject this year or compare it to last year. A lot of the time in English particularly, teachers can be extremely picky and harsh with their marking all through the year. This is done on purpose to keep their pupils on their toes and get them up to a standard that is higher than required in order to get an A.

Now, when you're tackling the first few questions in a Textual analysis, make sure that you are aware of all the themes that are often explored through techniques such as Duror's "tree" imagery. In case you haven't heard of this, the extended metaphor of his deteriorating mental state is used to emphasise his smothering by his hatred for Calum. Most of these questions will ask you to show how X theme or X character's personality is explored through the use of techniques in the given extract.

The last question - the ten marker - caught a few people out in the exam last year as it asked you to show the contrast between Duror's and Lady Runcie Campbell's personalities (I think 😬). My advice for this question is; learn at least four quotes for each theme in the novel (mine were good vs evil, nature, differences in class, the Lady's inner moral conflict, Duror's deterioration, and war), give a single-line introduction, go into as much depth as possible with your analysis and explanation (pretend that the marker is stupid), and don't bother with a conclusion.

Hey, thanks for that and yes CfE Higher English this year!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown:

Last year's ten marker was: "In the novel, Duror is presented not just as an evil character, but one who might be worthy of some sympathy. With reference to this extract and elsewhere in the novel, explain how both aspects of Duror’s character are portrayed."

That looked like a hard question imo but maybe because I really can't remember the story all too brilliantly?

That is a good set of quotes. You did higher last year? If so what grade you get?

Please help as much as possible because English is my worst subject and I am scared as hell for it.
Original post by Jeff548
Hey, thanks for that and yes CfE Higher English this year!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown:

Last year's ten marker was: "In the novel, Duror is presented not just as an evil character, but one who might be worthy of some sympathy. With reference to this extract and elsewhere in the novel, explain how both aspects of Duror’s character are portrayed."

That looked like a hard question imo but maybe because I really can't remember the story all too brilliantly?

That is a good set of quotes. You did higher last year? If so what grade you get?

Please help as much as possible because English is my worst subject and I am scared as hell for it.

I too was worried about forgetting the story, so in the lead up to the exam I re-read the entire book by myself and it stuck.
And yes, I sat the CfE Higher exam last year and got an A. English was by far my worst subject; throughout the year I was failing essays here, close readings there, and textual analysis all over the place. All because my teacher was THE strictest marker ever and I panicked. Hell, a week before the prelim I was crying because I thought I was going to fail. 😂
It is undeniably the scariest exam as it is so unpredictable but my exam last year was so easy that Nat 5 pupils could have done it! If you feel the need to get a tutor, then get one. I did and it really boosted my confidence in all aspects of the papers.
Reply 6
I too was worried about forgetting the story, so in the lead up to the exam I re-read the entire book by myself and it stuck.
And yes, I sat the CfE Higher exam last year and got an A. English was by far my worst subject; throughout the year I was failing essays here, close readings there, and textual analysis all over the place. All because my teacher was THE strictest marker ever and I panicked. Hell, a week before the prelim I was crying because I thought I was going to fail. 😂
It is undeniably the scariest exam as it is so unpredictable but my exam last year was so easy that Nat 5 pupils could have done it! If you feel the need to get a tutor, then get one. I did and it really boosted my confidence in all aspects of the papers.

Many congratulations on the amazing grade! You clearly deserve it by experiencing the rough times!!

I do have a tutor yet I am still struggling. I could get a B not too much hassle but then the step up to the A is the hardest pasrt because I am raping for marks from all aspects of the course.

I saw your past paper and it wasn't that easy, but I am really scared, so unpredictable as you said. I had a TA test on Cone Gatherers today and didn't even finish with 80 minutes never mind 45. I seriously don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by Jeff548
Many congratulations on the amazing grade! You clearly deserve it by experiencing the rough times!!

I do have a tutor yet I am still struggling. I could get a B not too much hassle but then the step up to the A is the hardest pasrt because I am raping for marks from all aspects of the course.

I saw your past paper and it wasn't that easy, but I am really scared, so unpredictable as you said. I had a TA test on Cone Gatherers today and didn't even finish with 80 minutes never mind 45. I seriously don't know what to do :frown:

Why, thank you very much.

After I started with my tutor, it took about two months for me to start seeing a difference in my marks. It is simply just the nature of the subject; it is a skill that requires long periods of practice.
Just remember that you do have your folio to help boost your grade.
Ah, timing is a bitch. At this stage, your speed matters little. Once you grasp the answering of the questions themselves, speed comes. Last year I never finished anything properly in time in practice tests and the prelim, then come the SQA exam I had finished everything with about ten minutes to spare! This actually freaked me out because I thought I'd missed things out or was too brief.

Keep doing what you're doing, you'll be fine. 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending